Are relationships based on looks?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not specifically. On some level you want to be attracted to the person but that could mean being attracted to their personality. I once dated a guy who was the sweetest thing on the planet and I really cared for him. I didn't necessarily find him to be the most attractive man i'd ever seen, but he was so kind and respectful in all aspects of our relationship that I started to find him sexually attractive. Some of my friends (who are no longer my friends) kept drilling me about why I would date him because they didn't find him attractive at all. I ignored them because he was a great guy and I loved being with him. So attraction is based on different things and is brought out under different circumstances.

What Girls Said 4

• Different relationships are based on different things.

I would say that most people want to be physically attracted to the person they're in a relationship with, but I wouldn't say that that means the relationship is "based on looks".

• initially...

• 0|1
  • No, but looks do matter... you are attracted to every aspect of your partner, or at least, you should be...

• I should probably kill myself then. I'm too ugly for anybody even the average guys. The one guy I like is nowhere near supermodel, but I'm still worse than him that's why I can't tell him I like him. I don't feel good enough to start a relationship. I hate that looks matter so much :(

• Well, that escalated quickly? My point was that looks are NOT everything. My point was that when you are attracted to somebody, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. All that matters is YOU find them attractive. The guy I'm crushing on right now isn't cute, really... but I love his crooked nose. I love his odd face shape. I like the fact that he's small in stature. Looks matter - but not much. And for goodness sake don't speak that way! Out of the many people on this earth, there's bound to be somebody who finds you attractive.@rachel3421

What Guys Said 2

• In the early stages of dating, looks are highly important. I want to feel attracted to the woman I'm with, and I want her to feel attracted to me. As time goes on, the individual personalities become the most important aspect. Short-term interest and long-term compatibility are two very different things.

• Not so much but it matters but if I want choose only one it is either beauty of face or beauty of heart then I will choose beauty of heart.