Would you date a pilot?

Why do so many women gravitate towards pilots? Within my flying school, just about every pilot is taken and most airline pilots are married. What appeals to the majority about pilots if most of them carry massive egos, are stuck up in general when theu are basically glorified bus drivers? What about guys, do you like female pilots?

Most Helpful Guy

• Only if she's a fighter pilot. I can be her wingman anytime

www.osan.af.mil/.../130313-F-HJ547-201.jpg

• Great pun! Although the ego of fighter pilots can rival that of an airline pilot, I respect them. They are protecting the country with their lives.

• @JuicyBrain Fighter pilots take risks and we don't. That's the difference, except for emergency situation and to benefit the lives of passengers

• @asker
      Fighter pilots only risk their own lives. Airline pilots have the lives of hundreds of passengers on their shoulders. Fighter pilots can eject. Airline pilots can't. Airline pilots are awesome. You are awesome...

What Guys Said 30

• Being a pilot, especially a commercial airline pilot, entails responsibility for the lives of others.

You also have to be pretty darn smart.

You have to be able to keep a cool head under pressure.

And you get to wear a dashing uniform.

Which all adds up to a pretty attractive guy.

For female pilots, no offence, but I think guys care more about looks than your profession. Luckily for you, you should have no trouble in that department.

• I get you there. To be a pilot, your health has to be in mint condition as health can directly influence your performance. I think women are attracted to confidence, and I guess it is why they gravitate towards airmen. As a pilot, you have to be confident in your own abilities and to take pride in your work to give passengers a sense of security. You have to communicate effectively in a team to get from A to B, as well as having excellent situational awareness. Every single action and thought can influence the fate of so many passengers. And maybe it is because women are attracted to responsible men?

• That makes a lot of sense :) Pretty cool you're gonna be a pilot. And nerdy username lol :)

• It was supposed to be Adverseyaw an aviation term used to describe aileron drag on the up going wing (that is at a higher angle of attack and hence producing more lift than the down going wing) causing the aircraft to yaw in the opposite direction as the yaw. This is why you must apply rudder in the same direction with backwards pressure of the control column and turning it to the desired direction. It would have been a much better username I wish I could change it!

• probably not, being an airline pilot is more than a full time job. when the fuck do we get to see each other ya know

• Yeah that was one of the reasons we broke up :(

• @zell0is0my0name they make em real pretty these days don't they? lol!

• In the past, airlines may have been more aesthetically selective but now I believe that they are more selective on the performance of the attendants now: service, being physically fit, able to work under pressure, able to communicate and work effectively with a team, dealing emergency situations in a calm demeanour, etc.

Yes, I have no idea as to why pilots gather so many attention from women alike; especially airport workers and flight attendants. They may be very attempted to stray from a committed relationship or marriage.

• i always thought being a pilot would be a cool job
    i think pilots do have a bit of sex appeal to the ladies, because hey are usually well traveled and have a stellar uniform

A lady pilot would be awesome!
    i think i would be attracted to all her stories of travel and flying etc
    never met a lady pilot

but last time i went to italy i had the most beautiful stewardess, i flirted with her/complimented her and talked with her for the whole 8 hour flight lol :)

Although being a pilot might be very boring if you do long flights etc...

• It still has a mystique about it - the daring aviator. It's also a cool job, flying a big metal tube at close to the speed of sound and not exploding.

Do they (the girls lusting after them) realise he'll be away from home, overnight, in hotels, if he does long haul? Or they he'll be doing long tedious hours if he's a short haul pilot, back and forth and back and forth? Maybe they want that, so they can have a dude on the side?

• A lot of women are drawn to the fact that their husband entails a seemingly glamorous career with smartly pressed uniforms and free flying tickets for them. I think most of them don't think about the fact that their husband's would often be under stress, tested twice yearly on the simulators to see if their practical and theoretical ability are up to date. I heard many pilot wives complaining about feeling neglected.

• The glamorous side of it was half a century ago - and in those days, the wives would be competing with the cute and perky under-23 stewardesses.

• Back then, stewardesses were judged aesthetically and not for skills and quality. Yes, with so many stewardesses to compete with, I have no idea how they met and why the pilot would be into them in the first place. But then again if it is not glamorous, why do so many pilot wives or girlfriends parade around with photos of their husband in their uniform and state the obvious? Look at the pilot wives blog.

• Do you get discounts? Are you able to share or hook people up with these discount? If you answer yes to both of them then ummm absolutely

• this discount* durr...

• I think you're able to give your partners free seats as long as the seats are empty and not booked. Passengers that have paid have all due priority on the seating. So if that seat is bought last minute, you will be kicked from it.

• a womens status or job does not impress me

• It sounds like you're pretty sour about it. I wouldn't like dating a pilot or flight attendant because they'd be gone a lot.

• When all you've dated were pilots, you come up with a conclusion from the conjecture of their behaviours. They constantly need to be reassured and need their egos stroked, trust me. At the academy, without your uniform they won't even look at you even if you do ground school.

• It's definitely quite a bit harder than driving a bus. I could drive a bus before I had my license. If I got in the pilot seat of a plane everyone would die, period, because I do not know how to pilot a plane. The ego undoubtly comes from being in high risk, possibly life or death, situations on a regular basis. Do that for a a few years and see if you don't have a huge ego too.

• Ego is directly related to machoism and that is an hazardous attitude for aviation. The cockpit has no room for egos and neither does it cater to fragile ones. It is good to retain modesty and you would get more respect from passengers and co-workers alike.

• I know. I have been on light aircraft and will later train on the simulators, but i decided to retain my modesty. You need opinions from your copilot on your aircraft. Become to authoratitive and they won't even have the guts to tell you what they find abnormal about the aircraft.

• Modesty while piloting sure, but in everyday life they know they can deal with stressful situations effectively. Everyone has an ego, its not always a negative thing.

• Of course I would love to date a female pilot... I am a pilot as well there would be a lot to talk about!!

• Are you a private, charter, instructor or airline pilot? Most airline pilots do not like their female counterparts as they cannot stroke their ego the same way a non-pilot would. Female pilots see male pilots as equals.

• Sounds like you had a bitter experience with one. My brother is a commercial pilot and I've met some of his friends, and none of them seem stuck up to me.

• Without hesitation. I would find her job fascinating.

• I heard that a airline pilot has a massive income.

I wouldn't care about what they are or how much money they get, I would doubt if a pilot has no time for dating and so on and it could be something to worry about (a cook for example is most of their time bussy with their job).

• Well actually, my career had put a lot of people off, including my ambition. It really only turns fighter pilots or other civil pilots on.

• I don't know.

• No because they'll always keep flying here and there and someday get crashed. She wouldn't get time for me...

• A lot of guys are a lot more realistic and aren't up in the clouds like most women do. Why do women complain that they are neglected after dating or marriage? Isn't it a given? Why haven't they thought about this before marrying a pilot? By the way, flying is a lot more safer than crashing. None of us want to end up in statistics and CASA ensures that.

• They're quite rich. That's a big reason.

• It's not something I look for but I would be glad she has a career

• Guys seem to be attracted to women in uniform. And I thought only women were the ditzy ones fawning over men in uniforms.

• I don't care what she wears to work if I want to indulge a uniform fantasy we can just buy the uniform off the internet

• Yea, "this is your Captain speaking in the (cockpit)."

"I got my hand in the throttle."

"Thanks for flying Virgin"

Female pilots make me think of these phrases.

• If the girl is cool. The flight benefits are prime.

• Yeah, I don't see why not

• It's probably the uniforms, chicks dig men in uniforms.

• Why do women dig men in uniforms? Have you seen Catch Me if You Can? All ditzy women easily fall for a man in uniform. It is the knowledge that appeals to me in a person. So a man that has hired a pilot uniform in a party will never appeal to me because knowledge is what makes the man attractive to me along with intelligence.

• I have no idea why women do what they do honestly

• Aye Aye captain.

• Never knew a pilot girl. But yes seems plausable. And their cloths might be sexy : D

• Uniforms signify a profession and taking pride towards that profession. It also helps a person gain confidence in their own abilities. However, I do not like the fact that uniforms are sexualized.

• I understand it. But girls do like to see some good dreesses on men, maybe pilots no? : )
      I do not mind to dress in a way that is pleasurable to a woman, i would be happy to make her feel that.

• Sure I will date with a pilot.

• Its amazing date a pilot, we can get the chance romance with her in the sky..

• Yes Free travleing

• a hot woman fighter pilot? i guess you added one more fantasy in my repertoire... .

• Sorry, not fighter pilots. Civil airline pilots. I would actually date a fighter pilot in a heartbeat. Our military counterparts do get more attention from the opposite gender because they are less rigid, take risks and are more daring. They tolerate more Gs than we ever will.

• Thank you. Yes it is me, not sure that I'm a big in flying school though. I think that fighter pilots are more attractive because they are brave and daring. In a woman, that is a plus, she can do what most women can't. The hero complex is attractive to men and women.

• haha i guess you are right

• Money.

Pilots are paid well.

And since they're never home, it's virtually risk-free to have affairs with men they're actually attracted to.

• I have heard that a lot of male pilots that cheat on their wives too. The pilot cheating on their wives with their status is much more common than the other way around.

• Many women gravitate towards pilots because it's a high status position that makes a lot of money, and it's common for the pilot to give people free seats. I wouldn't date a pilot because I believe they work really long hours and don't have much free time

• You are more realistic and I respect that. A lot of women have their head up in the clouds and complain about their husband's neglecting them after work, etc. Were they prepared for what they would be dealing with? All those women are so ditzy to fall for the uniform instead of the contents inside.

• a lot of women seem to want everything and if they don't get it they are unhappy lol. I've seen that far to many times.

• I have read that pilot wife's blog. She was so stupid, complaining about how her husband won't even talk to her much after she got home. She consistently complains about being lonely, and her husband won't sleep with her. Did she ever consider how stressful her husband's job is and how his drive may go downhill? He needs to focus on his hours and build up his career. She should get a job and stop being so whiny. How can a woman expect her man to take her with him every time, not receiving flirts from FA and airport workers, etc?

• I'd date a stewardess, but not a pilot

• Sure I would like to date one

• Why would that be though? What about the massive egos and the constant nurturing they need?

• Sure why not. It's a respectable job

• It used to be, in the sixties Pan Am style. Pilots don't get paid half as much as they used to and neither is it glamorous. What appeals to you about pilots? The image and respect they receive?

• Yeah I guess we look to them with respect and the responsibility they carry. I can imagine the different working hours would knock them about a bit though. Not easy

What Girls Said 15

• If we got along and I liked him, I'd date him. I was going to join the Air Force and become a pilot, so it is a common interest I suppose. I even went to NASA for a special training seminar, and I enjoyed talking to others about flying, space, etc.

I have never dated a pilot, though. I don't limit and want any type of guy, other than a kind, considerate, loyal man. His profession or hobby can just be an interesting factor. :)

• What stopped you from continuing to become a pilot? We need more women to even out the ratio. Never give up on your hopes and dreams because you'll never know where you will end up ;)

• Yeah it is a shame, but it's alright. Thank you! :) Good luck with your pilot schooling! I might be able to get a people some day.

• Ha... I put [P P L] and it auto corrected it to people. Nice one, G@G.

• I don't know any pilots... so I can't say.
    I think they have a bigger ego because they have a bigger responsibility - if something happens a lot more people die basically.

I wouldn't be attracted to an egotistical person - but maybe those girls are gold diggers (if those pilots make a lot of money) or they met them before they became like that... Or maybe they just like those kinds of people.

• Been there done that don't like the schedule.

• How did you guys meet? And yes, the schedule can be quite hectic. And pilots walk in packspreferring to hang around with their airmen friends.

• I see. I thought you would have shared the same flight schedule with him or do you regularly switch crews?

• We were both in our first 5 years of flying and on different equipment so the best we could do was to swap weekends for weekdays so we could spend time together. Carriers have unionized workers so the last man hired is the lowest man on the pole.

• No, my great-grandfather was a pilot and a serial cheater. He eventually left my great-grandmother for his secretary at the flight school. Talk about reinforcing stereotypes. Also I'm very anti-military so I feel like that wouldn't go over well.

• I'm sorry that happened. I think you may be right. Pilots have massive egos and they constantly need to be reassured and nurtured by women, especially feminine ones. That's why they go for school teachers or nurses, because they are nurturing, has a greater resilience than women in male dominated careers and they stroke their egos.

• i dunno because i wouldn't be able to meet him as much as i would want to... :/

• I don't think I would date someone with a massive ego and who was stuck-up, but in general I suppose being a pilot is about as attractive as any other profession. Well, not astronaut...

• one of my male friends is a pilot and i do fancy him but i wouldn't date him he is to good of a friend aand i always find if you date friends it spoils the friendship

• Well its not like I can drop by his work in the sky. Of all things, meeting (therefore dating) a pilot would be rare. I would assume they would need lots of confidence in a high-risk job.

• flying is way more complex then bus driving

its a lot more rare and they are paid pretty well. thats why

• Pilots don't get paid half as much as they did a quarter of a century ago. An FO starting out will get $25000 a year. Flying is three dimensional and because the up and down axis is a lot more complex involving the behaviour of the air, it is a lot more complex. If you look at the CAAP publications, ICAO, engines, aerodynamics and all, I can see where you're at. But this does not mean that bus drivers should be treated with any less than respect than us. Pilots rarely deal with passengers anyway.

• I wouldn't date a pilot, tbh

• I don't really see why I wouldn't date one. They make more than enough money to support themselves. I also heard that in order to be a pilot you need to be a strong communicator and in a relationship communication is very very important.

• I wouldn't just say they are glorified bus drivers. Little bit harder to fly a plane then it is a bus lol

• No, what if they're plain disapears, or it crashes. just no

• I might become a pilot.. Haha but yeah I've dated a pilot too.

• Really? How did you guys meet? Do tell me! Was he an airline, charter or private pilot?

• Wow and you are 16? He must be in his late twenties or early thirties. Was age not a problem for him? I struggled dating a guy 8 years older than me because he believed he is a pedophile by doing so although I displayed maturity and was career-orientated instead of partying like most teens do.

• Yeah it was a problem.. We were secretly 'dating' but one day my mum caught us talking.. And she kinda threatened to tell my dad if I didn't break up with him..
      He was 25+ at least. And I'll be 17 next Monday..
      Too many damn problems.

• yes i would.

• But they are stuck up, you should have seen the way they treat the mechanics. What appeals to you about them the most? You have to suck up to them and stroke their massive egos.

• Asker, it seems like you're butthurt over something. Please stop posting loaded questions.

• I am not. When all you've dated were pilots you would start to notice a trend in each of them starting with their overinflated ego. They also eventually get competitive over your achievements as they realize that you're going for the same position as they are. There was a female pilot that flew cross country in the 1940s where she met a male pilot. He asked her to marry him straight after the flight and she accepted. But over time, they divorce due to competitiveness.