My girlfriend dyed her hair pink out of nowhere. I don't like it. What should I do?

She is a natural blonde. She said she was dying it a different shade of blonde (that's fine), but she sent me a picture last night and it's pink. I understand it's her hair and her choice. I like her for who she is, first of all. I'm not going to break up with her over it. This totally took me by surprise. I actually thought she was wearing a wig in the picture. I don't like unnatural colors in hair (she knows this form a conversation we had when we started dating), though I respect her decision. However as shallow this may be, I'm very uncomfortable about it. We haven't talked since the picture (I got it this morning and she never responded, nor to any of the three texts I've sent her). Like I said, I at first thought she was wearing a wig so my first text was "I like the wig :D". What can/should I do? A friend suggested I say something like, "the pink looks cute on you, but I think you look beautiful as a blonde", but after reading another post on this site I thought I'd ask for my specific situation. This is new to me. No girl I've ever dated dyed their hair unnatural colors, and I don't know what to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't worry too much about it. She's not going to keep it pink forever. And I think what your friend suggested you say to her is good, but just don't outright say to her that you hate the pink.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is no simple way out of this, you can either sugarcoat it like your friend said, or just be brutally honest. Honestly, I personally would say I haven't made up my mind on it yet - let her see how she likes it first. Technically it's just haircolor, not breast augmentation or a sex change. Maybe it will grow on you once you see that she likes it. You might imply it later that you preferred the previous though, but I would let her coloring not go to waste first.

What Girls Said 22

• Well, you can try talking to her again but I would say at least give it a shot for the sake of her hair. Dying your hair is really bad especially if she's going back to blond. If you don't want her frying her hair out, see how you'd adjust after a while, if you don't like it she can dye it back once the color starts to run out.

• i think your friend has a good idea. power of suggestion. my boyfriend told me he liked dark hair on girls. since i look damn good with any color hair and am happy with it regardless, i went darker. not just to please him but since i can do any hair color, why not have my boyfriend find me even sexier? if your girl really digs her pink hair over her natural hair, then there's nothing you could/ should do... if it gives her confidence, dont take that away.

• So the whole colored hair thing is pretty popular now. It's not quite as unusual as it was even like 5 years ago... and fashions change so quickly that she'll probably not keep it blonde for long.
    SO you have a few choices:
    1. Wait it out, just wait until she gets over the pink hair look and goes back to blonde.
    2. Tell her while you love her, you think she looked prettier as a blonde, just as your friend suggested and hopefully she'll go back to blonde a bit sooner.

(i just wanted to add that getting your hair died can be costly and also do quite a bit of damage to your hair. So whatever you response, she probably isn't going to dye it back right away as this will undoubtedly severely damage her hair and also be quite expensive. )

3. Be honest and tell her outright you don't like it. But please don't let it turn into a fight, a fight over hair color is actually pretty depressing when you think about it.

• Get over it because if her hair will cause you to not love her you never loved her as a person at all.

• Just let her know you don't like, but don't use it against her. If she likes it, that's good.

• Dye yours purple.

• Let it be, it'll grow out and she'll probably re-dye her hair. I once had dark purple hair and dark blue hair but even though they were permanent coloring it washes out and starts to look bad so I ended up re-dye my hair within 2 months.. Couldn't stand the faded color plus.. It's un-natural, we usually get tired of it ourselves.

• Tell her straight up that you hate it.

• Just be 100% honest. That your sorry your comment hurt her feelings but it truly does look like she's wearing a wig and you weren't expecting her to go that pink.

• You need to support her. I understand that you don't like it but like you said it is ultimately her decision. Don't let something shallow like hair color negatively affect your relationship. Tell her she's beautiful. You don't have to tell her you like the hair color, just let her know she's beautiful.

• Maybe it's the kind of pink which fades in time, like the splat or manic panic?

• I hope so. She sees her hair as a way of expressing itself. If it were that kind, how long do you think it would take?

• I'm asking because I'm a blonde to pink and then pink back to blonde. Blonde hair texture is hard to care for so she may have to go to extreme measures to change it back. Some of those may entail cutting it very short. You may just want to wait it out until it fades and she tires of it?

• It may take at least one month but probably longer?

• talk to her and see if you guys can come to a conclusion. tell her how you feel if it really bothers you tell her but if it bothers you a little bit then just love her for who she is

• Well your entitled to your opinions but that doesn't mean people have to agree with it.

• Not helping. I wanted to know the best way to go about this, not criticism.

• You should tell her how you feel and what she does from there is up to her.

• Ok thanks

• Just let her do what she wants with her hair.

• First world problems.

• Just let it be, you can't really do much. Of course you can express your opinion to her, but do it right or she might get stubborn.

• If you really don't like it then tell her, don't be rude about just say it's not your preferred colour. Guys don't know this but their opinions matter, a relationship is meant to be truthful regarding the circumstances so I say tell her exactly what you think

• The only thing you can do is tell her you don't like and beg her to go back blonde.
    But I think you'll probably just end up having to get over it. Its something to get used to.

• Be honest with her and tell her you don't like it. NEVER lie to your girlfriend. A lie no matter how small is still a lie.

• Don't freak out. Pink hair eventually fades out. I don't think she will be patient enough to keep it pink.
    Anyway, just mention to her that you like it and you think it looks cute, but you prefer it blonde.

• Don't worry. Hair grows

• When I read "I like the wig :D." I cringed. That girl is pissed.

• "I respect her decision, but she'd better damn change it for me. #TotalDudeMove

• Hey, if she wan't to keep the pink, I won't say anything about it. I asked for possible answers, not criticism.

• I don't like it. It makes me uncomfortable. I stated that in the question. But I care for her and respect her enough to where I would just deal with it if I had to. I'm looking for advice. What should I do about the situation? Leave it be? Take my friend's advice? Do you have something better?

• Either be honest with her (and realize she'll probably be upset that you care so much about her hair color, though she may do as you say to keep you) or let it go as a temporary phase.

What Guys Said 19

• I like your friend's suggestion. It's positive, tells her how much you love and desire her, and gets your message across at the same time.

I for one would be thrilled if my girlfriend dyed her hair pink.

• Let her know you think it sucks, and love her anyway. Don't tease her about it, but if it comes up in conversation, don't take much effort to hide your feelings about it. Just be like, "ugh.. no comment" when it comes up.

• Not much you can do its her hair.

• Support your girl dude... it shouldn't matter what she looks like as long as you love her

• Dye yours pink too

• What you do is be nice but say that honestly you preferred her natural color. And then you forget about it and continue as before. It will grow out.

• You are making a big deal out of this situation.. LOL

Just wait for a while before she colors her hair back to blond... I bet she doesn't look that bad in pink hair..

• It appears that she is actively and purposely being disrespectful in order to see what you will put up with. It is also possible, sadly, that she has done this in order to create a reason to break up. She knows that you do not like unnatural hair, and won't even talk about it when she actively showed it to you. That is unusual and seems contrived. You could lay low for a few days until she gives more info, as she is, regardless, trying to get an emotional reaction from you.

• Dafuq no if she painted her hair, it is for herself.

• @Mesonfielde While yes she may have done it for herself, it is naive to think that choices do not have consequences. It sounds like they are in a good relationship, and she has done something which she knows he is uncomfortable with and dislikes. That is aggressive behavior. Especially as she won't talk to him

• Tell her to change it back.

• I would just let her know that I don't like the colour and leave it at that, but reassure her it's her hair and she can do what she wants with it.

• My ex did this right before she started cheating on me. Watch her closely.

• Bwhahahahaaaa! Thank god I'm single.

• You should talk to her. And tell her don't that again. And that it was a shocker.

• Maybe freaking the fuck out would be seen as alpha and she'd respect you more?

• I miss your blonde hair 😢

• You really can't say anything here. She's your girlfriend, she is ALWAYS beautiful, period. If you aren't willing to end the relationship, just get over it. Nothing you say will go well here... you are her biggest fan, right? If you cannot live with the fact that she has dyed her hair an awful color, your relationship probably isn't going to last very long anyway. I don't want to sound negative but, take her or leave her.

• yea dont say it looks awful, support her choice but at the same time voice your feelings as well. not that it matters though you should dye yours blue

• there's nothing wrong with telling her you dont like it, hell women appreciate honesty. tell her you love her as a blonde more, as personally preference but you respect her choice and if it makes her happy you won't make it a problem. you'll get respect for being honest

• it's her body let her do what she wants with it. just deal with it.