Is it normal if a (British) guy call you "darling" , "dear" when you two just met?

Does it mean he is kind of flirty, or is it just a culture thing? And I wonder usually after how long have you been dating someone, you would call them those?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm English. It's not a culture thing. Most of the guys here won't call you 'darling' or 'dear' when you just meet them. My boyfriend called me dear sarcastically from when we first met (11 years old) buuut only called me it seriously about six months inot our relationship. He's a big flirt though, I'd be put this down more to being a flirt than culture.

What Guys Said 5

• I'll disagree with @fauchelevent and say it's a normal depending where you come from. Many older gents and market traders especially call everyone 'darlin' or 'luv' down here.

• I think 'luv' is a lot more common. I've heard a few 'alright, darlin'?'s but the way this question was worded made me feel like this was a more serious way of speaking rather than casual like that. Plus, that tends to be from the older people.

• I've got that too! :P 'Cocker' and 'sparow' also tend to be used a lot around here. I think my grandparents favour 'button-nose' too and I'm just left like 'where are you getting all of these from'?

• @fauchelevent Oh they had some good ones back then, before everyone became too PC. I think guys these days are actually afraid to call a woman darlin' or dear in case they turn around and give them an earful about being sexist.

• Yes, in some parts of the UK it's part of the vernacular to use what to other cultures seems overly familiar language like that to strangers.

• Up here in the North of England it's not the standard thing but it's not uncommon, people always go alright mate when just seeing you and hello luv is a big one don't hear darling as often but it could be a thing.

• Probably. I'm not like that, but many more easygoing people use these terms naturally.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• Maybe its the way they talk? If you don't like it tell him that!

• It could just be a culture thing.

• It does sound normal to me. Usual. Not a part of flirting.

• No they wouldn't do that unless it's from olddddd people.

• I think it's more 'normal' than flirting
    Some people just say that

• Some people call friends babe, honey etc as a normal thing like they do that to everyone

• No it's not, it's just a term of endearment doesn't mean he wants to get into your pants.