Is it shallow to reject a girl only because she is short?

I argued with my guy friend. There is a difference between preference and choice, of course guys have a preference for tall girls but rejecting a girl only because of it... is shallow due to my opinion. We all have some pereferences but we can't demand all these as requirement list. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• No. If she's too short, it can be kind of uncomfortable. Also, height is part of the attraction, therefore if he's not that attracted to a short girl, then he shouldn't date her.

And most guys don't prefer tall girls. When I say short I mean like 5'0 or below. For a 6+ft guy, a 5'0 girl can be too short.

• I dont think so, height is only a factor in relationship, not the most important one.

• Not really. Though I consider being under 5'2 too short for my taste, I've dated 3 girls that were under that height.
      I'm one of those guys who would not date girls that are above a certain weight.

• People say guys reject fat girls are shallow but i dont agree. Weight can be change but height can't.

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean... Women reject men for being too short all around the world, all the time, without the slightest shadow of a second thought.

So, it would be the utmost height of hypocrisy to lay into a woman for doing the same.

• I've never thought of that, but after reading your post, I recall that I have heard women say that they wouldn't date someone because they were short. Funny I don't think I've ever heard a guy say that about a woman. Oh well I guess it happens.

• @adrianalima0 in Denmark, it is on contrary.

• Interesting!

What Guys Said 22

• "We all have some preferences but we can't demand all these as requirement list."

Why not? I don't think not picking someone based off height is any more shallow than other reasons people don't date other people.

• WhIle I'm always the first guy to say you're entitled to what you like and preferences, I have always agreed that rejecting people based on height (mainly when it's the 5' girl saying she won't date anyone under 6') is shallow as hell

And I'm a 6'2 guy so I hardly have this problem, so it's not pettiness

• Wait, since when did guys have a preference for tall girls? How did this blantantly untrue fact come about and why is it being perpetuated?

• In Scandinavia, it is.

• "of course guys have a preference for tall girls"

That's where you go wrong. This is some urban legend. There are countless polls around hereproving that it isn't the case - but the tendency is shorter girls slightly being favoured to taller girls.

"We all have some pereferences but we can't demand all these as requirement list."

Where do you make the cut? Which preferences are legit to be a dealbreaker and which aren't?

• Of course there are some dealbreakers on my list, but height isn't one of them as long as his height won't cause practical problems.

• I know it was a joke. I used the hyperbole and went along with it. What I am saying is - imagine a guy who has a foot fetish and he couldn't date a woman without attractive feet. Sounds absurd and silly and maybe shallow - but it is what he is attracted to. Just like you being attracted to intelligence. A guy could be the greatest person without being intelligent - but your attraction-cue still is intelligence. So in a way by your argumentation that would be shallow as well. But in the end all kinds of attraction are to some extent shallow.

And as I said above - tall girls is an urban legend. Just make your own poll here or look into already existing polls where guys were made to decide between short and tall girls and it usually was like 60-70% for the short girls. Important note is that its not a dealbreaker for most guys as long as she isn't taller than him (thats a whole different topic).

• That guys are into tall girls is like the thigh gap something that many girls seem to think but holds no truth.

• Yes it is shallow, just like if a guy rejects a girl because she is taller than him.

I think most of those "height requirements" are based on insecurities, but a lot of people are gonna be insecure so better just ignore them and look for someone who can see the real you instead of your height.

• Girls reject short guys routinely, many girls are crystal clear they wouln't date someone unless above xyz height. But still preference is preference. I can agree with you up to a point, it is shallow. I wouldn't reject a girl if she was short, but I'm a leg man she needs to have some height hence slender legs.

• First of all, you can't tell us guys what we have a preference for. You're in no place to do that. Secondly, if I had a preference for a tall girl, but I met a short girl who was great in every other way, I'd look beyond the height situation and still be with her. The world isn't perfect. Sometimes you just need to appreciate people.

• This. People should be like that. Not all conditions should be satisfied when you love somebody :)

• Yeah, if somebody expects every single condition to be met, then they're living in a fantasy world. We're human, we're not perfect.

• www.eonline.com/.../...umblr_m5qcuk4pcm1r3zat8.gif
    What? Since when do guys reject girls for being too short?

I'd say it was down to preference but it seems it's not considered shallow when girls reject short guys.

• Yeah, I think so.

• Don't women do this all the time?

• In my country it is something guys do, not girls

• Is it shallow for women to not even consider a man who's less than 5'10"? And even men 5'10" to just under 6'2" are going to have to have something else going for them to make up for their height.

• Well, it is on contrary at where I live. Girls under 175 cm have to have something else going for them to make up for their height and girls under 170 is out of market.

• i dont think its shallow at all.

• How do people relative height with love?

• what does love have to do with a relationship?

• its more stupid than shallow. i love short girls!

• As a 5'10 guy I can't date under 5'4 unless she is a stunner like Scarlett Johansson else I'll just feel like her dad lol

• BAHAHAHHAHAAH u serious anon babez? Ur kind if not all wants a 6ft giant and if he's not the hulk or what is portrayed in media, no babez would even look twice at him.

• But short girls are cute

• I happen to really like short girls.

• i dont get what this thing about tall girls is i prefer my girlfriend to be a little smaller not taller than me

• I am a short guy and I have come to accept most tall women and even short ones will reject me for my height. Once it is done nicely and not insensitive then it's fine. It's better than leading someone up the garden path.

• Depends on how short. If its so short that you feel it would get in the way of being comfortable, when it comes to talking face to face, walking side by side to look at each other, feeling like you are walking with someone who could be mistaken as your child, etc...

• Odd, I thought guys get rejected for being short.

• Both are shallow due to my opinion. I thought height is only a factor?

• Most guys like girls shorter than them and most girls like guys taller. Honestly height seems to be a much bigger deal to women from my experience.

• I don't think so, no.

For the record, at least in my country, more guys like short girls than tall. Some like tall, but the bias in general is towards short girls.

Where do you live?

• Denmark, where do you live?

• So you realized that scandinavian guys are so picky about height? :D

• Not from my visits, no ;)

But a number of Scandinavians have mentioned it here. Well, not that they were necessarily, 'picky', but that they viewed a stereotypically attractive girl as tall and slender. I'd say the stereotype in the u. s. is more average height and thin with some curves, with a LOT of guys having a petite bias.

What Girls Said 5

• Not really, you can't be everyone's cup of tea. Also big height differences can be awkward asf.

Meh, women do this all the time and don't get told their shallow.

• 😭 if guys really didn't date short girls I'd b screwed. I'm only 4'10 lol though my boyfriend is a whole foot taller

• I don't think it's shallow. I'm a tall woman and I won't date a man that is the same height or shorter than me. Its just awkward for me.

• Not really it's just a preference.
    Girls do it to guys all the time.

• If he prefers tall girls, then I don't see anything wrong with it. There are plenty of guys out there who like short girls and not tall girls. People have the right to their preferences and they shouldn't be considered shallow for having them. This is coming from someone who doesn't have a pretty face. My face is more masculine than feminine and I don't find guys shallow for not being attracted to me.