Sporadic Texting... What's up with this!?

I’ve been into this girl for a while. We’ve been texting back and forth for a while and every now and then (it seems when she’s free) she’ll text (even first) and we’ll spend a good portion of the day chatting back and forth over text. But then there’s a long pause between texts where she doesn’t answer me. Sometimes it’s an hour or so. Once, I thought I was bothering her so I told her goodbye and she texted back immediately and asked why I was going. This led to us texting again for a few more hours. Then days will go by when I don’t hear from her and then all of a sudden there she is again. I really don’t know what’s up with this. During the days when I don’t hear from her, I mean nothing. When I text her she will not reply. Is there any hope here? Or should I give up?

BTW: I asked her out in person and her reply was that she liked being single but wasn't saying no, but that she calls it hanging out. I took that as a no. The texting stuff has happened since.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't put all my effort into her like when you like a guy you will text him back as soon as you can and never annoy or not answer any of his texts. Back off her or keep her as a friend and find an interest in someone else.

What Girls Said 1

• I think there is hope, personally. Maybe. I sporadic text like that a lot, because either I'm doing something and I forget that I'm texting or I am in the middle of something where I can't can't text. I think she may like you a little but not enough to be in a relationship. Try being more flirty with her while you can.

What Guys Said 1

• What is the context of your text? Is it back and forth "what are you doing now, today, etc."? Or is it semi-serious? If it's texting you would do with anyone else, then as the above user stated; look elsewhere.

And with her subliminal "no" to you asking her out. You just seem like a far option for her.