What does "hang out" really mean?

I went out with this guy a handful of times but haven't heard anything from him in the last couple of months. He went away on vacation and we've started chatting again. He said to me "I'll let you know when I get back and we'll hang out." What does that mean exactly? Is it a date? Is it just friends getting together for a chat? What?

What Guys Said 1

• When I say "hang out" to girls it's as friends, and I've hung out numerous times with girls by saying "hang out" previously, and there's been no mis-commincation, so it's as friends.

• what if it is right after the girl tells the guy she likes him. And now, for the first time, he wants to "hang out"

• uhm .. it's hang out.. he may know she likes him .. but it's hang out (or it's how I would out it) but maybe there's a guy out there that has a different mind.

What Girls Said 1

• Well from my experience it usually just means like go talk or something like that