Do you think that Prom is overrated?

I understand many people say it's a lot of fun and stuff, but that doesn't mean that it's not overrated. Movies and books publicize it as this big glamorous event, when many people say they don't have fun or it was a waste of money or something else.

You buy a dress that's expensive or you rent a tux that you try and not spill food on and then you go out and dance and sweat and that's it? You rent a limo for one night of stardom. I understand that it's nice to go out of High School with a huge bang and everyone looks their best and such, but why spend hours with people who you probably never talked to, the majority of your high school career?

Is it better to go with a date? Or with friends? Or a date and friends? Is it too much money? Is it really all the movies had made it up to me? Is it really that fun? Should you go at least once?

I want to hear both sides--boys and girls, those who went, those who didn't, those who plan on going, and those who aren't. I wanna hear some opinions.

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol I went last year (jr. Sr. At my school) and it was nerve racking girlfriends house. Her dad made jokes about killing me. Got stabbed by the flower or whatever by her grandma lol but it was a great time I'd recommend going if you can, ours was a lot of fun and I got to spend some time with my gal and she was all dressed up and all so she felt pretty it was just a win win situation =P but I don't know who I'm going with this year I might just ride it solo or ask a friend I don't know just do what You want were young so party up! I XP

What Guys Said 6

• well your right about HOLLYWOOD and TV makes everything seem LIKE THIS IS BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE! Lol!

but don't get too discouraged ; I would tell you its your choice. being that once your over 18 time will fly by and you can't turn the clocks of time back so go for it. GO TO PROM. its kinda like one of those " ONCE IN A LIFETIME " things. don't miss it. enjoy it while your young. just don't get yourself all worked up for it. make your self crazy about it. just live in the " I Went To My High School Senior Prom Moment " ... Then You Can Reflect back on the Goodtimes vs the Badtimes.

• It's been 14 years, but I remember thinking it was kids pretending to be grown up, girls in overly revealing clothes that they couldn't fill out, or filled out TOO MUCH, more likely!, trying to look glamorous, and guys mostly looking glum because they were broke now from paying for it all.

• I didn't go. People made a deal out of it, but I had extremely few people in school I considered "friends", and even them I can't exactly just hang out with all the time. I'm kinda the guy who, at gatherings, sits in the corner and does nothing while everyone else talks and parties. I can sit in the corner and sleep with little to no social interaction in the school hall, why would I pay a hundred bucks for it? I paid well over a hundred for my after grad party and it was a fairly miserable experience.

• For nerds like me it was. Look, go to it, you only get one chance, but do it YOUR way, avoid hiring a limo if you don't want too, hang out with the people you want to hang out with and make it YOUR own, make it fun for YOU and ignore how it "should" go

• I didn't go to mine, a few female friends offered to be my date so that I would go but with all the money that is required just to attend its just not worth it. From what I heard from my friends from my school and others its not all its cracked up to be. Judging from what I heard and comparing it to the night I spent, I came out a lot better at a fraction of the cost. Sure you get to play fancy dress up for the night but most people just end up hanging with there date or with friends and not talking to the people they don't like.

Personal opinion: To much money for a night where you can do the exact same at the local mall at a fraction of the cost

• You should go. Just so you said you went...

I'm almost thirty and I've thought once or twice what it would have been like if I went to prom. As small as it may seem that sort of stuff sticks with you for years after.

I would go if I was you. You don't have very much time, and you only get one shot really.

What Girls Said 3

• It is overrated - but think about it as a celebration of leaving HS and the last time you may see friends for life.

I wasn't eager for mine - didnt' care really. Got my first date to a dance ever - and he annoyed the hell outta men.

had a nice dress, hung with friends.

It was fun.

Just go and enjoy yourself - it's the last innocent dance of your childhood.

Make it count.

• I didn't go to my prom. It thought it was pointless to spend money on a formal dress that I would only wear once and to be in a room full of so many people that I never even talked to. I also think it cost like 100 - 150 bucks just to get a ticket. It would have been a waste of time and money for me.

• I'm not going to mine. Tickets are expensive nowadays. I don't really like many of the people in my senior class nor do I talk to them. I could get dressed up and go to a dance or party with my friends for much cheaper. I also heard the food isn't that good from past alumnis but I guess that will only count for my school. Prom is overated . My money can go to more useful things.