Why is prom so important to girls?

I get it's all for fun. But why do girls obsess over getting the perfect dress no other girl has, the perfect hairstyle, the perfect nails, etc? Do they just want an excuse to "show off" or dress up a bit? I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. I'm just wondering.

Most Helpful Girl

• oh,the dancing,the food,the dresses sooo...F***ING ANNOYING. you never know how you're supposed to dance,the food sucks,your dress/makeup/shoes will get messed up in the process of getting out of that nightmare,and let's not even mention the terrible music,and all the crappy stuff you buy that you'll never use again. HELL NO. prom=hell

What Girls Said 3

• I don't like dresses, high heels hurt my feet, and I'm pretty sure people just get on the dance floor and dry hump the sh*t out of each other these days.

I'm going so I can hang out with my friends, and I guess "show off" a bit. None of my friends have ever seen me really dressed up so I think it would be fun to see their reactions... :D

• ha! it wasn't for me lol.

• Dressing up is fun. It makes you feel glamorous and its an extraordinary event, versus the humdrum of everyday life. A lot of guys dig getting to put on tuxes and do something unusual like take a limo or borrow a fancy car.

• kinda, but prom is like Valentine's day...they are technically for both genders, but really they exist for girls I think

What Guys Said 1

• Prom is like a one time memory, like a wedding. So they want everything to be perfect. That's why they put all the time and effort into 'being perfect'