Calling all drinkers (and those who've dated them)!
How important is alcohol consumption to you? Do you find it problematic if the person you date drinks less than you or not at all? Is this a deal breaker? Does it make you feel bad if you go on a date and drink while the other person voluntarily abstains?
Please don't forget to vote on the title question!
Note: The Poll is based on your personal experience.
- Yes48% (14)59% (16)54% (30)Vote
- No24% (7)7% (2)16% (9)Vote
- Don't know/no experinece with drinkers. I just want to see the answers.28% (8)34% (9)30% (17)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
I think there can be a successful relationship between a drinker and a non drinker as long as both parties are mature and responsible enough to
1. Understand that drinking in moderation is the key element. If the person who drinks responsibly and is able to maintain their thought processes about them then it poses no grave problem.
2. Choose appropriate settings. If you want to go out, then chances are, the non drinker wouldn't be interested in a bar type atmosphere. Of course they may go along if its like an occasional meet up with friends but it's not an ideal choice to casually frequent. Perhaps a restaurant that offers alcoholic beverages would be a better choice.
3. Understand that the drinker shouldn't pressure the non drinker into drinking. Sometimes people don't like to drink alone and they often want to interact with someone who's drinking with them.
4. Don't allow alcohol to influence natural behavior. Alcohol in some people can change their personality. If the drinker knows this is a problem, then they should definitely stay well below the limit where this may become a problem or refrain from drinking all together.
If the drinker is an alcoholic, then that pretty much will spell disaster. Sometimes two alcoholics can't even maintain a relationship. Much worse for a non alcoholic person to try and deal with all of the negatives from alcoholism.
Can a non drinker have a successful relationship with a drinker? Yes. Can they have a successful relationship with a drinker who's an alcoholic? Most likely not.1
- Show AllShow Less