Why More Guys Should Give Country Music a Chance!

Based on what I see on this site, I think more guys should give country music a bit more of a chance. What I've seen most often is an interest in heavy metal and more aggresive styles of music, however, my recent dip into country music has calmed me and helped develop on things we discuss on here.

Why More Guys Should Give Country a Chance!

Country music is about taking responsibility for your mistakes. There's a large opening lyrically for falling into alchoholism, cheating, and generally falling off track in life with a sort of apologetic--may God get me through this sort of acceptance to it. I think men carry a great deal of unconsious guilt for not being the men they'd like to be, for hurting girls feelings and feeling like that makes me not a worthwhile boyfriend to a future girl, and for maybe not having the success they want and getting more rejections than they expected they'd recieve. By releasing that pain and guilt, a man can move forward in and live in the light of his own frank honesty. It's also very healthy for relationships when a man can admit he is falling off and that he'd like to get back in the right lane.

Country music is about being a Good Man not a Nice Guy. It's about strength of character and doing the right thing because it's in your character to care and respect others whereas music from the likes of Ed Sheeran and other pop sensations designed for women are about being nice and respectful to the girl BECAUSE she is beautiful which is how this whole nice guy getting rejected fiasco starts in the first place. By focusing on being the type of guy that said guy himself respects he will gain confidence becasue he will feel worthwile to the girl and to himself. He won't be bothered by feeling of insecurity because he has countless examples of how he's living up to the man he's capable of being.

Country music is not racist. SOME country music fans are racist for sure. Some musicians could be racist too. Many hip hop stars are sexist and so are many fans of that genre. It's music not politics. There is nothing racist about the genre of country music as it exists today. I'm glad so many guys are politically aware and don't want to be stigmatized but I do think it's unddeserved.

Country music is not girly. I sometimes want to listen to emotionally charged music but as a man the majority of music that deals with the emotions is directed at fantasies women have of men that they probably don't really even want (much like the fantasies guys have of girls who are up for all sorts of unconvential sexual situations.)

I'm not saying it's the end all be all by any means, but it deserves a chance. As I said, it's calmed me down because as a man in touch with his emotions not many other genres are able to possess both masculine strength and emotional catharsis at the same time. Give it a shot if you're bored.

pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• Anything with Taylor Swift in it is garbage.

• I love this My Take. I think as a genre, Country music is really underrated. I grew up in the country so for a long time I just avoided it because I felt like it was just the default because people were from the country so they would always listen to it.

I listen to a wide variety of different genres including Pop, Alternative, Heavy Metal, Motown, Hip-Hop, R&B, EDM, Dance, there's so many. But I do like some country music.

The guy I am seeing right now is a huge country fan, so he's been guiding me to things he likes. But I like Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum the most so far.

• I don't like country much tbh but hey music is music and if I hear something I like then I'll like it regardless the genre.

• I think more people should give classic rock, grunge and metal a chance but 'it's too dark'

• I've tried listening to country music, but it's just not my cup of tea. I like music I can relate to and I can't really relate to most country songs, or I just don't like the sound. I'll admit there are a few good country songs, but for the most part, country music isn't for me.

• oh who would have ever thought that you had a soft side :P
    ok I get your point, I like the way you relate to country music and how it helps you evolve as a person. note that a lot of artists mixes a lot of genres like ed sheeran (Folk, acoustic, hip-hop, grime).
    and note that you can relate to every genre of music, there is bad and good stuff in all.
    what you like really depends on your mood, I for once have an eclectic taste in music.

• lol we all should have different sides!

i do feel like different genres are built around different ideas thoughh especially lyrically

• How about no.
    I don't enjoy my ears bleeding, thanks. Rock music, now... Rock music is poetry.

• If you're a newbie to listening to countey, don't forget the oldies: Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, The Carter Family, Buck Owens, George Jones, Dolly Parton...

You'll hear some REAL emotion and the truth!

• where's brad paisley? Not many songs are as feelsy as his hit "whiskey lullaby"

• @dartmaul15 damn good song thanks for the recommendation!

• That is a good song. I was just listing some old timers to try out. Brad Paisley isn't exactly new, but not classic yet either. :)

• do you listen to Garth Brooks?

• nope, recent covert. should i?

• nope i was just told that was one of the places i should have gone back when i was in Europe. have you been to the ukraine? i heard it's pretty dangerous...

• no, never in Ukraine.
      But you should visit Estonia.
      by the way why are we messaging in two different places? Why don't we just stick with the personal messaging site so i don't get so confused:)
      What do you do for a living anyway?

• That's great that you found something you enjoy!

I tried country music and just cannot get in to it. But I do agree that people should at least give that and other things a chance, so you will know if you actually like it or not.

• hmm well at least you gave it a chance! what do you listen to?

• Indie, rock, New Age, Classical, and soundtracks mostly.

What Guys Said 28

• I like old country, Johnny Cash Willie nelson, these days it is mostly a parody of itself

• I mean, I can't necessarily contest against your points. Lyrically wise, it very well may be about taking responsibility for your mistakes or being a good man. It may not be racist or girly.
    I mean, there are plenty of country stereotypes to be heard, one of which is:
    "All country music sounds the same" which would make it more of a cookie cutter formula song which kills a lot of the feeling from a song that wasn't handcrafted. The reasoning is because then the artist is just plugging in what they think a typical country song needs rather than taking raw emotion and forming it into something, if that makes sense.

However, I'm sure you could you could find plenty of country music that is raw emotion or really passionate-- stuff that is unique and whatnot. I'm sure there are some songs that fit into the stereotype, but I'm guessing many do not:

The main problem I have with country music is that I simply do not like the sound of it. I have been exposed to much country music living in Texas and having friends insist on playing their favorite stuff in cars, or on buses, or wherever it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind about it but have not found a country song I like. I ask myself why-- and I think it comes down to two things: topics and technicality.
    1.) Technicality: It is different for everyone, but I listen to music in part for the instruments. When I hear a shredding guitar riff or drum solo, I'm like "wow, that is amazing. I want to play that." Meanwhile, country has a lot of chord strumming on an acoustic guitar. Fingerpicking is cool, but for the most part, the musicality of country bores me. It sounds similar as well.

2.) Topics: I like some acoustic rock, yet I don't like country. How does that make sense? What makes them different? It is the lyrics. Something about the overarching feel and drive of the song is different. Perhaps rock (especially metalcore) talks more about dealing with the emotions themselves and mentions the problems associated while country focuses on dealing with the problems from the emotions and mentions the emotions themselves.

In any case, for the points mentioned in this take, I can find my fill of the share in the metalcore and rock music. There are plenty of emotional heavier songs that deal with the vices mentioned and overcoming them or just relating to them. Since I find these topics in heavier songs and like the sound more, I have no current persusasion to listen to country.

• wow can't argue with how well thought out this is. are you a musician?

• Yep, I'm a musician. Before I got into learning/studying music, I didn't really have a preference or taste. I just listened to what there was around me. But after studying music, learning instruments, and listening more intently to focus on what was going on in songs, my taste went towards rock, metalcore, and stuff like that.

• Sometimes I hear some good country songs but I never actively search for them since it seems like a mediocre genre.
    Rock and classical is where it's at.

• Fall Out Boy did rock in just like Taylor Swift did country... not sure why country gets a worse rep for being watered down when Panic At The Disco is still making music...

• I love it! But more the older stuff. The newer is Rock really.

• Country music really speaks to you compared to anynother music I feel. You can feel the breakup, finding the girl, keying the guys car, or even have a party. People can relate to it. Red Solo cup. Great example. Everyone has a memory of a frat party or just a backyard party of having a drink in a red solo cup.

• I like the music, not thee rednecks.

• No you need fast music in the bedroom, so you can be as quick as speedy Gonzalez anda le! Or feivel from feivel goes west

• I've never understood why some people hate country music so much. Sure, people have opinions on music. But I think some people's dislike for country goes far beyond that. I've suspected it's because of preconceived ideas and generalizations about the musicians and people who listen to it. It's perceived as some sort of redneck racist right wing music. While it does have it's share of nationalism, calling it redneck, racist or right wing is far from being true.

As for the music itself, there's a wide variety of what may be called country. Generally country music is about life, simple as that. Modern country tends to follow a proven formula, and as such tends to sound phony. But that's true of most genres.

It's still about life, and specifically about life of ordinary folk. Very similar and closely related to folk music, which has been around forever in all parts of the world. It's about daily struggles, about losing and winning, about love and heartbreak. And much of the time it's just about fun and loosening up. It's the minstrel at the local pub, providing entertainment for the ordinary folk as they drink an ale to relax after a day of hard work.

The older style of country is simple and not so overly produced as modern country. It's basically a form of folk music, played with just a guitar, singer and maybe some simple accompaniment. It's music of the common folk.

I'll also point out that a lot of people confuse country and bluegrass. While the audience of those genres have a lot of overlap, they are two completely unrelated types of music.

• I disagree, other than Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe and Garth Brooks. Otherwise the genre is garbage.

• Lol I can give up on pop and rock and other but the classic country music just, makes every muscle in my body tickle and tangle.

• I don't know, I prefer something more thought provoking. Imagine, working class hero, wake me up when September ends.

Country music is okay be too much of a red neck feeling for me.

• Johnny Cash is country. Hank Williams is country. Modern country is blah.

• People should give extreme metal a chance.

• wow deep

• It is, and I love rubbing my dick over how deep it is by explaining it to people. That was just foreplay. lol

• Not a fan of modern country. Waylon, cash, Merle now THATS country. Modern country is pop.

• Came to love country in the last few years. With so much of popular music being about gangstas and gigantic asses, country had songs about stuff I could relate to.

Brad Paisley's Welcome To The Future might have been my gateway song.

Alan Jackson's Drive is a perfectly captured childhood memory (and the final verse gives me a little pressure behind the eyes)

Don't even get me started on Reba.

• When I listen to today's country, I always think this isn't country, it's rock from the early 1970's. Lynryd Skynrd, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers. Seems much the same to me. That's not a bad thing; I like those bands; but why call it country?

The biggest turnoff for me are the cowboy hats. Really? Is that required? I don't anyone who wears a cowboy hat.

• country music. The only genre you can get a hit with a song named "honky tonk badonkadonk". That's not even a joke; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

Seriously though, here's some of my favorite songs. List is random

Alan jackson, midnight in montgomery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjegQY28W04

brad paisley, whiskey lullaby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJm2qV34sU4

marty robbins, big iron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlvPnE0o7x4

Bruce springsteen, the river: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAB4vOkL6cE

johnny cash, ghost riders in the sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mynzbmrtp9I

josh turner, long black train; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyRZTAmcW7c

and over to some country rock (warning, very very redneck XD)

bourbon boys, hillbily heart; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJltEILIO8Y

bourbon boys, moonshine boulevard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UZC9f7kiQM

• I am from bama, Pretty much "country" but Taylor Swift ain't really country lol

• she's the darling of the country industry though for some reason

• Cos she started out as it, She's only darlin bexause most country artists put up "fake image" nowadays lol

• I can't listen to it because it's like the Hallmark Channel of music.

I CAN listen to old country, like Johnny Cash and the Charlie Daniel's Band, but I barely know any songs.

And for calming down, this is a metal band (albeit the song is kinda progressive rock, but still a metal band):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJzvWSEBaBs

And for us people who listen to metal and "aggressive stuff" that stuff does help calm us down. It can also make us feel like headbanging. It can do both, and there are a shitload of genres and subgenres to choose from.

• good point about metal. maybe i was quick to judge

• It's okay. I think most music that people like calms them down if they want it to.

• It's the actual sound that makes it unbearable, not the lyrical content. What it's about is irrelevant.

• More from Guys
    8