Debt, Fighting, and The Perfect Selfie: Why Celebrities Need To Suck It Up Already

Since I am not a celebrity, I cannot vouch for the hardships they face in life. However, after following the not-so-private lives of these Hollywood starlets through the tabloids and social media, I’ve decided that celebrities have a warped sense of reality (duh). Life is tough and things don’t always go my way, but when faced when an issue, my only option is to figure out how to fix it and move on in life. Sure, it’s not my favorite way of handling situations that don’t work out, but that’s part of being an adult.

Think of it this way: When you were younger and you didn’t get what you wanted, your parents got onto you for throwing a temper tantrum. Well it seems to me that celebrities have become so accustomed to getting what they want, that in the rare cases they can’t solve an issue, they throw a temper tantrum. Let’s explore.

Kanye West

The musician. The fashion designer. The Kardashian husband. The man who doesn’t smile.

It was recently announced that Kanye West is officially broke - That’s right, $53 million in debt. My first question is how on earth can you even spend $53 million dollars?! In a non-Hollywood scenario, anyone would realize their financial situation is hitting a slump and would choose to live a less lavish lifestyle. Perhaps you would consider a new career, sell some of your belongs, or simply reevaluate your day-to-day routine. For Kanye, this clearly never crossed his mind. Rather than selling his sports cars or vacation homes, or perhaps dropping some sponsored instagram posts to pull in a bit of cash, Yeezy took the sympathy route and begged for handouts. That’s right, Kanye has been tweeting the world asking for money to pay off his debts.

“But I need access to more money in order to bring more beautiful ideas to the world” - As heartwarming as this is, I feel confident that anyone with access to $53 million could bring beautiful ideas to the world too… and not end up broke.

To top off the nonsense, Yeezy tweeted Mark Zuckerburg for $1 billion to bail him out. Though Kanye can bring some sweet lyrics to the world, he lacks the common sense to realize you never “tweet” the founder of “Facebook”. Epic Fail.

Ronda Rousey

If you saw this GAG question earlier this week, then you are familiar with Ronda Rousey’s breakdown this past Fall. The UFC fighter opens up about her depression from losing her title to Holly Holm in November and her suide considerations. She felt she had no reason to live anymore, and that no one gave a “sh*t” about her, so there was no need to continue living.

Ronda Rousey was the leading UFC fighter, and it only seems fair to understand that other people also work hard and deserve a chance to hold such a mighty title. Before the fight, Ronda refused to bump gloves with Holly and entered the ring with pure arrogance. When Holly beat Ronda in the match, rather than parading around the ring cockily as Ronda had always done, Holly simply seemed genuinely excited to be included and offered to help her partner.

Rather than congratulating another female who has worked equally as hard as herself, Ronda refused to acknowledge Holly and turned the spotlight on herself. Though losing the title must have been quite hard for Rousey, claiming she had no reason to live anymore seems a bit extreme.

There’s nothing more unattractive than a sore loser, and Rousey’s blatant expression of poor sportsmanship really shined a new light on her success over the years. Be thankful for the awards you’ve accomplished, but learn to support and congratulate those who worked hard for what they deserve as well.

Essena O’Neill

Though this breakdown began well, over the course of time the initial effect was lost in the sudden fame. Meet Essena O’Neill: the instafamous blogger from Australia who made a public announcement to quit social media as it was “contrived perfection made to get attention”. The blogger had over a half a million instagram followers when she decided to leave the platform, but the events that unraveled quickly backtracked her message.

After releasing an emotional video on her blog, Essena broke down about the problems with social media - the obsession with her image, documenting a fake lifestyle, and being paid to post specific items she claimed to “love” overwhelmed her with a false sense of reality. Essena strived to encourage girls to be real and not give into the pressure of being perfect based on the girls you see on social media.

The message took a twist when Essena’s fame grew. She was contacted to speak on television shows, give interviews to major publications, and she continued video blogging about the updates of her new success. What started as a plan to leave social media and live a normal/simple life transformed into a heightened popularity by simply shifting to new media outlets. Whether it was a publicity stunt to peak to new levels or simply an unexpected outcome of a virally obsessed teen, one way or the other - Essena’s breakdown was quite the opposite of her selfless approach.

Essena announced to Time Magazine that she is releasing a satirical book called How To Be Social Media Famous.

Maybe it’s just me, but I do not feel sympathy for any of these people. Being $53 million in debt as a celebrity, losing a UFC title, or feeling the pressure of selfies as an instafamous teen don’t exactly come to mind when I think about world problems. What about you? Do you think celebs just need to suck it up and realize the world has bigger problems?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• I also ask myself this question though: "Who's the bigger fool? The one who acts like a fool-- or the ones who follow/support the fool?"

I don't have any sympathy for Kanye, but in situations like his it is just exasperated by the people who continue to support him. If people support him, it essentially condones his behavior and gives him the go ahead to keep doing it. Interestingly though, many of the funds on the kanye gofundme page seem to be people giving $5 just to put their messages out there... Aka, the people with real problems (cancer, disease, etc.)

• Kanye is in debt because he genuinely believes that he's entitled to live a billionaire's lifestyle - and does, on credit. He flies around the world on private jets and vacations on yachts and at private villas that cost more a night than the car I'm driving. And that would be fine - IF he was earning enough to cover that lifestyle. The problem is: he isn't. The bigger problem is: he doesn't think that should matter.

Kanye is a spoiled, petulant child who has rarely ever been told "no" or been held responsible for his actions, and whatever talent he may have once had (and I honestly never saw any in him) is largely gone, and he's so out of touch that few can relate to him anymore. He survives strictly on his celebrity, which is part of the reason he is so desperate to stay in the media. But while TMZ will always cover his insanity, the rest of the world is going to lose interest sooner or later (probably sooner), and then he's going to be screwed.

And I won't cry for him.

• Yeah I don't have any sympathy for these jackwads either they got what they deserved plain and simple.

• Kanye debt makes sense body guard and you got to buy house a way from the public
    . you have to pay for your manager you have to pay for tours bus all that jazz. Payin for features on your album.

Also kanye is a business man and put a lot money in to failed things.

Rhonda is ok to why she wanted to kill her self.

Imagine u bet your house and all your possession and you lost that bet. You wana kill your self.

She built her self to be this champion this top FEMALE that women could look to. and she lost.

Seems normal to me why u wanna kill her self. Depression hits hard.

The last lady I don't have clue where she is.

Also kanye has the money to pay all that he just hasn't paid it

Rhonda rousey - she built her self up upon being the greatest and her pride and her career is that.

So both her heart and work was one and got broken. also u gotta think of all the public stuff she had to go through.

• You night have the whole money of the world and still be not happy , but I have no sympathy for Kanye West that guy is a false idol and I still asking myself HOW THE FUK ON EARTH COULD SOMEONE SPEND 53 million like on what really lol

• Kanye West lost it a long time ago. Let's all ignore him together.

• Kanye can go fuck himself he's been treating people better than him like shit I got one last rap phrase for him

Karma is a motherfucking bitch,
    Yo dumb ass is stuck in a fucking ditch

• I wonder how long before Kim leaves him for someone wealthier.

• Lol didn't know that Kanye was broke.

• Kanye needs help

Ronda will get over it

Mike lost and still had fame

He went nuts but was already crazy

And as far as as YouTube people go that ain't being " famous "

• I don't think anyone actually has any sympathy for Kanye West...

• Nigga you took that pic form get Kanye out of debt

https://www.gofundme.com/kanyesmedicis

What Girls Said 9

• Yup... idiots...

• Kanye is so annoying, but I understand why celebrities get into a lot of debt.

• In Kanye's case, I just smell scam.
    Kanye's WIFE is worth at least $50 mil, mb way more, I can't remember. And her family, yeah, holy $$$hit lol...
    If there were a real, genuine debt problem there, Kim could wipe it off the board with a single graceful stroke of her oh-so-fabulous hand.
    That's what you do, when you're married. You pitch in when the other person needs help. EVEN IF the other person got in trouble for collossally stupid reasons. The last two words of "for better or worse" aren't a joke.

I suspect Kanye is just trying to get a bunch of suckers to hand over random money for basically no damn reason at all... and I suspect that, to a significant extent, he'll succeed in getting them to do exactly that.

• This is what some of us call- rich people problems.

• The only one I can sympathize with is the last girl. It's very easy to get wrapped up in that scene and become addicted. I think she's confessed about having some type of mental illness (such as depression) either that sparked the selfie addiction or came out of it. And I thought I remembered reading something about her not eating properly (some type of eating disorder)

It's obviously first world problems. But a mental illness and the situation she put herself in all the time.. I do feel bad for her. It's quickly became an overwhelming cycle that she had a hard time breaking out of. She probably felt so much pressure to look perfect :(

• kanye west case makes me speechless
    i read that he is in debt but is it all true? i dont know.
    i pity his family

• Jayne west is obviously mentally ill. He does need help.

• Its all a money making game that's why I dont buy into celebrities as every story positive or negative has been calculated to deliver as much publicity as possible. Thats why they give their kids weird names. Nothing is scared nothing is off limits not family or kids. Its all spin there is always a sob story when there fame ebbs away or their profile drops then they reveal some personal tradgey such as rape, abuse, alcoholic, father, orphaned, drug addiction, depression, suicide etc

• Celebs are people too. And since they are just people like the rest of us, i sincerely do not give one single nuance of a fuck about their personal lives. like seriosly, just keep being famous , do what you do, and shut the fuck up.