Cringe-Worthy Oscar Moments That Make Us Wonder: Can Women Handle The Pressure of Awards Shows?

<a" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/GirlsAskGuys/videos/10153514429646376/"><a< a=""> href="Women" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/GirlsAskGuys/videos/10153514429646376/">Women getting emotional at the Oscars

Cringe-Worthy Oscar Moments That Make Us Wonder: Can Women Handle The Pressure of Awards Shows? Read on: http://goo.gl/25O5Jw

Posted by Girls" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/GirlsAskGuys/">Girls Ask Guys on Sunday, February 28, 2016

With all of the hype surrounding the Oscars this evening, I figured it was only necessary to share a myTake of my own to celebrate this prestigious awards show. Rather than focusing on the typical topics of best dressed or who won which award, I wanted to share a little insight into gender roles surrounding some of the most memorable (and embarrassing) moments throughout Oscar history.

It’s a known fact women are more emotional than men, which definitely plays into the events below. Now I’m not saying women don’t deserve to win these awards, but my question is this: Are women too emotional to handle the pressure of awards shows? The tears, the humiliation, the falls - Do you think the stress is too much for women? Check out the video above and read my recaps below:

Gwyneth Paltrow - 1999

Though I can only imagine how emotional winning an Oscar must be, Gwyneth Paltrow lets the emotions run wild during her 1999 acceptance speech for Shakespeare in Love. Not only did the media mock her for the sobs, but to this day she admits she still can’t look at her Oscar without memories of humiliation. Poor Gwyneth, I feel for you!

Sally Fields - 1985

“You like me! You really like me!” - I am sure we have all heard this quote, and we can credit Sally Fields for this dramatic moment of self-assurance. Though this phrase wasn’t verbatim, Fields broke down in a moment of pure elation stating her first Oscar didn’t feel significant, but her second Oscar really made her believe people actually liked her. She won two Oscars, shouldn’t that serve as enough validation without acting like the high school nerd who suddenly won prom queen? Sorry Sally, but you should have stuck with the humble thank you’s.

Jennifer Lawrence - 2013

I’m sure most of us remember the heart-wrenching moment from the 2013 Oscars when Jennifer Lawrence took a tumble on her way up to the stage in that stunning evening gown. Whether it was the nerves, the overwhelming excitement, or simply the challenge of walking in designer heels, whatever it was, the walk clearly got the best of her. Rather than letting this get her down, Lawrence’s down-to-earth attitude shrugged it off and reminded us that “sh*t happens” and don’t dwell on it. Cheers to Jennifer Lawrence for being so real.

Melissa Leo - 2011

Now I won’t lie, I occasionally drop an unexpected F-bomb. Though I try to limit its surfacing, every now and then it pops out during inappropriate moments of pure shock. However, no F-bomb drop has been worse than that of Melissa Leo during her 2011 Oscars acceptance speech stating it looked “so f*cking easy”. Sure her statement could’ve been much worse, but the audience wasn’t a fan of her crude language during one of the most respected events of the year. I guess a fancy dress and formal setting can’t hide who you really are. I’m sorry Leo, don’t let the haters get to you!

Robert Opel (The Streaker) - 1974

Alright, despite the tears and emotions, I thought it was only necessary to include an honorable mention and a bit of comic relief - Who says you have to be an actor to steal the title of most embarrassing moment in Oscar history. Robert Opel, photographer and gay rights activist, shocked the audience when he streaked across the stage during the 1974 Oscars. Though baring all was quite the risky move, Opel became an overnight celeb and later opened his own art gallery in San Francisco. Leave it to the men to lighten the mood. Props, guys.

LoveYouMeanIt is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

• @empatheticlady @bellepepper look, another admin sporadically appeared out of nowhere.

for the sake of contributing to the take, yeah it was quite amusing.

• @BertMacklinFBI - Hi! I'm that new admin that sporadically appeared out of nowhere! I am the new Chief Editor of GirlsAskGuys, and it's nice to meet you :) Please feel free to shoot me a message if you ever have any questions or feedback. Thanks!

• @BellePepper i had a really good feeling that you never received a mention noty lol

• ""Can Women Handle The Pressure of Awards Shows?""

Honestly, award shows are generally stressful, no need to be all sexist about it.

• How are you an admin?

• Looks like a lot of the women who posted here are shining examples of what the take owner is talking about.

Seems they're too emotional to even handle the internet lol.

• During a night of elitist bauble, is it healthy to assume they can't handle it, or the flubbed the prompter/looked unrehearsed.

Did Tim really bring Dekkar to the set of a movie review show? Come on, we know he killed Tom Cruise Heidecker, now this?

• fuck the oscars, who cares? lol.

• "It’s a known fact women are more emotional than men"

That is debatable, seems men may be more emotional they just handle it better or something. elitedaily.com/.../

• This year's oscar awards were epic. Seriously. A HUGE slap in the SJW's face.
    And to think i will be encountering these tribesmen in college...

• K that sounds awesome. What happened? I didn't see them.

• Lets be real these women are actors and are apart of the vulgar celebrity culture that sweeps the planet so they are "acting" that they are emotional to create drama and publicity. From the hour they wake to the hour they sleep the first and foremost thing on a celebrities mind is publicity ie how to get in a movie, how to get on a tv show, how to get on the news, how to get on a chat show, how to get in the paper, how to get in a magazine. Every part of their life is for sale including their families, tragedies in their life, abuses, illnesses hell even their own kids are for sale to generate that publicity thats why they gave awful names such as blue ivy and publically spend thousands on silly things such as a gold crib. Even when celebrities are having public disagreements like Swift and Perry its all bullshit for publicity. Its all an act and all part of the show so i think they handle the pressure just fine.

• Controversial opinions and arguments are the heart and soul of G@G.

• I don't give a crap if they're emotional– they just won an OSCAR! They can cry for years and it doesn't change the fact that they earned it

• Can't tell if trying to be funny or sexist

• I have trouble feeling sorry for Gwyneth Paltrow. She has been saying lots of self absorbed things throughout the years.

• I interviewed her for a previous job, and she is actually very sweet and down to earth! :)

• I'll just leave this here:
    s3.amazonaws.com/.../cate.gif

Flies away

• Riiiight... because men always react well when they win...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTR6fk8frs

What Girls Said 19

• I think Paltrow did an amazing job, she thanked pretty much everyone and it was great of her... What's wrong of being emotional about it?
    If you act for living, and you get this award... Dude, it just means too much.

I would be drowning in tears if that would be me.

What do you expect? "Thank you academy, bye"...

No man! You feel it and you let the emotions flow, you're an actor after all, actors don't hide emotions.

• Uuuuh what the actual fuck? I didn't know being "more emotional" suddenly meant that you can't handle pressure? If anything some of these gals were just nervous. Being nervous has nothing to do with being "emotional" or not being able to handle pressure. Being nervous is an extremely human thing that everyone experiences at least at some point, EVEN MEN DESPITE BEING "LESS EMOTIONAL". Oh and by the way, humans are all equally emotional. How we express our emotions/how we suppress them is what differs.
    I don't even know why Lawrence is up there? She tripped probably because of that big ass dress and not being able to see where she walked. She handled her speech just fine. I've seen plenty of awkward male speeches that sometimes went on for way too long because they kept fumbling, repeating themselves as well as dwelling on unimportant things. And what about that one time when Johnny Depp was extremely drunk during one award show and they had to cut him off?
    This take just reeks with sexist, biased bullshit. If this was a joke, it was executed very poorly. I expect more than this crap from an admin.

• But none of the men cried at the Oscars or went to pieces I think thats what the asker was getting at.

• @9mfeo thanks for the input, I've never watched a single Oscar show in my entire life so I wouldn't know who has or hasn't cried lol. Funny how she keeps saying that she isn't being sexist yet she insists that women are more emotional than men and "can't handle pressure". As if male suicide rates aren't an indicator of anything...

• Yeah really!

• Most women can. Some women can't. Same for men.

• They won Oscars, they should cry it's a great honor.

Let me just give my thoughts on the ladies you put up there.

Let's start with Gwyneth Paltrow., towards the end of her speech she said she couldn't have truly understood love, if not for her family and she thanked them individually. She talked about her father and the rough times he went through, that year (he had cancer, just FYI) So, if we pair the emotion of winning an Oscar, with her father being sick, you get that emotional reaction. Which is acceptable and understandable.

Next, is Sally Field. She said all she every wanted was the respect of the people and she didn't feel it the first time she won, but now she did. Which is what led to her saying "you like me". I don't think there's anything wrong with that, she wanted respect and she got and acknowledged that. I don't see the problem.

The truth is, you only put up two people that were very emotional and both understandably so. The rest, were neither here nor there. Jennifer tripped, that's embarrassing but it happens. She's only human. That Melissa chick swore, probably not the greatest idea but when your in a whirlwind of winning something as coveted as an Oscar, an accidental swear word is understandable.

I personally think the guy streaking and everybody laughing, is more cringe worthy than anything else. I'm sorry but being naked at an award show is not something that should be given props to. It's just not. Neither is calling out women who earned the award they got and were emotional about it. There's no right way to accept an Oscar, only the way of being in the moment and speaking from the heart. Which they did, can't fault anybody for that.

• I think it's okay to get emotional when you get a freaking Oscar. This is something people work for their entire lives and it's perfectly acceptable to break down when it becomes reality. As for Jennifer Lawrence falling in a dress and big heels that was completely ok if anything it made the oscars more interesting.

• Why is someone from the admin writing takes like this? Is this really the type of people I'm reporting to?

• @XNicholeMariex3 @XRabbitHeartX - I am not criticizing women, nor am I saying they should NOT be able to win an Oscar. I am simply pointing out some of the embarrassing moments throughout history. If you look back at the "embarrassing" moments you will find that women have admitted to more "emotional embarrassments" such as tears and falling. Men were more likely to embarrass themselves in more abrupt ways - such as the streaker, James Cameron asking everyone for a moment of silence for everyone who died during the Titanic, and getting drunk and partying too hard. It is a known fact that women are more emotional than men, and I can relate to all of these moments. I think you took the myTake out of context, but I do not hate women. Thanks :)

• @ XRabbitHeartX I agree. This is something that should be *removed* and would be if anyone else had posted it.

@LoveYouMeanIt "I do not hate women" You clearly do. Someone who doesn't hate women would not have been able to come up with all the horrible things YOU have to say.

• ... Not sure if you were going for humor or if you're a self hating sexist twat...

• @Prettygurl12 Thank you - I can guarantee I'm not a self-hating sexist twat :)

• @Minxxie I am sorry you feel that way, but I posed the question in a general sense. I did not say "Women should not be able to win awards" (that would be sexist! I do think women should be able to win awards, obviously) but I asked "are women too emotional to handle the pressure?" - I related to each of the scenarios, as they are completely understandable (and also embarrassing) outcomes of their win. See below:
      GWYNETH - "Poor Gwyneth, I feel for you!" - No shame for breaking down in tears.
      JENNIFER - "Rather than letting this get her down, Lawrence’s down-to-earth attitude shrugged it off and reminded us that “sh*t happens” and don’t dwell on it. Cheers to Jennifer Lawrence for being so real." - People fall, no shame
      LEO - "I’m sorry Leo, don’t let the haters get to you!" - an excited F-bomb, whatever
      The only person I didn't feel sympathy for was Sally Fields. She is an incredible actress, but she did respond in an arrogant fashion. No big deal, but she was boastful.

• Many people here think this was deeply inappropriate, as you have seen. There is nothing positive about implying women can't handle "pressure" you could have just as easily made the post about both genders instead of accusing women of being too emotionally frail to handle something. Winning an oscar is emotional for anyone not just women. It was inappropriate and not what I would hope to expect from an admin and it's sad that you can't own up to your mistake.

• Uh, was there a reason to use such a misogynistic tone or are you just getting in to the spirit of the community?

• Lmaooooo stop cherry-picking, some of these videos are literally older than you 🤔🤔

• Uhhmm. Women? Uh, sexist...

• that would be my only answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgu_x3yuoA

• Lol you should totally go on to work for BuzzFeed

• Buzz feed doesn't hire misogynists so she'd have absolutely no luck there lol

• lol thanks @Minxxie P. S. I'm not a misogynist. I support women in all of their endeavors :) Feel free to shoot me a message if you would like to get to know me better!! xo

• Yes honey you are, look at what everyone else is saying about your take. You should be ashamed.

• Yes totally. You're so right. Women can't handle the stress of the Oscars. In fact women can't handle stress at all. We should just sit home and sew to calm our easily excitable emotions.

^sarcasm

• I missed it? I think everyone missed it if you were going for sarcasm :/

• Men who win Oscars are not robots about it either, Kevin Spacey basically passed out back stage after his first oscar. You need to work on that internalized misogyny or you will lead a sad life full of self-hatred!

• Once again, I am not a misogynist ;) I can confidently promise you that I do not live a sad life full of self-hatred. I appreciate your reply, but I think your response is actually quite hateful.

• @9mfeo I completely agree, this is so shameful and immature.

• Oh, I totally agree.

• Every winner gets emotional.

• Weak argument and poor examples.

• I think it's alright for the winners to get emotional. I mean if they had a boring, uniform reaction that would just makes the oscars bland. And wow it's so cool to see those actresses in their younger days, from the 1985 oscars

• So because a few women got a little exited when they won an OSCAR women can't handle the pressure? This is the most ignorant, small minded and sexist thing I have seen in awhile.

And what the does Jennifer Lawrence falling going up some stairs in high heels and a big ass dress have to do with any of it? Don't you think anyone but women under "pressure" falls ever?

You're horrible.

• She's an editor too, that explains why this website is shit.

• This is a weak defense as you know that you made a bad decision.

• "Cringe-Worthy Oscar Moments That Make Us Wonder: Can Women Handle The Pressure of Awards Shows?" Yea that doesn't say women are the weaker sex at all..