My 6 Favorite Horror Movie Heroes of All Time

Horror films are so often franchises based simply on their villains that we forget about the good guys. The Hero of a horror movie is arguably on average more badass than the hero of an action movie as the best horror film heroes have to fight is pure terror. So here are my personal favorite horror movie heroes.

6. Police Chief Bill Pardy played by Nathan Fillion: Slither

Slither is a B-Movie throwback. The hero of the film is the small-town police chief and he is in WAY over his head but he still has to find a way to save the world from alien slugs and their resulting zombies.

5. Samuel Loomis played by Donald Pleasence: The Halloween Franchise

A lot of people are going to say that no, Laurie Strode is the hero of the franchise. The fact is that the title of the protagonist is split by both of them and the fact is that the Original Halloween is a FAR superior film to not just any other of the installments but to every single slasher film but perhaps the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the Original Halloween where Laurie Strode was running scared (which makes a lot of sense considering she is still just a kid.) Samuel Loomis goes running after what he describes as pure evil. He knows just how bad Michael Myers. He knows that the man is basically a non-robotic terminator but goddammit Myers needs to be stopped and he knows that he is the best man for the job.

These next four heroes were hard to put in any order but I did my best.

4. R.J Macready played by Kurt Russell; The Thing

R.J Macready is the helicopter pilot at a remote outpost in the Antarctic. He is the only one up to the task of stopping the thing and saving the world. What is interesting is the way that Mac's biggest character flaw turns into an advantage; He not only wants to win but he doesn't want ANYONE ELSE TO WIN EVEN MORE. He in effect sees the current situation as a challenge. The fact is that he doesn't care as much if he lives as long as the thing dies and that happens to be what is needed. He is a rude anti-social jerk but he is the best person to save the world from the thing all because of that.

3. Ellen Ripley played by Sigourney Weaver: The Alien franchise

I can hear the angry clacking of the keyboards at this very moment. The fact that Ellen Ripley only made it to number three is going to piss a whole lot of people off considering that there are going to be people who think she is the very best horror hero. The fact is that their is a case to be made that she is however I like the other two better. These last four were incredibly hard to put in any specific order.

Now getting on. This woman has fought xenomorphs time and time again and always comes out the winner that is a testament to her sheer badassery.

Please don't hate me.

2. Police Chief Martin Brody played by Roy Schieder; JAWS

You might need a bigger boat Quint but Chief Brody manages to kill the shark even though the damn boat is already sinking. Jaws is just such a phenomenal Adventure-Horror film and it put Steven Spielberg on the map and Chief Brody makes such a damn fine hero.

1. Ash Williams played by Bruce Campbell; The Evil Dead series

God what is there to say about Ash. That is a complete and utter badass. That he saws off his own possessed hand and replaces it with a chainsaw. Good, Bad, He's the guy with a gun.

What do you think of my list if you have any suggestions or disagree leave a comment.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

Cool movies, Ash and Dr Loomis are my favorite horror heroes here

Ash for the win!

I actually prefer Malcolm McDowell's version in Rob Zombie's Halloween to Donald's... I thought the remakes were excellent.

YOU MUST BE FUCKING KIDDING?

Nope, I know a lot of people would disagree but I thought they were excellent. I'm not so much of a hipster I can't recognise a good take on a classic, but not actually that amazing film. Halloween is good but it's not really a masterpiece if you look ya it properly.

• Awesome list! Dr. Loomis is boss and Ripley is one of the greatest female characters ever! Chief Brody in Jaws is hilarious and one of the few in shark movies with common sense!

What Guys Said 5

• Ripley is very badass and I couldn't agree more with Bruce Campbell! Bruce was even more badass in Escape From L. A.

Oooh, Slither. What a film :p

I did like sinister to be honest. Went on a date for that film too :)

Great characters, excellent movies, and fantastic Take :)

• Number 4, 3 and 1 definitely.

Ash Willuams really is an "Anti-Hero" more than a hero. He's too hilarious to not make it to a list like this.

I would like to mention Blade (Wesley Snipes), Seth Gecko (George Clooney) and Burt Gummer (Michael Gross) which I think could be good candidates to this kind of list.

The rest I haven't seen enough yet to remember, except maybe Jaws.