10 Video Games I Used To Find Really Tough As A Kid

In those games, I used to ask my dad in order to help me to pull them off. But playing them again as an adult, they seemed to be very easy, or just easier than before, still by a good degree.

(Games in alphabetical order)

1) Ace Combat 2

I made some attempts to play the game when I was only seven or so. But I didn’t understand a thing about it. It was my dad who used to play this game a lot. When I played it as an adult more than a decade later, I managed to understand it and managed to unlock many airplanes on my own.

2) Bust A Move 2

It seems like a childish game indeed, but it’s not so easy for a kid. Especially the Single Player VS Computer mode. The first two opponents weren’t that difficult, but the third opponent was. But I was surprised how easy they were when I played it again as an adult.

3) Command & Conquer

This was also one of the games my dad used to play. I didn’t understand it at all. It was like 1 and half decade later when I decided to give it another go, where I got the hang of it somehow. Neither ridiculously easy, nor as hard as I thought it was.

4) Crash Bandicoot 2

Someone would ask, why I didn’t include the first game, which is the most difficult overall. But to be honest, I find it still kind of difficult (the first game) every time I managed to give it a go as an adult. But on the other hand the second game is ridiculously easy now…except those Polar Bear Levels, where I have to waste some lives in order to manage to break all the crates. But as a kid I remember that I had a really hard time with the Ice levels, and the Night levels also, that I found very easy the last years. Also spending lots of time thinking how to get this Red Gem.

5) Croc

The game was well crafted indeed. But it had a very huge disadvantage: The camera. The camera made the game way more difficult than it actually was. And being a kid made it almost impossible to pull it through because of the camera.

6) Gran Turismo

Another one of the games that my dad used to play as well. Still I played it once in a while, but I was always finishing 6th. When I bought it again recently, I managed to reach it 100%. Still I was unable to make all License tests Gold. But definitely it was the easiest among my dad games.

7) Lucky Luke

Not the easiest game around in general. But still not as tough as I thought it was. The level I used to always get stuck was the one you had to follow Rantanplan. And if a miracle happened and I was able to pull it through, then I would always get stuck at the next level with the wooden elevators or whatever it was.

8. Mortal Kombat 4

Particularly Goro. I still remember every time I was about to fight Goro, I was sure that I would lost. Also I remember the first time I managed to defeat Goro, I was screaming out of joy.

9) Rayman

In this one, I still had difficulties when I played it as an adult. Particularly in a certain Level from Picture City world, where chances are you will lose at least ten lives in order to get through this obstacle. Well, those who had played this game, they will understand what I’m talking about, and how difficult it is. But as a kid, it was a miracle if I managed to finish Band Land, which I found ridiculously easy as an adult.

10) Spyro The Dragon

I can’t believe how simple this game is, and I used to find it really complicated as a kid. Literally it can be completed within just 4 hours. I remember having a really hard time especially with the Flight levels, and also gliding in the air, was a hard thing for me back then.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

Bust A Move 2 is my childhood
    but my frustration

Goro in MK4 was such bullshit. I often just cheesed him with infinite corkscrew kicks or frozen slide kicks.

Spyro!😄😄😄 oh so many memories! Omg yes that game seemed so hard when I played as a kid but now it's too easy to recognize all the patterns in the boss levels. I haven't played the very first one but I've played riptos rage and year of the dragon. Every time I'd get a bunch of gems stacked up, that greedy bastard would hold cute animals hostage till I paid him

But then you get to beat him up and take all your money back at the end😊#fuckyoumoneybags

When I was a kid the metal gear games confused and frustrated me a lot. I stopped playing for a while because (don't judge) I literally did not understand what was happening and it just put me off completely. In that vein ff7 because it was just way too long and I always forgot what I was doing and left it or a long time. I think it took me, cumulatively, like 3 years to beat ff7.

I've never played any of these games, but Battletoads is probably the most difficult game I've played. I would get so angry during it, but I was really little the last time I played. There was this one level where you and a second player would have to fly between pillars or something. The speed would increase as you go and it had us both (my brother and I) yelling at the t. v.

Yes I'm very surprised battletoads isn't in here. I agree it was hard back in nes, and still hasn't gotten any easier

How old were you when you played these games?

My mother bought Crash Bandicoot 2 when it was released, and I haven't finished it yet.

Really? It's not that hard.

I know, but I always find something else to do, and get distracted.

What Guys Said 13

All older games, even the ones designed for kids like Rayman, Croc, Crash, etc. were about three times harder than just about any game made today. :)

Yeah, the reason is that they often still had the Arcade game thinking that games should be EXTREMELY hard at some points,
      But in Arcade games it was because they wanted to make you pay more quarters, they just hadn't gotten away from that mode of thinking

Tell that to dark souls players

@Waffles731 Well, I guess Dark Souls proves there's still a market (albeit a lot smaller than the mainstream group of gamers now) that loves that stuff. Still, even Dark Souls isn't anywhere near as hard as some of those old games; if you just grind away in Dark Souls and build up, it's actually not hard at all. It's just time-consuming.

I just can't get into it. Too much of a chore, and I'm too old to be playing games for that reason. I beat DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden and it was a colossal pain in the ass, but they're on my gaming completion resume... I'm just past it now. :P

Gran Turismo was SOOOO awesome!! I passed that thing 3 times.
    I used to fine tune the cars, with the 355 Km/h skyline and the almost 400 Km/h Supra in the big straight. Damn so many good memories.

We used to fit the corvette with the crappiest tyres, and try to drift if in Deep Forest (I think?). I spent great summers playing it with my neighbours.

(And crash bandicoot 1 too)

I think I just suck, but I still can't get past the 6th to last Blacklist member on Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005).
    I can't do the cop chase.

Damn "Spyro The Dragon" and "Crash Bandicoot" and many outhers, had such a big role in my childhood. Its so sad developers nowadays only make shitty games to grab money...

Indeed, Command & Conquer was kinda tough, as well as Rayman.
    I liked Mortal Kombat but Goro was a very difficult opponent, although, Kintaro from MK 2 was even harder.
    Very good Take.

Command and Conquer <3
    It was one of my most favorite games ever. That was before EA has bought it and ended it. Tiberian Twilight is a fail.
    Always loved to play it!

And Crash Bandicoot 2 (and 3) were also tons of fun! I loved it a lot!

Mortal Kombat 4 ;_; best fighting game ever! The only difficulty I faced was executing fatalities.

I still had difficulty to perform the first Reiko's fatality and Quan Chi's first fatality also. I managed to perform others though.

Well I'd say MK 2 for Super Nintendo. I thought the controls were horrible resulting in many cheap deaths and busted controllers from slamming them down into the floor. My controller had pieces of plastic and screws missing, had to tape it back together

Jak 2 was the toughest game I ever played as a kid. It took me forever to finally beat it.

Spyro and crash are the favs. Crash wasn't hard but i had some parts on spryo i could never beat lmao

Really? Which parts from the Spyro?

Yes those flight stages I mentioned. Not so tough actually, you just had to do it in the right sequence.

Ye those flying side missions were hard, even for today standarts :D

Croc was pretty damn awesome

I can't remember ever struggling with a video game, I was always pretty good at them. Just adventure isle on the old nintendo, I must have been tiny and I remember I let my parents do the hard bits in case I ruined the game, they were so good at it they played looking at the screen in a mirror to make it harder :P

On crash bandicoot 2 (I think it was that one), I remember one time I was jumping up and down on a polar bear pressing random buttons and it gave me 99 lives, after that I used to jump on it pressing random buttons every time until I got them. Must have been some sort of cheat code thing, maybe you didn't even need to be jumping on the bear

Yes it was Crash Bandicoot 2. But you were given only 10, not 99.

Maybe it differs from version to version? Mine was PAL version.

Maybe. Maybe I just remember wrong, it was an eternity ago

Ones that were tough for me as a kid and still are is, battletoads and battletoads battlemania, tmnt nes, contra, ninja gaiden nes, 8 eyes, light crusader and i think it was called merlin or kid merlin or something for the snes or sega can't fully remember.

Now that you've conquered those games (3 of them I found tough to play) Perhaps try your hand at Battletoads, I want to be the guy gaiden, and Mushihimesama :)