YouTube Is Becoming Annoyingly Meta

It all started with some silly videos, music videos, show or movie clips...

Tutorials, self-help videos, relatable content, interesting, everyday vlogs...

Soon it became an empire of homemade videos that millions people over the world watch.

So how is Youtube starting to be meta?

Youtubers are slowly but surely making more and more videos about each other. Certain problems and 'concerns' about those other youtubers are literally making youtubers talk about themselves.

a) The Marina Joyce problem

A youtuber whose weird personality and some bruises put her on the map; it's said there's a possibility she's being held captive and made to make youtube videos for her captor's financial gain.

Youtubers made thousands of videos on this subject with various theories.

b) Poppy Mystery

Her strange, seemingly pointless videos raised a lot of eyebrows and made people wonder who actually is watching her videos and why she's that famous...

Youtubers made videos concerning Poppy - asking themselves is she's part of the Illuminati.

c) Eugenia Cooney anorexia rumors

Youtubers are suggesting her weight problems are going to kill her soon. Very soon. Yet, she claims she's naturally skinny and that's that. She has progressively become skinnier - perhaps attempting to look like her idol Jack Skellington? (Not even joking...)

Is this a silly trend or is this where Youtube future is headed towards?

What do you think?

LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

I don't watch youtube anymore lol

• 2d

I just subscribe to some fitness channels thats it. Its good entertainment and you learn something once in a while.

I browse plenty of youtube, but haven't seen those videos. Fortunate for me, I suppose.

I just use it as a second google for tutorials lol.

I used to watch youtube daily. Now it's once a week. So boring. Also, like how reddit deleted bad subreddits. The point was being able to upload what u wanted.

Who, what, when?

What is any of this? Too busy watching Game Grumps/Key of Awesome/Jenna Marbles.

Youtube sucks now. Too many ads, everything is sensored to the max, and the sponsors like vevo make it so difficult to find the video you're looking for. Yeah it blowssss!

use ad blocker plus. seriously.

@BeeNee damn! Thank you! :D

It's really a game changer and make the internet experience so much more pleasant without the 100 ads every website likes to throw at you.

ah, i don't usually watch videos like these, so i can't really give my two pennies, but i will say, a few YouTubers being coerced isn't really being meta, it's more of a human rights concern, but nothing meta about it

There is way more good than bad on You tube.

I don't watch these type of youtubers so I don't have a problem with them.

Usually I just need to take a look at their channel and based on their video titles and thumbs I know if I like them or not. And the kind of people I follow on youtube are not involved in youtube drama, gossip and other nonsense

There's a lot of sides to Youtube. I am there quite a lot and I have never in my life even heard about any of these people (it also doesn't seem like they're important). I like to watch knowledge-related stuff mostly, for example BBC documentaries or channels related to certain fields of study, such as NativLang for language or VSauce for science in general.

Fortunately, they don't represent the whole YouTube. There is A LOT of good content to watch. I love this website.

I guess I hadn't noticed, but it seems like the next natural step for YouTube. As webcams and other cameras become an extension of our lives, cheap and easy to access, and videos of people talking at these cameras continue to get views, they're going to start talking about each other. Especially the popular/trending videos or channels, because that's what the masses are talking about, so they're just giving the people what they want.

I've been on YouTube for awhile. My favorite were leafyishere, scarce, pyrocyincal, boogie2988, grade AunderA, and alphaomegasins. For my updates on other things going on with other people, world, or YouTube in general. Slowly but surely these channels started getting out of wack cause of all the drama. So I stop watching after last week. And will continue to. Plus these channels can upload wha they want to cause the demonetizations do child friendly restriction. And there new policy. So it was all boring and stuff. So then turn to anime channels and they a lot of there stuff removed it's like AWWWW FUCK ME!. So YouTube is not my cup of tea anymore.

What Girls Said 8

There are a ton of YouTubers who aren't involved in this, and the only one I watch who's mentioned any of this is Philip DeFranco, and that's kinda what he does. danisnotonfire and Amazing Phil haven't said a word about it and are still making me laugh just as hard, I haven't had a chance to watch all of vlogbros stuff lately but judging by the content I have seen they don't seem to care much either.

YouTubers like Leafy make YouTube a lot more negative. :/

I love how Ethan from H3H3 call him out on his bullshit (picking on little kids for videos) and all of the sudden to look "good". He goes and takes those videos down and only target youtubers now since Ethan go after someone who can defend themselves. I don't like leafy at all.

Ethan said*

Now, I just watch YouTube for meal preps, cooking shows, and fitness stuff.

my lack of awareness on the topic probably stems from the fact that i rarely watch stuff on youtube and when i do it's makeup tutorials and music.

• 2d

nGood post

I've noticed all the talk about Eugenia Cooney... Also there are youtubers who only talk about other youtubers. And those new react to reactiins videos, weird

Not only has it never occurred to me to "subscribe" to a YouTube "channel", but, in fact, it has never occurred to me to even NOTICE the username/poster of a video. #nope

I watch funny videos from people who are British and there's another YouTuber I watch who's from New Zealand and his nick name is ihateeverything were he talks about stuff he hates in his videos