7 True-Blue Aussie Songs

Yep, that's right, I still haven't managed to exhaust the amount of Takes I can write about Australia, with more on the way!

7 True Blue Aussie Songs

From iconic 80's hits, to our National Anthems both past and present, here are some of my personal favourite Aussie songs.

1. Slim Dusty - Waltzing Matilda

This isn't my favourite song on the list, but it still holds a soft spot in mine and many other Australian's hearts, and is known by many as our 'unnofficial national anthem'.

2. Advance Australia Fair

This is our official National Anthem, which can get a bit drab after a while, but at least it's got an easy melody to sing along to. It replaced "God Save the Queen" as the official national anthem in 1984, following a plebiscite to choose the national song in 1977.

3. Icehouse - Great Southern Land

A great 80's song, but a crappy video.

4. GANGgajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Yes, *another* 80's song, with another weird video.

5. I Am Australian

I have a lot of respect for this song, as I feel it's very inclusive of Australia's original inhabitants, the Aboriginal people, Indigenous Australians. This could easily make a very good National Anthem too.

6. Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock

While not as patriotic as some of the other songs on the list, many Aussie adults tell me that this was their jam back in the day, and I even remember listening to this as a child, dancing around the living room with my dad.

7. Men At Work - Down Under

An all time favourite, this list wouldn't be complete without this song on it.

_______________________

I hope you enjoyed some of these songs, I've left a few off, but let me know what other songs come to mind when you think about Australia, if any.

Luci92 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

What Girls Said 5

• 19d

Queen- We will Rock you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk

That's also another one

• 4d

nice

• 5d

very good one

• 21d

Down Under by Man At Work is such a cool song :D

• 22d

Australia has produced some amazing musicians. As a kiwi girl who lived with a house full of Aussies in London, there are songs that just scream Australia which you have not mentioned... Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel, Holey Grail by Hunters & Collectors, Beds are Buring by Midnight Oil, you're the Voice by John Farnham, and anything from AC/DC, Jimmy Barnes, INXS and even good ole Kylie Minogue.