Tattoos are a good conversation starter, yes or no?

I feel like they are. I love to see people's tattoos and as introverted as I am, if I see an interesting one I'll ask about it. I see tattoos as a form of art and expression. I never understood why they're so controversial.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I think they are good starters, but they are also good filters. I have tats covering my forearms and one on my leg. I had an artist do them though I did the rough versions. There is story and meaning behind them so if someone asks I have a bit to talk about and people frequently ask. It does filter people out to because some people will avoid me altogether. Usually those people are not the ones I wanna talk with anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I've had plenty of people ask me about my tattoos in the past but I remember when once I was wearing a crop top and a skirt which showed this one tattoo (I have 3) over my ribs that I had always tried to hide to a party and I had like 20-something people in that one night touch my waist to "feel" the tattoo (wth?) and ask me about its meaning but it's really personal so I told each and every one of them that it was a story too personal to share and they all ended up getting quite upset or even offended. So what I'm getting at is I don't mind talking about my tattoos once in a while but I really dislike when people use them as a reason to get all touchy-touchy and try to force me to tell them some of my most personal & intimate things but then end up getting all mad and grumpy at me if I refuse to do so.

• Oh noooo. Definitely no touching! Lol wth, that's weird! At some point you gotta draw the line.

• It was definitely awkward and made me feel like an alien tbh 😅 but now I'm thinking it was probably partly my fault, too, because I did wear clothes that revealed that specific tattoo I just didn't expect to get that many reactions really..
      But yeah, as long as the person isn't too curious and insensitive tattoos are generally a good conversation starter :)

What Guys Said 17

• I didn't get my first tat until I was 47 . I wasn't a fan of them and for the most part in still not ; but while I was getting the first one I had the artist do a second one

• Fuck no. Get your mouth off my tattoo. I could be buck naked and you wouldn't have a right to say some dumb ass question or comment about any of them, which is all anyone ever has to say anyways. Except the compliment "I really like" or "that's really beautiful," which is fine, but that's all you need to say. You're also allowed to ask after the artist. That's it.
    Any further "discussion" is for people I am intimate with only. Close friends, family (maybe), and romantic partner for sure.
    You, stranger are none of those.
    You wouldn't ask me about the hairs growing out of my back, or my acne, or my bumpy back of the arm, or my blotchy skin, or anything else like that, so why would something I put into my skin be open to discussion to you either?

• I never understood the appeal of putting something permanently on my skin, but yes, they are a fantastic conversation starter. They're easy to point out and most people, in my experience, like to talk about why they got them or what they mean to them.

• Pretty much anything can be a good conversation starter in my opinion so sure but only if you can see them. One of my friends has the top of his head tatted up too and you can only see that when he shaves his head and doesn't have any hat on otherwise you'd never know it. In that case no conversation started cause out of sight out of mind

• I hate tattoos so that's not a good way to start a conversation.

• Not generally for me. I dislike tattoos anyway so I wouldn't usually start a conversation about them.

• Anything that stands out is a good conversation starter.

• Only if it looks original. I see some bunk ass, follow the leader type shit and it's a huge turn off for me.

• From my experience no. They usually get comments on their tattoos all the time and a lot of people just get tired of always explaining them so I actually purposefully avoid bringing them up when talking to an individual with tattoos.

• Yes. i see nothing wrong with tattoos , I'm fascinated on why the person got the particular tattoo that they got.

• Yes, and I made a topic for people to share photos of theirs. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1698747-what-tattoos-do-you-have-what-was-your-first

• Generally, I find that to be true. For example, I'll ask the person, "Does that tattoo have a story behind it?"

• They could be or they could be a quick way of getting slapped if you notice a tattoo in a an anatomical hard to reach place and be called a pervert.

• Most of the time, no, they're not.

• Tattoos are always an excellent conversation starter!

• It's a start but, what if you don't have any?

• A girl on a train had a tatoo with a map on her forearm. Had a nice conversation

What Girls Said 9

• Yes, but I never do start a conversation around one, bc I'm always afraid to ask about them. I don't want to offend them or make them remember bad memories by asking. Heaven forbid I see a tattoo of a name and say "oh who's that" and they start crying and telling me the story of their spouse tragically dying on their wedding day...

• Lmao oh no! It's not funny but it is. I get what you're saying tho. I typically don't ask about names. Or if I see a tattoo that I like that happens to be a name then I ask about the artist.

• I don't usually comment on someone's tattoo unless I know them well because I feel like they're really personal and I don't want to make them unconfirtable or something

• Oh, definitely!
    Just - kind of strange going up to someone ans immediately point at their tattoo and ask why is it there and what it represents. xD

An intro might be important here. =)

• Yes, totally!

• Yes definitely and people love talking about their tattoos so it's a win win. Every tattoo has a story so it'd make for interesting conversation too.

• I like asking about them tooo!:D

• They work to start conversations for me! Lol but maybe it's just that I'm thinking about getting one so they are something I discuss a lot. I dunno.

• Good question, yea they are intresting and catches the eye easly... if i see someone with a tattoo il wonder about and ask 😊

• I have tattoos, so yes! it is :D