5 Reasons We Should Bring Back Fanny Packs!

Fanny Packs: The fashion statement that never really was but should have been!

5 reasons we should bring back fanny packs!

Let me start out by saying that this all stems from my job as a lifeguard, lifeguards wear fanny packs on a regular basis and almost any lifeguard will agree with me. I for one am on a mission to bring back the fanny pack and I am starting with the people of GAG, so with no further ado here are the reasons to bring back the fanny pack.

1. Ease Of Access

Now, now, I know that a purse is always right there and men you are obsessed with shoving everything you need in your pockets but the convenience of a fanny pack cannot be argued. Everything you need is just a zip or button away. And since there is no need to hold your purse in one hand while you frantically search for the gift card you know you have, you can use both hands to search. In lifeguarding that is your rubber gloves, a band aid, or (god forbid) a C.P.R. mask, but in everyday life you have your cell phone, wallet, lipstick, I.D. right there for safe keeping.

2. Hands Free

Girls, we all know the struggle of trying to keep a purse over our shoulder or trying to figure out what to do with a purse once we get somewhere. Guys, do you ever run out of room in your pockets and have to carry something. Sometimes carrying around a purse or your phone is just to much effort. A fanny pack sits perfectly and surprisingly comfortable over your hips. And guys and gals, no worry, even if you have no hips they still stay up. And back to the point I brought up in #1, you have both hands free to search for or do whatever you need, like carrying a drink, or a few shopping bags!

3. In A Crowd It Is Easier To Keep Your Stuff Close

Whether you are walking down a crowded city street or navigating your way around a music festival there is always the chance of pickpocketers. Having everything of value held that close to your body makes things easier to keep track of, and unlike most pant pockets, fanny packs usually ahve zippers or buttone, making it that much more secure. We have all heard that you hsould stick your money in your sock while traveling but why do that if you can have something as convenient as a fanny pack right at your waist?

4. You Can Wear One With Almost Anything

Fanny packs can be layered with and on top of almost anything you need or are wearing. There are so many different styles, colors, and patterns to choose from you are sure to find one you like. Ladies it is like purse shopping! Just think of all the fun you could have finding the perfect fanny pack to go with your outfit.

5. Celebrities And Designers Alike Agree

Fanny packs are finally starting to make there comeback. Kylie Jenner was seen wearing one at Coachella 2014 and in the picture above you can see Sarah Jessica Parker wearing on on the red carpet. Because of this slow comeback some big name designers are also starting to produce fanny packs meaning that even the most name brand affluent people can be happy. You can buy Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Chanel,Alexander Wang, Gucci, etc. Personally I will stick to thrift stores and crafting old ones but to each his own.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

• I'm going to do it!! Rock the fanny pack and start the trend back up!!

• They aren't as safe as you think. Imagine a mugger attacks you and you aren't able to pry yourself apart from your valuables that easily. Or if you have it on your back, somebody might take a purse out while you aren't looking and go for a grope while they're at it. Whereas with a handbag you can hold it discretely under your arm as simply a bag to hold your valuables, with a fanny pack you are already holding the thing as a fashion statement. That is going to draw attention to you.

Ladies, be wary of the fanny pack!

• Ugh, form must follow function. A Fanny Pack is more impractical than its fashionable, to me. Looks like a desperate fashion statement (if there is such a thing).

• How is a fanny pack impractical?

• well said chief. makes ya wonder if there's anything in them. hell, makes ya wonder if they even have a real zipper.

• It's highly practical. East access. Holds all your stuff and it won't fall off. The big thing against it is how it looks. It's not "fashionable"

• NO WAY!!!

First of all they make a chick less attractive... and it's easier fer someone to rob ya... WAY EASIER...

• Sure women can do it without looking gay, but if a man is seen wearing one he is assumed to be carrying plugs and Clay Aiken concert tickets in there.

• What about men though we would look ridiculous

• Let's go, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they should've been a thing!!

• I'd rather use a man purse, Can hold much more and its more comfortable to me.

• I am not normally a fan but there was a few nice ones in your pics. I really liked hands free picture one.

• They are freaking awesome. I love them though I don't wear them every day. But if I go on vacation, esp to a place like NY, NY or Vegas, where you have to worry a lot about pick pockets, they are a must. Plus, as a guy, I don't get to use a purse. I have the George Costanza wallet going...

• Don't take this the wrong way, but you'd have to be colossally stupid to get pickpocketed in New York or (especially) Vegas.

It would be MUCH easier to steal shit out of a fanny pack -- or even to just rip the whole damn thing off yr waist and run like the wind.

• 1- they look stupid as fuck
    2- they scream tourist and make you a HUGE target for pickpocketers
    3- they look extremely stupid

• They do not look stupid if you pick the right one for your outfit. They don't always scream tourist if you are wearing a fashionable one.

• no fanny pack is stylish and no guy has ever thought about picking 1 to match their outfit and they actually do. if you ever study abroad, especially in a major city in Europe, they tell you not to wear 1. and a fashionable 1 makes you even more of a tourist (target)

• i used to think a fanny pack was a booty hole

• Only bring it back for the ladies please. It never looks good on any guy.

• I was just thinking the other day how convenient they were. I was thinking of a specific use, but don't remember what it was.

I still have mine from when they first became popular (in the early 90s?). It wasn't fashion, I don't do fashion. It's plain black and functional. I first used it when I was delivering pizzas. That's where I kept my money to make change.

It's also handy when walking streams while fishing. I used to wear it up in the mountains to carry the most used fishing gear instead of digging into my backpack or tackle box. I also carried some very basic survival gear, like a knife and matches.

Yea us guys tend to stuff all kind of things in our pockets. :) But there are limits, and a fanny pack is for when you need more room, but don't need / want to carry a back pack.

We used to call them booty bags, not fanny packs. And we wore them in front, not the back.

• I just know that at work I put everything from my phone to money in my Danny pack and when I'm not at work ill go to put something in a pocket, realize I don't have one, and really wish I had a fanny pack.

What Girls Said 7