Women are shamed for something that is completely normal

This is something that actually really gets on my nerves. for some reason some guys(some girl too) mean that girls that have body hair, aka dont shave or wax, are disgusting and it makes no sense to me. I mean really? how can clean, naturel hair be disgusting based on the fact that its on a female? I have seen grown ass men saying its disgusting or vile that woman have hair on their legs, under their arm or hair on their vagina. I kinda wound get it if it was a 13 year boy, but guys my age and older saying this? really?
I get the whole preference thing, and some guys just prefer no hai, or maybe even finds it a turn on. But going as far as calling someone disgusting for something that naturally grows on your body that doesn't smell or really effect anyone except the person with it? I really can't rap my head around that.
Saying being hairy is less attractive then having no hair, i can't really argue on that one, but saying its disgusting(note: on girls) is so extremely childish and not least discriminating against women. How does it makes sense that armpit hair is distasteful or gross on woman, but perfectly fine and naturel on men?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• tough. shave your pits. it's simple.

• Some people find blood and guts disgusting. How can something essential to humans in order to live, is disgusting? People have different tastes on things, I see no problem in them believing it's disgusting, it's their opinion, as long as they don't shame the girl about it, I see no problem in why they can't believe it is disgusting.
    I personally dislike body hair, not just on women, but on myself too. I know it's natural, but it's still something I don't like, just like pimples are totally natural and I don't see people complaining because someone things they're disgusting.
    Like I said, if they don't shame the girl for deciding to have hair, I have no problem with them believing it's disgusting.

• It's entirely social conditioning.

When I was growing up, it was normal in my country for women to shave armpits and legs. So seeing hair legs or armpit (and not stubble) on a woman -does- bother me. Of course it's irrational, but it's how I imprinted on what 'women' were like growing up.

by contrast, genital shaving was a fad that took off when i was closer to 20. So i can enjoy hair, no hair, trim, whatever. I might have a preference, but none seem odd to me.

There's a generation growing up now where basically all women have always had no pubic hair to them, so it 'freaks them out'.

There are male equivalents - in some countries its how women feel about uncircumcised penises. And it doesn't work the same reversed: if you're used to hair and its shaved, or used to a foreskin and it's removed it may seem unusual. But if something shows up on a body that you're never used to seeing, it strikes you on a subconscious level as a mutation, which is 'gross'.

• Arm pit hair is too gnarly for me, sorry... maybe because i am younger
    i think women should shave and wax, it makes them appear more feminine to men which is useful for attracting me
    i know a girl that got laser hair removal for her pits she is awesome!

• Eh, women shave their armpits and legs and men shave their head and their face. I've seen first hand men get shamed for having long hair. I guess the difference would be there their are more women that are willing to want to be with a guy that has long hair than a guy wanting to be with a woman that doesn't shave her armpits.

But, also, men are also shamed for back hair because it's deemed disgusting. Which, I do think it is disgusting.. and depending on the generation, guys are also shamed for having chest hair. Younger generation of females are more into guys with a shaved chest, whereas older generation of women tend to prefer hairy chest. Which is the direct result of social conditioning.

At the end of it all.. Since men are naturally more hairy than women are.. hairiness is seen as more of a masculine trait than a feminine trait. So, a woman having hairy armpits is seen as disgusting because it's not seen as feminine. Just ask any older generation women why they like men with a hairy chest vs a guy that shaves his chest. A hairy man is seen as being more manly.. Having more testosterone.. So, ultimately, I think that's what it ultimately boils down too. Since men naturally grow more hair on their bodies than women, hairy bodies are seen as more masculine and hairless bodies are seen as more feminine. Even if the hair that is being shaved on the womans body naturally grows their.. by shaving it off, she's making herself more feminine.

• I thought this was going to be about slut shaming again :D

• She can do whatever the hell she wants, but I would NEVER touch a girl who didn't shave those things.

• Really? Really it's ok to keep underarm hair? Really? and you said if you're by the nature have hair why won't keep it? Wow so why some women shave their faces ask them to be bearded since they have it in natural way:)

That's disgusting women with under arm hair omg

Wait no need to clean your nose its natural also no need to use tissue or water to clean it. What about sweat its natural keep it

You can't argue with with nature if you're out of nature fix yourself first

• Well I will admit the word "disgusting' does come up for underarm hair. But I find it disgusting on men also. so there is no bias. I shave mine. cleaner and you don't smell as easy.
    I don't really care about legs so much but of course I prefer her legs shaved.
    Bare vagina is the hottest and best in every way.
    but at least it needs to be short if there has to be hair.
    I don't want to go near a forest even if it is pussy...

• well that your preference, and thats completely fine, people have different preferences. The thing i react to is your word choice.. "disgusting"... its hair.. just like the hair on people heads.. i dont get how that can be disgusting..

• You can't separate out the word like that. usually people say "looks disgusting" or some other word with it. and it is a personal issue. it is kinda like trying to describe why something turns you on.. can you really say why? it just does. Some things are just disgusting to us...
      Like pork chops. There is no food that I will ever come in contact with (like that qualifier ;) ) that is more disgusting then a pork chop... yuck...

• It's completely normal for guys to have back hair. However, I'm quite sure mamy women don't like it and think it's gross.

Also, armpit hair DOES make things smell worse, the same with public hair. So there are benefits to getting rid of it.

Now, I think a woman should have the freedom to not shave if she doesn't want to, but that doesn't mean we (men & women) have to like it.

• that not what im saying neither is it my intention to convince people to like it. Im simply just pointing out and reacting to the fact that some people will find ex. me disgusting for the simple reason that i dont shave my legs. I dont have a boyfriend, i dont wear shorts and its winter over her and i see no purpose in shaving or waxing them. I shower everyday with body wash etc, but to some people i'm still considered unclean, or disgusting. I might be hairy, but im not a dirty, gross human being for simply having completely natural hair on my legs. And THAT is what im trying to put a focus on

• Leg shaving is necessary when they are exposed and the hair is dark and coarse. Solution: Slacks.
    A bikini trim is necessary for unsightly "sideburns" and so curls don't peek around your suit at the beach.

Otherwise, wild and woolly armpits and nether regions (front and back) aren't much of a problem. I find feminine intimate hair sexy and attractive. No, I'm not in the main stream.

• Women shave their body smooth, men lose the most sensitive part of the penises soon after birth for entirely aesthetic reasons. Fair?

• The most sensitive part of the penis is the head, not the foreskin.

• @been_waiting
      But as a result of the loss of foreskin, the head is unprotected and spends all day rubbing against underwear and as a result is habituated to the sensation of something touching it. Unfortunately, this results in decreased sexual pleasure.
      However, in most cases it's not done for aesthetic reasons. Circumcision is usually performed as part of a religious tradition or because of a belief on the family/doctor's part that it promotes good hygiene.

• yeah I am aware.

I wasn't exactly aware that two wrongs make a right? Not when you're older than five? The fuck.

• What gets on my nerves is all the "waaaaa... I'm a special little flower and I don't like to be shammed" crap.

Body hair is unattractive to men. You are free to grow it out as long as you want but you can't tell men they have to be attracted to it.

By the way, the hair on my head is "normal" too, but that doesn't mean I don't have to groom it. The hair that grows on the upper lip of some women is normal too. Are you going to tell us she should feel any need to remove it?

Get over it already!!!

• Yeah and there is also men getting shamed for the way we sit down. www.nationalreview.com/.../why-manspreading-definitely-serious-issue-explained-feminist-internet-katherine-timpf

We all get shamed for stupid shit, so get over it.

• social indoctrination! it's that simple
    society has directly and indirectly imprinted in our minds that women are "supposed to be shaved". Just another social stereotype and expectation that's completely against nature.

• i think it´s generally disgusting ^^ i include myself there too.

• My girl already knows I have no prob with hair. She's a human not a doll. She still does it for herself though

What Girls Said 14

• Society has managed to make us think that it is disgusting. I think we can't change it now, even if it is natural people will think it is disgusting.

If the first woman who shaved and all the other women hadn't done it, then no one would ever say it is disgusting. But it is too late now..

• I'm very hairy and I'm a freshman in highschool I'm very self conscious

• It's stupid!!! I mean we are humans! We are meant to have hair GIRLS AND GUYS. it's like then why do I grow hair their too dude? If they wanna let it grow then go for it! If they want it off, go for it! Nobody shouldn't complain. It's their body and they have the right to do whatever they want with it!

• That's just how our society is. In other places they do it different and it's normal for them. But in the U. S it is normal for a girl to shave her armpits and legs, so we would find it weird or gross if she did otherwise because that's what we're used to

• It is about how media affects us and how everybody around us enhances that. Do you ever see a female model with armpit hair og hair on their legs? Do you see any facial hair on them? The more you see what isn't there, the more you think that is what's "right." If there were tons of models with hair on their legs I wouldn't see that as a problem.
    And men, you see them with hair everywhere all the time, so it would be a higher percentage of women who would say they doesn't have a problem would it than men would with women. Unfortunately.
    It isn't discussion, but it might be hard accept for some.

• Mm... I kind of agree with this, like I can see why it bothers you, but tbh I think guys should shave too. Mostly their armpits because some of those things are like freaking beards. But I dont think girls should be shamed for not shaving their legs. Shaving the legs is annoying and really doesn't prevent or do anything in my opinion. Shaving your armpits helps prevent sweat from entering and armpit hair is disgusting. So in other words I think both guys and girls could benefit from shaving armpits, but legs I think we can make some exceptions. All in all I agree with you though.

• I have not shaved my armpit hair in years. Who cares? Not me.

• I agree and a lot of guys will even go as far and claim it's natural and biological for them to dislike body-hair.
    When the evidence of the contrary is just so present. Shaving armpit hair and pubic hair was not common until the 80s. Even shaving legs wasn't really a thing until the 40s. And men were completely fine with it

I feel it's ok to have a preference but claiming that is the way everyone is supposed to feel, that it's the way it's meant to be is just so arrogant and entitled, I'm lacking words for it

• I'm not a prepubescent kid so yeah I have hair. If a guy doesn't like it then I don't need them.

• you haven't seen real ugly hair. by the way, all men are thief and we should look like we are not a thief so they can hide behind u$. otherwise, we should unite and then steal back. girl power!

• Girls are meant to be hairless and smooth.

• If it was "meant" for women to be smooth and hairless they would be naturel hairless

• I guess people made it out to be gross that hair is nasty on women, it just carries on. I leave a landing strip if it helps lol. Me personally I don't like hair I get itchy quick also.

• Chaffing too. :(

• I don't mind men preferring a girl being hairless so long as he doesn't freak out over prickly legs. We're human beings lol

• I don't shave. I prefer not too, because I get razor bumps. My boyfriend is okay with it, he doesn't care.

• Good Take! I don't shave my pits in the winter, and I text pictures of them to my best guy friend just for him to cringe... so I use it to my advantage... haha.

• lol! you actually gave me an idea!