My mom won't let me get a boy haircut :(?

So I've always been more into guy things. Video games, sports, guy clothes, and I am even somewhat attracted to girls (a couple girl crushes) and a huge tomboy but I do have long hair, the only thing about me making me look "girly". And I do want to be androgynous. Everyday when I get home from school I style my hair to flow in front of my face and put it in a ponytail until my parents get home. Today I asked my mom "what if I got an androgynous hairstyle" and she just got mad. She said how I was a girl and girls have long hair and how I'll grow up to be beautiful. She said I'm not a rebel but she doesn't know that. Anyway I can get a guy haircut?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't agree with the automatic conclusion that you're gay (made below). That's for you to figure out. I'm not really sure how to help your mother come around, but it might be worth pointing out that a lot of girls have androgynous haircuts these days and it's not a big deal. Even female celebrities like Natalie Portman have had short hair.

Aside from the hair, I end up wondering if you're questioning your gender identity at all. Have you read anything about transgender or gender-nonconforming people?

• No actually I'm not questioning my gender, I do identify as a female, just a boyish one.

What Guys Said 2

• You can do whatever you like. There's plenty of cute girls who have pixie cuts and rock them!

• Good. We need more girls out there, not guys

What Girls Said 3

• Just don't let her know. Tell her you're gonna get a haircut, don't specify what kind and go out and get one. At the end of the day, what's done is done. Also try to guilt her into letting you; stuff like" would you love me any less because of the length of my hair" and "would you think i'd be ugly with short hair." She'll feel bad and when you get your hair cut, just bring up how she said you'd still be beautiful and she'd still love you. Good luck! :)

• Your mom is obviously not ready to see her once baby girl turn into complete opposite. But at the end of the day, it's not about her, it's about you. If it will make you feel complete, do it.

• tbh I've kinda always been boyish, since I was ten

• Just come out as gay and be done with it. You're an adult 18+, do whatever you want it's your body