Do you honestly dislike make up or just make up badly done?

Aimed at both men and women.

You see a lot men saying "I don't like make up, I like natural!" (Although, secret guys, a lot of the "natural looks" you like are achieved with make up to smooth skin and blemishes so you don't call us spotty S. O. B. s)

Of course, both men and women have make up preferences. And this question is NOT asking you, do you like my make up. I'm aware I wear dark and heavy eye make up, I like the emo/alternative look. And that's as much my preference as yours.

My question is, do you dislike make up or badly done make up?

To showcase what I mean here's some photos:

We all try and be experimental and sometimes it goes badly wrong:

Without make up, you can see our blemishes and our occasionally bushy unforgiving eyebrows:

And of course there is the fact make up can either enhance or totally change us. In the interest of not being caught out with a lyingly mislabelled google image, I've used myself for this one:

No make up:

And me with:

So my question is (again, NOT how much make up I wear), is it how neatly a girl does her make up, if it suits her, or just the fact you flat out don't like make up?

• I like no make up, genuinely, spots and all
  • I like natural make up, so just covering spots and nothing more
  • I like make up done neatly (regardless of style)
  • I love make up full stop
  • I like make up if it suits the girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I love the looks of makeup on the lips and eyes... must be so much fun to literally do art on your faces.

The one objection I have, is that many women unnecessarily use foundation / compact facial products, most don't need to use those! :-D

Most Helpful Girl

• um u look like a freaking angel with no makeup on... WOW.

i personally don't dislike makeup. i think it can do awesome things. but 3 things i will NEVER do:
    1. apply too much
    2. apply it badly
    3. apply it everyday

i know how to do minimal makeup, and i do it well. if i wanna enhance my good features i will. if i wanna hide blemishes i will. if i wanna go out without a single thing on my face i will. really comes down to how i feel.

• Haha thanks I hate myself with no make up :p

Yes I agree - I don't wear it every day. I often go days and weeks without wearing any. If I have to, say important work stuff,
      I'll just wear eye make up and go without foundation

• No I agree - make up is not bad if used properly. The types like models who wear it by the wheelbarrow load and have awful skin give it a bad reputation.

• exactly. glad u understand =]

What Guys Said 27

• When guys say they don't like make up you have to keep in mind that men generally know sweet FA about makeup and cosmetics.

Generally we only notice the really obvious things like eye shadow, mascara, lipstick and I think that's usually the stuff guys are talking about when they say they don't like makeup. The really subtle makeup (I don't know what it's called) that girls wear to, as you say, cover up blemishes usually blends so seamlessly with their skin tone that it's hard for us to tell if it's makeup or they just have really pristine skin.

The latter is usually what guys refer to as "the natural look": makeup subtle enough that guys can't tell you're wearing make up (unless you really cake it on). Basically anything that mimics the colours and textures of real human facial features. It doesn't really add anything, it just removes the appearance of blemishes.

This as opposed to an "unnatural look" that adds to or clashes with the colours and shades of the natural human face. For instance nobody has fire engine red lips or green eyelids without makeup. They don't imitate a feature or colour native to the human body, they're a human invention, an addition, decoration, and that's what guys mean when they say "unnatural".

Personally, I'm with most guys in preferring, for lack of a better term, the "natural" look (and I using that term after explaining why it's such a loaded term), meaning really subtle makeup that blends well with a girl's skin, hides blemishes and tends to emphasize the beauty already inherent in her face.

And honestly, I feel bad about that because acne and blemishes are normal and they shouldn't be such a big deal and to prefer makeup kind of suggests that it's not socially acceptable for women to have facial imperfections and that girls have a responsibility to keep them out of our sight. That doesn't feel right morally and I really can't blame girls for being mad at social obligations to be pretty for us and spend their hard earned cash on stupid cosmetics but I guess we're evolutionary programmed as guys to be attracted to a clear face and I can't really help that.

That said, unless they have bad skin, a lot of girls look just as good without makeup as they do with it on (and you're an example of that) - or even better if the makeup is garish.

I guess the upshot is to go easy on the makeup. Don't use it if you don't need it. If you want to use it, use only what you need to look like you would if you had clear skin.

• Often when a guy sees a girl he thinks is wearing no makeup or very little makeup, she has a lot of makeup on, but done very well so he can't tell. As a result I don't think guys are good judges of whether or not we like makeup. I think for the most part, guys just don't like makeup done poorly, which is when we are more likely to notice a girl wearing makeup.

• I prefer natural makeup, but some girls with heavy makeup look great if done well, but I wouldn't wanna see her like that every day, just for special occasions.

• Every girl has an every day and night out make up. This is my night out make up.

So for you, it's most make up goes as long as done well?

• No I understand what you are trying to say - hence why I've used myself as an example (because I KNOW I have no make up on!)
      You prefer to snuggle and not worry about bad sheets, rubbing onto you, escaping for a make up wipe before bed, etc? You prefer to see your girl as she looks like?

• I don't care about the sheets, or other stuff, I care about her face, and I prefer to see her in her natural state, even during days when she doesn't look her best, I don't care, I just want to see her natural beauty.

• For someone I INTERACT with, I 
    prefer no make up, honest

Sure made up girls are nice to 
    look at in movies...

• 😍 you're sooooooooo adorable
    And yep all I see are facial features like eyes nose lips...

• I never noticed make up like that unless it's a lot

www.humoar.com/.../...ure-if-cocaine-or-makeup.jpg

• Make up like what?

• I never noticed it cause for the most part I either assumed the girls I saw either were wearing a little or none. I never see their natural look so I wasn't sure

• For me it's B.
    I don't dislike your make-up but if you would ask for suggestions I would say: decrease the amount of eye shadow significantly and chose a lip gloss colour that comes closer to the natural lips colour.
    That would make you look like a queen instead of a pricess :D

• I'm actually not wearing any eyeshadow lol. I have eyeliner and fake lashes on, but due to the angle of the photo it looks darker. The following photo shows exactly what I have on.
      Ha. Trust me. I've tried. I cannot find the right shade.

• Haha eyeshadow is the powder that you put on the eyelids. I can totally understand why you thought I had it on though :)

• Haha I'm happy you're okay with my poor knowledge :D

• I dislike "too much" makeup, especially if it's rubbing off all over me if we're kissing. That's why I prefer the more natural looking makeup. Because 1: looks more pleasing to the eye than someone who cakes their face and 2: it's not messy if we get caught up in the moment.

• So as long as there is no lipstick, basically?

• I guess I should start wearing makeup then. I thought most of guys prefer not makeup but I guess I was wrong haha :p

• @frenchemma

From what I know it's usually minimal makeup that is the preference and no makeup is dependant upon the girl. So no make up might work for you

• the survival of women as a gender hinges on the existence of make up. Without it, they're often a pitiful sight to see, and most guys would have their thirstiness quenched and their penises flaccidified. Girls try their best, but we can't all have my genetics

• I like no make up (natural beauty) or just natural make up (covering spots with concealer and/or face powder).

• goth make up or red lipstick and eyeliner (if it goes with her) get me attracted in a girl either than that I wouldn't even care tbh

• I don't like too much. I don't like Orange skin either.
    Less make up the better. But, I like it when girls go for the pale look.

• nothing wrong with some makeup as long as it's not too much... keep it natural with some extras here and there and that's it. full makeup can look good too but I'm quite picky

• For me, there are two ideals in the way a woman can look: soaking wet just out of the shower, and with natural makeup when she's dry again. lol 😆
    The third pic is absolutely gorgeous, and you look very pretty yourself. 😊

• the second vote, that one. that is all.
    I want to see you as a girl, not as a shiny doll

• A little make up is fine , and I don't think anyone will really challenge it but there are girls I knew that if they wore any more fake tan Madonna would try and adopt them.

• Wow you look so young in that pic of yours... But the makeup makes you look mature...

• Haha thanks! Most people tell me I look 27 or 28 so thanks!

• Haha seriously. I've been placed as old as 31 before :(

• Rude people I guess? LOL

• Of course girls look better with makeup on. But it should be applied in a way that doesn't look too obvious.

• You look the best in the no make up pic. That's my favorite.

• natural and you look really pretty without makeup im bedazzled lol

• I'd prefer no make up because I'd hate to be interested in someone and then I see them without make up and no longer find them attractive. Sometimes it's a big differences where they look way different

• I like no make up, spots and all. But I have to say, you do some lovely makeup and certainly change how you look! (adorable without, too) I would certainly not object to dating someone who wore makeup if that's how they wanted to look.

You didn't have a "flexible" option ;)

• I prefer creative and expressive make-up more than natural make-up... And I like when a girl is all made-up, but nothing beats fresh out of the shower squeaky clean and all natural :)

• if it doesn't look super natural and undetectable i dislike it. there are just not blue, green, purpple etc eye shadows in nature for example. i dislike clown looking things. and most women overdoit

• I just don't like me up, if I like the girl, I like her for who she is, I don't care, let me see them sexy blemishes

• I like make up if it suits the girl.

What Girls Said 12

• For me personally, I don't like wearing it, so I don't. Doesn't matter to me if someone makes the same decision as me or not.

• You look great in all your pictures! I should do a before and after picture myself. :) I wear natural makeup most of the time, so I wonder if guys would be able to tell!

• I like make-up to cover my zits and because i look blush! hahha!

• For me I dont wear makeup I don't like it and I wouldn't even know how to put it on, but I don't care if other people wear it.

• One question, if you don't know how to put it on, how do you know you don't like to wear it?

• I don't want to wear it. Im happy with the way I look ,, I don't have a problem if other people wear it I personally just don't care for it

• B for me...
    You look so much older with makeup you do...
    I'd go with a more natural look - stay looking young.

• There's no option for "I don't care; do whatever you want." What you choose to do with your body has no bearing on what I choose to do with mine.

• I don't see anything wrong with the second girls eyebrows? they look fine to me. a little blemish isn't a big deal.

your style of makeup is interesting, but personally, I find you prettier without. or maybe a little dark eye liner would be pretty.

• I chose her for the blemish, not the eyebrows. I was meaning that statement more generally than the picture

• ahh. lol

she's still pretty even with a few zits though.

• I enjoy any make up, as long as it suits the girl. Of course, there is scenic, runway, ''TV'' makeup... Those are prone to exceptions.

As for your make up, you have pretty eyes, but somehow I don't feel you're bringing out the best in them.
    A soft crease, the lashes you're wearing and white liner in your waterline would look fab. :)

• There is an effect on the photo which make my eyes look darker. I must admit... I hate white eyeliner! It's so often done really badly I won't touch it!

• That's how I felt when I started learning to fill in my eyebrows! It's all about practice.
      And the white liner, if done properly, really makes a difference! I mostly wear it paired with mascara only, and it looks so natural and pretty! Just remember that less is more when it comes to it. :)

• Oh yes - I fill in my brows. I'm actually a dirty blonde and as the no make up pic shows, it looks like I have half an eyebrow.

I will look into it specially for you. :)

• I hate having to put on make up. It's just to much work putting it on well and then taking it off. Then repeating that. I'm a lazy bum so everyone will just have to see the flaws on my face. :D

• I think makeup is a wonderful thing. It enhances the lovely features people already have, it makes people feel good about themselves. However, it shouldn't be abused like many good things, I don't think people should turn to it feeling as though it is the only thing that will make them beautiful, natural beauty definitely needs to start being showed off more in the media. Arseholes like Kim K don't help this. Makeup needs to be used responsibly, and no one should rely on it as though it is the one confidence booster they have in their life.

• I don't like make up, it's not healthy for skin

• I literally just put a bit of concealer on my chin, around my nose and under my eyes, then put on some mascara and lipstick haha. honestly there's barely a difference when I don't wear makeup, but it gives me an extra confidence boost.