Belly button piercings, sexy or slutty?

Okay if you're going to leave a comment like "you're slut shaming, what you wear doesn't make you slutty (insert more politically correct bullshit") then leave. Your opinion is not wanted.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a belly button piercing lately. Most of my friends have them and they're cute. I'm physically fit, I have a very flat toned stomach and a small waist so I'm not worried about how it will look exactly. But I was discussing it with my boyfriend and he said he thinks it would be sexy. And I said "really? You don't think it's kind of trashy?" And he was like "well it's sexy in a slutty way." I'm the farthest thing from a slut and I come from a slightly conservative, upper middle class family. I don't ever want to perceived as trashy. I'm young so I know a belly button piercing could be fun, but at the same time just because my boyfriend now likes it whoever I might meet down the line may not (I'm moving away in six months).

Also, I've heard stories of it leaving a noticeable hole? Anyone know from experience?

• Sexy
  • Can be perceived as trashy
  • I don't mind it or prefer it

Most Helpful Guy

• if you like the way it looks, and you are happy with it then go for it, do what you are happy with, doesn't matter what other people think about it as long as you are happy, lots of people look down at the goth type fashion but the people that are dressed like that are happy with what they are wearing and are not worried about what other people think, to be honest it doesn't have anything to do with anyone else, as long as it doesn't interfere with school or work, go for it

Most Helpful Girl

• Sweetie, those are so ubiquitous that I'm honestly surprised whenever I see an in-shape woman under forty who DOESN'T have one.

I mean, this question might have been au courant 20 years ago, but, nope. Total non-issue. It's like this question got sent here with Marty McFly's packet from 1985.

Total non-issue. If you want one, get one.

Yes, it will leave a noticeable hole, if you have it in for more than, say, a month or two. Over time the hole will shrink until it just looks like a random pore.

What Guys Said 9

• I think it can be trashy plus I know lots of girls who grew out of that sort of shit who now have weird looking navels as a result, it's not really bad or anything, but it's unnecessary damage.

• It's not slutty but it serves no purpose whatsoever, gets in the way of things, could get infected, and could be painful. It doesn't look good. Why would you want it?

• I think they're sexy as long as it's the stud ring. I don't like the dangly ones.

• I do think it's hot but a lot of people perceive it as trashy

I'm not sure if it will really make your bellybutton look bad i know a girl who had one before and you can't notice it now anymore (maybe if you look real close but i don't know

• Tacky is a better word than slutty.

• neither sexy, nor slutty. just tacky and just so passé!

• I'm indifferent towards them...

• It does have certain associations with immorality.

• Trashy

What Girls Said 8

• I have had mine for literally 8 years and debated on taking it out because I use to think I was plain jane and wanted something that would sparkle I suppose, but now I'm just in different about it. When I see one on other people I just notice they have a belly button ring and that's about it. However i'm nervous if it's going to look hideous after I take it out.

• well yea, if you take it out there will be a noticeable hole. but it's best to just leave it in all the time anyway. i have one, i like it a lot and my boyfriends have too. i've never had a guy say he doesn't like it. the worst complaint i had was that my dangly one sometimes would scratch my boyfriend haha. if you want one get it. if someone judges you to be trashy purely based on having a belly button ring that says more about them than it does about you.

• Eh... I have no opinion about them other than they seem dangerous. Too easy to get caught on things and serves me no personal purpose since no one sees my stomach.

• I've had one, the holes never go away. Well actually they can, but you have to go to a surgeon and they cut out the hole so the skin seals and heals. You'll be left with a tiny scar. They sell body jewelry that clips on, you could get that if you're concerned about leaving scars after you take it out when you're older.

• I think they can be really nice and sexy. I used to have them until my first pregnancy for about 15 years... so i personally like it.

• It is trashy... fullstop. And if you do decide to have children later in life your poor belly button will take a double whammy. Think carefully about it. RaggaMon put it perfectly.

• Honestly who cares how others perceive it. If you want it, just go get it done! If a guy doesn't want to be with you (down the track) because of it then they are stupid, it's like saying sorry I can't be with you cause I don't like the colour of your shirt... do it for you and not for others [:

• Belly button piercings are impractical, period. It's so hard for them to heal and they can rip on your clothing. A lot of people only consider the APPEARANCE of piercings without considering the MAINTENANCE of them. I personally am a fan of eyebrow piercings, but they have a high reject rate as their location is anatomically inconvenient. So do your research and don't just go get a piercing based off it's sexiness level.

• Belly piercings aren't that bad. Clothes hardy affect em but if you do a lot of activity or sports then it's probably best not to get it done, aside from that nothing wrong with em. And they aren't hard to heal, it's like with any piercing if you look after it during the healing process you will be sweet but if you don't then well you're not. In fact I have had more problems with my ears than my belly.