Why do girls dress provocatively?

Girls wear short shorts, and short skirts. Is this for attention?

They say, 'Its hot outside.' Yet, I wear shorts that are to my knees, and I am fine, and I'm a guy. Also, they wear such things when it is cool. So, obviously it must be for attention?

Also, maybe subconsciously they want attention? I cannot think of any other reason.

Also, I should remind you of those tight leggings that do not cover the butt...girls wear those all the time. It appears that girls want attention on a subconscious level.

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean, it all depends on the situation.. I don't know what goes on in every girls head, but here's my theory:

When it's hot outside, I'll wear short shorts - cause that's basically how girls' shorts are cut (plus, you get tan!). Knee-long shorts that keep me cool aren't commonly sold for girls. And I guess they don't make me feel as good about myself, cause it doesn't accentuate my body shape (=makes me look bigger -> makes me self-conscious).

I guess it's for attention, but also for ones own well-being. For some people, I guess the two of them are related (you feel better because you get attention). But hey, girls look good in short shorts/skirts, right? And we know it. Therefore, we feel better about ourselves while wearing them.

But a girl wearing shorts or whatever, is NOT a cry for attention..! But it may be a method of getting a guy's attention.. Does that make sense?

Also, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there. One might feel that only the "hottest" girls will ever get boyfriends or whatever. So you have to look like a hottie to get noticed. Kinda like when the male peacock shows off his feathers. Or when other male animals sing or do a mating dance to attract females. In the 21st century, GIRLS have to be on the offense. Or help the guys be on the offense, like by wearing revealing clothing, which makes us more approachable I guess..?

I just re-read my post. And yea, I guess it's for attention. Though I personally don't think: "I'm hungry for attention, so I guess I'll wear my short skirt today". But maybe I do after all, subconsciously, like you suggested..? huh. *self-realization moment*

Attention and ones own well-being. That'll be my answer.

(wow, I serioulsy over-analyzed this question.. sorry 'bout that)

• A really insightful comments this is. I suppose it is for attention on a subconscious level. I don't think that many girls can admit it, but you did, so thanks.

Guys are much more conscious about their actions. When we, say, work out to look good, we admit that it is to attract girls.

What Girls Said 30

• Look at it like this.

Is a guy more likely to pay attention to a girl wearing short shorts or one wearing sweats and a long sleeve turtle neck? ha ha ...

Unless you're different then every guy I know, you probably pickd the short shorts. :P

Soooo, a lot of times girls know this and then dress accordingly hoping to grab a boy's attention. Its kind of sad, really. But that's just how it works. You guys can't really help it because its just how you're made but girls aren't really helping anyone out by egging it on.

Of course, sometimes girls just wear short shorts because its hot or its more comfortable :)

• I would say that sometimes the complete over exposure of body parts is a cry for attention from what I've seen. I had a friend who would wear tops whereas her boobs were LITERALLY falling out of her tops.She knew this was happening but she would only laugh and say,"Oops"...but she allowed it to continue.And then I remembered we had a conversation about her self esteem and how low it was.She said she was working on it,but I realized that was the reasoning behind her behavior. She didn't feel as though she was pretty,so she felt as though she needed to do something to get attention from men. The men she got attention from didn't really respect her...but that's another story. Some women do it for attention,others want to show their body because they are proud of it..for what else...attention. And some just dress for themselves...not for attention...just because they want to.

• It's the in thing, Yo!

Shorts are fine on a girl, as long as her ass line doesn't appear when she's walking a normal pace.

Short skirts are cute, unless you can see up them when they're walking up a flight of stairs.

Some girls just feel more confident in clothes like this..it sounds ridiculous but it's true.

Me, for example...I despise wearing pants, only because I am very unhappy with my buttoxxxxx! I wear shorts and skirts and dresses constantly only because pants accentuate my flat ass. I hate it. Now that it's colder, I have to deal with it.

Some girls also, are petite. Tall and very thin. It's pretty difficult to find a pair of shorts that fit around the waist to also be long. It isn't their fault...

& Let's face it, it's cute, in, and style wise; it works.

Sometimes I wear shorts in the winter! It sounds funny, but HEY! It's not snowing here.

If I'm feeling cold sometimes I'll do the ironic thing and wear a Furry jacket, Uggs, and a pair of shorts! Ha!

The leggings thing...Hm... Damn I can't help but just flat out agree with you on that. It bugs the sh*t out of me when girls wear leggings and a regular shirt. THEY WERE MADE AS AN ACCESSORY! Not a damn piece of full cothing! I would rant on about this, but here's a video helping me with my claim! hahaha. I can't use a link, dammit. Youtube > "how NOT to wear leggings, please!" - AndreasChoice

• The girls that dress in super low cut shirts and booty shorts, are looking for attention.

The girls that wear tank tops and short shorts in the summer, wear them just because its hot.

It really depends on how she wears it, and how she acts.

I mean I like to dress sexy sometimes because I like to look in the mirror and say wow I think I look really good, but I am the furthest thing from a whore.

• thanks for explaning.

• Yes its for the attention, but surprisingly less from guys then girls. Guys reap the benefits of a woman's fashion/attention/style competition. There is a lot of internal competition with women and having the recognized hottest legs at the party can put you over the top. However that said there is a "slut version" of woman's style that is only for the benefit of a mans attention. But even a large portion of that is still internal as being the one to turn a mans head gets (even if its begrudged) respect from other women.

• THIS, kind of pisses me off. I am 5'11 and have long legs and a long waist, because of this, things are always going to be shorter on me. I get comments on my legs all the time, vulgar ones too (EX: I want to f*** you and have you wrap those long legs around). When I mention my discomfort to my friends or say how my shorter friends don't get hassled as much, they tell me to wear jeans or capris... Now, I am in Texas. Houston freaking Texas. Last week it was 104F outside. And me wearing jeans in that whether? You are sh*tting me. Just because I have long legs, I have to wear pants and suffer because boys are insensitive, perverted, jerks? Not fair at all. And no, my short shorts, my short skirts, my short dresses, it is NOT for attention.

As for other girls, what would you say about the girls that wore longer shorts? You would probably think that they looked weird, maybe even think some mean things. So, girls also are practically forced for wear short clothing to fit in, and because it is the style now.

• Well who wants to dress "ugly"? We think that dressing in shorts or mini skirts is hot, and so we do it... because we don't want to look bad, If that makes sense ^-^

So, in a very round about way, it IS for attention AND for acceptance... we want others to accept us... in our minds, girls will accept/respect us for dressing fashionably, and guys will accept/respect us for being attractive... so yea, I hope that made sense XD

• Some girls dress like hookers because they want attention.

BUT some girls /me included/ - the ones with class, grace and style- reveal only the just right amount. Either legs (shorts or skirts), or cleavage, or a bit of belly, but never two or all of these at once. We like to 'show off' something because if we don't do it now, when will we?

We won't be young and beautiful forever...so we might as well make the best of it while we still can! :)

• You think that's subconscincously? No way! Girls dress like that to get looked at from guys and complimented from girls. In basic, their clothes are their confidence. For me, I normally just wear tshirt and jeans or soffe shorts during the warmer days, but when I want to see/ talk to a guy I like, I will dress nicly but not sluty and then walk around and try to walk past him. Although, with your update, I'd say that it starts out with what I said, but then yes, they mostly don't releize it, it depends if its comfortable or if its sluty.

• girls wear that sorta stuff because of confidence at the end of the day, and yes the confidence is from attention , but not just attention from men, personally I value compliments more from women who like my style than one from a man, although I won't deny that attention from men is always in the back of a girls mind.

also in a way, if I don't dress up, or wear something that's 'comfortable' or less fashionable I feel as if I get attention and judged more in a negative way which also grates on self confidence.

we live in an image focused society and what girls wear or don't wear define her, and when your young, you don't want to be defined as conservative or mature for the most part.

• yes, a lot of the time its to impress guys except sometimes its just a confidence boost for the girl, if she feels comfortable in her own skin and feels good in what she's wearing then why not? also most clothing stores that young people buy their clothes in don't sell longer shorts for example. where I live it gets realllyy hot in the summer and I pretty much live in short shorts and short dresses because it truly is too hot for anything else. I also live near the coast and wearing things like these just seem more practical.

• Uh...mmmm... Dude, do you know what you're putting on when you dress in the morning? Well, so does everyone else. If a girl has a nice body and feels comfortable showing it then there's nothing wrong with that! Yeah its for attention and to get noticed. But the ONLY ones who view it negatively are guys who will never have a chance with those girls, and girls who can't pull the look off all that well.

• Where was I saying this is wrong? I was just asking a question. Why are you getting angry and defensive? Inferiority complex?

Anyway, thanks for saying "attention and to get noticed." This was what I thought all along...

• 3 reasons

1) To get attention

2) It makes them feel good

3) The clothing is in style

• some girls do wear shorts and skirts that are way too small and that's just overboard for me some go too far and look too desperate but on the other hand not everyone girl has the same body so some things might be a little tighter or lose but it kind of depends lol I'm not that kind of girl I don't need to wear something that is like 'omg really' when there is something proper to wear for every occasion/season/event or everyday outfits lol

• If the girl is hot, it's fine. If a girl is fat though, it's disgusting. I dress sexy, and I love it when attractive women are aware of their sexual power and put their cleavage/legs for others to see. I also love a toned man who wears tight shirts (Like Joey Tribiani in Friends)! Yummy!

• Well, becuase we do like attention. We like to cathc the boys eyes! Mostly because it is our bodies, we are individuals and if we want to dress slutty or prudish it's our biz. But yeah because of the attention.

• Attention.

But it isn't as though guys will pay attention to a girl who dresses conservative,so it works out for them.

• A guy will pay attention to a girl that dresses conservatively if she looks like women such as Lauren Conrad, and Diane Kruger.

• No,guys don't.

And you must not get out much if you expect random chicks to look like celebs.

• you can dress conservatively and still look sexy, that's not the problem. it just that when you wear less, your more likely to get attention. men, like women, like a lot of skin, so the less you wear the more skin that's shown, the better, unless of course you didn't shave that day :D

• I wear short shorts. I certainly don't mind the attention that goes with it. I mean hey, I have nice legs. But you wanna know a horrible, slutty secret?... I mostly wear short shorts because they're COMFORTABLE. Not for attention.

• Well I'm in florida, so when we say its hot, we mean it. haha. but they can be cute when they are worn properly, and theyre a good confidence boost when you have a pair that you can really rock.

• Because they love to show off their body parts!

• I love attention from everyone. We wear designer clothes and it builds up our popularity!

• If you got it, flaunt it woo hoo!

• To look good

• If its really hot out why not wear short shorts/skirts right? But when its obvious that short shorts/skirts shouldn't be worn then its for attention, your right- I won't lie. We 'just want to at least catch y'alls eye,you guys, the fastest way possible and showing off our body seems to be the fastest way, so then it'll be easier to flirt with you...(I'm guessing) But if we already have a boyfriend then we wear the short clothes cause we think you guys will like it.

• Well, there's a BIG difference between "provocative" and just plain slutty.

Provocative just involves little touches that make people stop to look, whereas something like the leggings you're describing are just nasty. I can hardly visualize it.

The very short shorts are deplorable -- those girls are slutty and just want attention. (That's right, I said it. One of the girls reading this WHILE wearing one of those shorts may contact GAG to have my entry removed. Go ahead. My answer's longer than those shorts.)

Anyway, short skirts are pretty standard, like camie tops or fitted jeans. Girls wouldn't wear them if guys didn't look at them the way they do... (lol).

Now answer one question for me: Why do guys wear those shorts/pants that hang down to their calves to expose the tops of their undies? It's just not a pretty sight. At all...

• they want to feel like your looking every where, tht like when or if you do thinbk about them, ull be more acurate when your "bangin them"...

• they don't want to feel like a guy and they want to be noticed...

• So a girl has to dress like a slut to feel like a girl? Think about what you're saying

• Because they want attention from guys or because they think they're hot sh*t and are confident in their looks and appearance to dress like that.

• look at most clothing stores catered to girls. they don't exactly sell long shorts to our knees for the most part. most of what's considered stylish and attractive for young women is considered short skirts and shorts. yes every girl wants to feel attractive and pretty, but its not the sole purpose for making men horny

• attention, and also lately in our generation women dress this way to p*ss other women off, keep the competition going...

like if you go to school, lets say in a class, notice how when one girl is always dressed up hot and sexy, or stylish, other women will be staring and will be annoyed that men are looking at her. and then let the competition begin...haha

What Guys Said 9

• Think about it this way, do you think a girl wants to wear long shorts if its hot outside?

I wear shorts in winter, so it's not different if a girl wears her shorts or skirts in different climates.

But yes I think you might be right on the fact that they may subconsciously want attention.

Hope this helps.

• Some do dress provocatively for attention. But others do because they don't make shorts for women that aren't short short. Another reason might be because they think the clothes are in style.

• They've a warped image of what guys find attractive. They think the nakeder the better is the way to go. Sure. A lot of guys give them attention for wearing such things. But that's because they think they're easy sluts up for a quick shag, not because they genuinely find them very attractive.

Its certainly NOT because it is hot. Just go look for pictures of Newcastle on a Saturday night. 'twill send shivers down your spine.

• They aren't generally aware it's provocative. They are just following style!

• Attention, just to raise their ego's blowing off man that they don't like or giving numbers to the guy's they like.

• I'm george michael

• A couple of reasons... their sexual hormones are kicking in. And just as well, as short skirts are good for their vagina as it lets it breathe, like it should. Doctors often say that it would be recommendable for them to walk around without panties, but society would consider that inappropriate. Yet again, society doesn't have awareness of medical sensibilities.

• yeah I agree sometimes when girls wear shorts or pants with panties, it doesn't allow the vagina to breathe which causes problems. which is why man a times, theyll wear stuff that breathes. which just so happens to attract men

• For attention obviously. And they look desperate. And to me looking desperate isn't a turn on.

• ive seen girls wear short shorts/skirts in the winter (even if its with or without leggings), which must mean they want attention, again, this is only a generalization though, not all girls do it for attention (girls with bf's who don't like guys looking at them, will just consider the guy creepy, if he does)