Men, would you want to wear skirts or dresses?

Okay, before everyone starts getting all fussy, I know these are typically feminine articles of clothing and I understand the societal struggle to want men to be "men." yadda yadda, BUT dresses and skirts can be SO comfortable and practical.

Late? Slip on a dress with some seamless shorts underneath, some shoes and yer done. ha ha I love them.

I'm just curious, if it were more socially acceptable would you wear one? :D

Obviously, they would be tailored for men in the same way that pants became tailored for women :)

• U CRAZY
  • HECK YES
  • NoOoOoOo
  • I identify as female and wish to see the results

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, a skirt would be kind of embarassing to wear (read argumentation pls).

I mean, it would look vulgar and all those sorts of things because the men tends to be the one to initiate sex I think, so I think it would cause some very strange reactions, and still be morally not really accepted if it would become accepted someday.

Apart from that, I would feel pretty weird knowing that it might raise some sexual innuendo (hence maybe seen as perversity), and I must keep myself restricted in all ways.

That would put pressure on me, because, you see, a girl can just get wet, but a man...

We got our pants protecting us from that to a certain degree because pants don't bend nearly as much as skirts : ).

Hmm I don't know what more to say, that's kind of it, if we'd get sexual feelings we'd probably be regarded as pervs or so, that's the real problem behind it.

Or they should find out another version of a skirt or something lol.

So things are as they are I think.

It'd be quite a step for a man, wearing a skirt, as skirts are now, I think it'd be uncomfortable for most men for named reasons.

If they made a new skirt and THAT got accepted, well then perhaps.

I only wouldn't know how they'd do that but perhaps they'll inevnt something like that in the future.

Soldiers used to wear skirts in the roman army I believe but they were from iron or steel so that fixes things too.

What Guys Said 30

• I come from a deep Scott\Irish background so the kilt is a part of my heritage.

Actually, did you know that originally the kilt wasn't a "skirt for guys" but a full body wrap that the men wore close to their body to defend against the harsh cold winters? At times, the kilt was even pulled up between the legs like pants so the guy could run faster.

• No I wouldn't, waay too feminine and I can't say I could wear it without looking super weird lol. I am really just not that interested

If you find a guy that is into wearing skirts and dresses though... it'd likely be he also likes to wear bra's and womens underwear with it

• bahaha point taken xD

• 14d

That is an unfortunately common view. Have you ever thought though exactly what is it about the actual garment that is in your view feminine? Perhaps its just that this is what your learnt as you developed from childhood and that you just accept rather than question your learnt ideas?

• Pacific island (Samoan/ Fijian etc) men wear something similar to a skirt - practal for their tropical heat/culture - and they look cool in them, but unless that took off in the West, forget about it! David Beckham tried something like a "wrap", but even the crown Prince of Metrosexuals looked camp in it

Incidentally, Pacific Island dudes maintain their sense of masculinity wearing these - you don't wanna mess with these dudes :-S

• Wow.

No, just no...

Never would I wear something as feminine as that. Maybe I'm just a victim of my environment, who knows, maybe in 60 years men will walk around wearing high heels too!

The funny thing is, men in other cultures wear clothing that could be called a dress. Look at some of the middle eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia. And there's always the Kilt in Scotland!

But I don't think you'll ever see a straight guy wearing that stuff in western society (aside from the kilt of course).

• We're all products of our environments, since this is a light hearted discussion, I think its something to accept :)

thanks for your input :D

• in the middle east though a lot of the clothing that looks like a kilt is generally worn with something underneath it seems with most of them

• No thanks lol.

• I want to wear a skirt as part of my normal wardrobe but MOH doesn't approve. I suit a skirt and have nice legs. I find a skirt comfortable and when out and about find that people just don't care what I wear. I think that men should have the same fashion choices as women and be able to wear similar things. A skirt, in itself ( unless flowery or frilly and that applies to most garments ) is mainly a unisex garment and I have plain A-line, straight and denim skirts that I don't think look out of the ordinary. I am comfortable with skirt wearing and try to convince MOH that there's nothing wrong with it. I have been in shops wearing a skirt and bought skirts and get positive comments all the time. Yes, I get the occasional double-take but they are few. So guys, I know what a big step it is to go out the front door in a skirt but just do it. Your friends will soon get used to it.

• 14d

I think you make some good points here. Skirts are very comfortable to wear. I'm wearing a mini whilst writing this and it feels great. As you say most people just do not really care. I think that if more men began to wear skirts in public that three main things would happen. 1 the public at large would become more accepting as they became used to the idea. This would result in less negative comments from the biggotted sections of the community. 2 the fashion industry would respond with more skirst styled specifically for men. 3 with increased acceptance and choice. more men would discover the joys of skirt wearing.

I echo your closing comments, just do it (guys) people will soon get used to it. You will enjoy it and be doing other, perhaps more reserved men, a monumental favour.

• I have actually been looking into this topic recently. I've read some articles about the practicality of men wearing skirts. It seems as though it makes sense given out anatomy to wear something that doesn't have an inseams.

I also know that it was quite common in the old days for men to wear skirts. I hear that they are very cool on a hot summer day and they allow your legs to move freely.

I would definitely like to try one out. I don't think it would make me appear less manly as I would continue to wear my normal shirts and shoes. I'm also pretty muscular and think I would look good.

I'm not sure if I should try a kilt or something like a cargo skirt. What do you think?

• yes, I sometimes go to the movies or the store wearing a short denim skirt. No one says anything about it, LOVE IT.

• F*** no.

• I simply love to dress up. Women have way sexier clothes then men do. Give me a blouse, skirt, heels and hose and I'm just giddy!

• Kilts are ftw yo! The Scot in me is proud to wear a kilt -_q

• I should note though: Kilts != skirts/dresses and I really don't care for those. But kilts are ftw.

• Not exactly, Bob. And, guess what, pants used to be considered feminine. Also pink was the color used for boys back in the day too. It's amusing how society gets.

• Yes I have worn kilts since I was a boy at school here in Scotland. I now wear a kilt a lot even on a daily basis depending on what Im doing. Its a far more comfortable garment and I like the feel of the kilt plus the fact that wearing a kilt seems to give me a self confident feeling that I dont get wearing suits etc.
      I think I may have a problem wearing a skirt out although I would certainly give it a try. Depends on what else I could think up to wear with it to remain masculine.

• I would love to be able to wear skirts and dresses, oh, and by the way I am a very straight male. I just love to feel pretty some times. my line of work is a very mans man world and to clean up and wear something pretty makes me feel complete. I wear panties 24/7 and have now for 2 years and love the feel of my softer side with me always. when the world seems to be going nuts allowing my feminine side to come out keeps me calm and able to handle what ever happens. so yes, I wish I could wear skirts and dresses.

• There are some health benefits to a man wearing a skirt. The main one is that it is good for a man's sperm count. It allows the testicles to stay at a lower temperature then the rest of the body. Plus they are comfortable. I wear one all the time at home. My wife supports it. Men originally wore skirts and skirt like garments, and in most of the world men still wear them. I believe that if women can wear whatever they want to so can men. Women wear pants and other articles of clothing that are considered for men and nobody says anything about it. So men should be allowed to wear what they want without being judged.

• Absolutely not.

• I would just be worried when I get boners in a skirt lol!
    I wouldn't wear one... Don't got the legs for it! 💃

• Men used to wear skirts and dresses for centuries. So what is the big deal about it. It is about time that we as men get more freedom in the way we dress. A man in a skirt is still a man. Men look great in knee length skirts, especially pleated or kilt or kilt like skirts.

• Yes I would. In fact I already have a few times.

• If it was exceptable, I would wear the skirt and that 38-B bra that they told me was my size.

• 14d

Its a chicken and egg type thing i. e. unless more men adopt wearing skirts in public, then it simply will not be widely accepted. If male skirt wearing is not widely accepted then will not adopt skirt wearing in public.

Seems to me we need more trend setters who are willing to poke their heads above the parapet to get this whole thing moving.

• Hmmm... but it takes the fun out of it if it is 'socially acceptable'!

• it's time society let there be true equality if women can wear pants and business suits, men should be able to wear skirts, dresses and heels.

• 14d

I fully support mens right to wear skirts, dresses etc and do myself on a very regular basis. What irritates me though is when people come the argument “ if women can wear... then men should be able to wear... Sorry but this seems to take away from the argument. If Joe Bloggs (or even Joan Bloggs) jumped in the river would you follow?

Lets be who we are and wear what we want within the realms of common decency and courtesy.

• Personally, I'd wear a skirt (made for a man), because a guy can mix and match way more with a skirt than with a dress for a man. Basically, he'll have way more options!

• I love wearing skirts they are so much more comfortable than pants or jeans

• I wear skirts 24/7

• Yes if i could during the summer i would just wear a sundress all the time if i could

• votes and answers are different haha... anyway if it is comfortable then you can. people once upon time think that woman can't come out and do things as men but today it is happening so this is also happens one day.

• If designers turned their attention to man skirts (and giving them a better name) then I'm sure we could get some decent looking stuff out there. Let's bring back the tunic and modernize it. I might wear them on hot days wear it's like 40+ Celsius.

• Honestly I don't see what the big deal would be. If they're designed for men. Like the op said, they're easier and more comfortable. But to each their own.

• link

HOT

• More breathing room...if it was more socially acceptable, then yes, I would

• F*** ya I would I only do it at home now, I love to wear them with pantyhose or thigh highs and heels so comfortable

• 14d

Skirts are really comfortable and tights/pantyhose stockings and holdups can also feel good (provided they are put on right / not twisted) but heel can be purgatory to wear... but what they do for the look of the legs and bum/butt, superb!!!

What Girls Said 6

• Guys in skirts are hot. Not only they look good but the sole act of using it sends strong signals of self confidence and willing to explore things...hot

• I wouldn't want to see a guy in a skirt, ewww

• 14d

That's because in your socialisation you developed negative connotations about this being femanine behaviour and therefore only for women. If however you had become used to masculine men wearing skirts your opinions would be very different.

You certainly wouldn't be expressing ewww.

• I don't even like wearing skirts or dresses.

• 14d

My sister used to be like you, not liking skirts / dresses. She says that it wasn't until she had her 4 children and got older that she began to appreciate them. May or may not be the same for you.

• if my boyfriend ever wore a skirt or dress that relationship would end immediately.

• oh, dear. my boyfriend plays the bagpipes, so he wear a kilt often. I don't mind it :) I'm normally looking at his face anyways.

• 14d

If your relationship with your boyfriend is built on such a weak foundation then perhaps that would be for the best.

• 14d

Lucky boy! Have a lot of fun.

• I think guys in scotland do.

• 14d

Yes. But don't say that to a Scotsman if you value your life!!!

• I think guys look Hot wearing kilts and skirts,OMG a guy wearing just An apron, such a turn on ;)

• hahaha :D I really enjoy seeing a funny apron on a man.

My boss, whose this buff really masculine guy, has a pink apron lmao. It has his name on it, I think it was a gift but its hilarious and awesome :D

• Lol a pink One not So hot...but a Hot guy with just a black apron OMG

• :)