Is she too skinny? Would it be unhealthy to get that thin?

link link link link

I think she looks perfect. And she has an amazing YouTube channel with great workouts. I do them along with other stuff and hope to look similiar to her at some point. I would have to lose 15 - 20 lb tho (I'm at 130 right now) would that be unhealthy with a heaight of 5'6.

I know my BMI would say I'd be underweight then but so many girls are and they are still healthy

My boyfriend keeps saying that's way to skinny and that I'm gonna risk my healthy and ruin my body if I try to get there and now I'm kinda worried.

He's med school so he should know what he is talking about, but she is a fitness instructor she can't be unhealthy skinny, right?

Most Helpful Guy

• The girls you linked to above are certainly on the thin side. They are also quite muscular/toned. Personally, I find it a bit much. If they lost a little bit of that extra muscle and had 5-10 pounds more on them, I'd find them more attractive. That's not to say they are unattractive, just that I think they could be better with a tad more weight. A girl that has a body as hard as a man's just strikes my brain as bit too masculine for my tastes.

If you were to get to 110 lbs that would be quite low for a girl of 5'6". You'd probably want to stay around 115-125, depending upon your body frame. If you are narrower to begin with, you won't look too skinny if you loose the extra weight. Still, I think your boyfriend has a point. The girls in those pictures above are obviously hardcore about their working out and if a girl gets too skinny it can throw off her hormones, not to mention he might be fearful that you could get an eating disorder.

Lose 5 lbs at a time and have your boyfriend check your blood pressure and heart rate. Keep things in a healthy range and don't worry too much about a specific poundage. You probably don't have as much weight to lose as you might think.

• you're right maybe I wouldn't want to get that toned, but I think that kind of skinny is very feminine.

• Really skinny makes you lose overall body fat, which will also shrink your boobs. I can't think of anything more feminine than breasts, even if they are small. You don't want to get to the point where they just look like little pimples. Your boyfriend doesn't want to hug a super bony girl. :)

What Guys Said 7

• To me the women in the links look rather thin but it's possible they could simply have small frames, not uncommon in women. Other factors may include heritage, Asian women for example tend to be smaller than western women. Because of the heritage an Asian women of lets say 30 for example, can look like she's 19.

Getting thin in general is not necessarily an unhealthy thing, however there is such a thing as too thin. When burning fat and or gaining muscle what you should always keep in mind is that your body needs some fat to metabolize. In extreme cases (emphases on extreme) when the body does not have fat to metabolize it will begin to metabolize the muscles instead because it needs something to burn. Forcing yourself to become as thin as the woman in the links may not be the best choice, Your frame may be naturally larger than hers. Also keep in mind that information in any medical textbook will not always be able to explain everything, everyone is different.

For example, in high school I was 116 LBS (No I was not anorexic, I ate like a pig and no I did not throw any of it back up) but I was 5'7". In heath class we got a piece of paper show what our weight should be at certain heights. My height and weight were not even close to the same place on that piece of paper. My weight was higher on the paper, my height was further down the page. The two didn't correspond at all. Does that mean there was something wrong with me? No, not a bloody thing and yes I had doctor visits during that period. I was simply a naturally thin person. I'm 23 now and 133 lbs (AKA 30 lbs soaking wet) and I'm a little over 5'8". My height and weight still don't correspond but again there is nothing wrong with me.

Best thing I could say is be careful and try not to over do it, maybe take a break from exercising once in a while.

I hope my opinion and understanding of the situation has helped a little. :)

• I don't like the BMI. Mine says I'm obese. They are not taking into consideration muscle, which we all know is heavier then fat. I go to the gym 6 days a week. It's my pants size that I use to measure myself by not so much the scale or BMI.

Yes the girl is on the thin side. Great abs. I wish mine were like hers. She is as you wrote a fitness instructor so she spends a lot of time in the gym, maybe too much time. Your reasoning is that she should know healthy vs unhealthy. I'm sure she does but I'll bet most anorexics know damn well their too thin. Why do guys take steroids? You may think that she knows about supplements. I'm sure she does. I don't like them. Take EAS for example. EAS stands for Engineered Applied Science. They know taking this particular supplement will cause your body to do a specific positive. It's my opinion that they don't research the negatives.

Her body fat is probably an unhealthy single digits. Look at her arms. Can you imagine what her iliac crest looks like?

Why can't you be happy with a dress size & pants size you want & still look good naked?

• I don't get it when people say being that skinny is unhealthy they can do all of the same things as regular people, they're just skinnier. It's healthier for you as you get older because fat doesn't mix well with old age.

There is nothing unhealthy about that kind of skinny it just looks kinda awkward.

• well my boyfriend said she doesn't look like someone who is naturally skinny, she looks like someone who doesn't eat enough. There actually is something like sport bulimia, instead of throwing up you sweat out the calories or something, and that's his diagnosis.He also said that he thinks she's wearing a size 0 and no grown woman can naturally wear a size 0. I just think that since dad is a specialist for eating disorder he is a bit oversensetive there.

• hmmm is she famous for doing bulimia sports, there are so many weird name for disease people made up why are there so many lol?

• I don't think it's too skinny, but I don't know why you want to work hard enough to get that skinny when your boyfriend doesn't want you to.

• I think he would like me to be skinnier too, even though he says he doesn't but he is concerned I get some kind of eating disorder. And as he is in med school he may just always see the worst possible outcome

• To be honest, that girl is not super attractive. A girl could be slightly fatter than her, and I don't think it would make me less attracted to her.

• he cares more about your heath than your looks? How dare he?

• She's certainly skinny, but in the right way as she's getting enough neutrition to develope and keep her body toned. My girlfriend is a runner, is super skinny, has hard abs etc, looks incredible...and still eats like a horse! Eat the same, just train harder and you'll have an even hotter body in no time!

• It doesn't look like she has crossed the line of unhealthy weight, but it's not far from there and I'm not attracted to girls who look like that. They lack curves.

• BMI is only a "healthy suggestion" no everyone matches it. The woman you linked looks fine and is probably 0% body fat, You can aim for it but you might never actually achieve it. As someone also trying to lose weight I suggest you aim for the first ten pounds and see how you feel, you might think you can manage the next five, but you could hit a wall after that and not get the 20 you're after in which case you might be over doing it at that point.

What Girls Said 7

• i find her a bit too skinny. and muscular. I don't want to look like her.

don't go by bmi standards to see how much weight you need to lose. they only work out to see whether or not you are underweight, but anything other than that is pointless. and if you weigh 130 lbs at a height of 5"6, why lose weight at all? you can try and get a little more toned and/or defined, but imo you'll just end up looking like miley cyrus. and no offence, but who wants that?

keep your ass and boobs. looking like a dude is for dudes. and those who want to be dudes. no offence or anything.

• she is thin,but not unhealthy-i think she's just petite so she looks a bit too thin-but she has great abs,she doesn't have bones sticking out-i'd describe her as fit and petite.

• Most guys I know would love that body. I would die for that body. I work my ass off in the gym and am still fat it sucks.

• She is very muscular but I don't think she "too" thin, I don't think there is such thing as too thin but she is a but to muscular for my taste but I don't think she is unhealthy.

• Not a fan of that body I want a body like her link :) now that's a HOT & SEXY

• She looks good, but what's healthy for her might not be or look healthy for you. I don't really think you should based your own health someone else because everyone's is different. She has a big head for her small body so that's making her seem like she's too thin.

• Some people are naturally thin and have a small, narrow build like this women you showed. If you weigh 130, for someone who is 5'6 that's great!

The only thing I would suggest is, if you still want to work out -do it but NOT to loose weight. Work out so you can have a better stamina, more toned muscles and just feel better. If you don't eat healthy (and I mean at all, like you eat fast food every half an hour) then you can change your diet, but I would advise you to do so at a very small amount. Like maybe drink only water and flavored water? Add some more fruits and veggies to your menu? Substitute white flour with whole grain or whole wheat?

All of these things will help you be more healthy and toned. Don't try to be super skinny, You sound like you're thin and be happy with it!

I understand wanting to be fit though. I work out daily, but that's because I'm joining the military. I work out not to loose weight, but to build some muscle, build up endurance and be toned.

You'll look better (in my opinion) as a thin, healthy, toned girl as apposed to a very thin girl who just doesn't eat that much.

Hope I helped!

• well my boyfriend said she doesn't look like someone who is naturally skinny, she looks like someone who doesn't eat enough. There actually is something like sport bulimia, instead of throwing up you sweat out the calories or something, and that's his diagnosis. I just think that since dad is a specialist for eating disorder he is a bit oversensetive there

I work out daily too, I never really dieted tho I just tried to eat healhty,but I cheated thx

• @ arashmenalagha: What do you mean but "nice copy paste QA"?

• ok ya I usually do running or swimming for like 30 min in the morning and then like 45 min of yoga, pilates or weightlifitng. 6 days a week, I guess I should make my cardio workouts longer to lose weight.

I can lose some weight, I wouldn't starve myself, I wouldn't have that discipline

What he means is that I told him most of the suff I told you too.