Why do I look stronger than I am?

So I was talking to this dude about weight lifting and benching and he's like " ehhh I'd say you can do like 135-145." I was pretty depressed about that because in reality, I can actually rep 205 :(... why is that?

Most Helpful Guy

• IF you weigh 152lbs 205lbs is good.

Who cares what people think. There is a big difference between looking strong and being strong. I know a lot of guys who look like their very strong although only train for aesthetics. Typically people have a misconception about physical strength.

Power lifter or lean athlete usually healthier then most gym guys. For example some cross fit guys jerk and press 2x their body weight or squat 2x body weight. That is real strength. That strength come from a variety of things including balance, flexibility, core strength (abdominal and hips)

What Girls Said 1

• Don't be depressed some people are a lot stronger then they look .When I was in my teens guys were amazed that I could lift twice my own weight . Was a real embarrassing for some guys because it was more then they could lift .

What Guys Said 4

• Due to your natural body somatotype...your body may not "look" like how it performs.

I'm an endo-meso bodytype so I'm built like a tank, but people almost always underestimate my speed and quickness.

• This reminds me of Tavon Austin, 5' 8" 170 lbs, benching 225 at the NFL combine 14 times. You can't tell how strong someone is just by their appearance.

• lol I'm only 5'11" 152lbs

• 225 14 times should be able to be done at that weight (170lbs) If its muscle.

• He isn't a body builder. He runs a 4.3 second 40. This is free weighs on an Olympic bar of course rather than on a machine.

• It must be that your body shape don't show how strong you really are. Don't be depressed about that. At least, you can be a Hulk in that "disguised" body.

• lol yeah but that doesn't really help me out with trying to get that beach body though :/

• you properly have dense muscle bro, like me. it's a good thing