Why do vegans always brag about how they're vegans?

I'm sure that at least some people here have fell victim to the videos of "Freelee the Banana Girl" on YouTube - a hardcore vegan who preaches nonstop about how veganism is the one and only way of life. And, yes, this is the SAME girl who explicitly stated that anyone who eats meat does not deserve to live.

Recently, she has made a response video (and a borderline-bullying parody) to another famous YouTuber, Ingrid Nilsen. In this video, Ingrid showcased her recipe of a chicken and egg waffle sandwich. Freelee's response is below:

Here is the parody:

My question is , why do (a large majority of) vegans CONSTANTLY brag about how their way of life is the only right one? Is it so impossible to just go about your business with your mouth shut and let others do the same? I'm sorry if this question might be upsetting to some people, but I really find these kinds of people very annoying. It almost makes me not want to become a vegan because of how awful they act.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's how they seek validation because at the core of their personality they aren't confident they are living the right lifestyle or making the right choices. By making the other choices seem like shit they feel more confident about their choice.(this isn't exclusive to vegans nor is this all vegans just the big mouth ones)

I just treat people like this like I treat a toddler who's clearly causing trouble.
    Ignore them. They will continue their behavior even worse when you ignore them but if you continue to ignore the toddler after they act out even worse eventually they figure out they won't get the response they want and give up.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's because being a vegan is really hard and they want everyone to know about their determination. I would hate being a vegan I wouldn't want to be with friends and someone suggests we grab a bite to eat and be that person constantly saying, can't eat there, or there, or there.

What Guys Said 23

• Don't know but their arguments are incredibly illogical. In nature the animals we eat would be eaten by something else so its not sparing them (in fact by being a food sources we have created a need for them and in turn ensured their survival, something "mother" nature would not have done). We are built to eat meat so its actually vital to us, in fact without it we would not have developed the large brains we have (its the reason why most people crave meats and sugars because they are high energy foods). In short I don't think they understand how nature actually works instead having a fantasy view where things live in harmony and are happy instead of the every single moment you exist your struggling to stay alive fending off starvation, trying to reproduce, tryign not to get eaten yourself etc. So they think that some how eating meat simply because their animals that it is some how not part of the natural order (despite the fact that it very much is). I think the moral high ground also comes to play where they can be holier then thou and feel good that their "superior" to others (kind of like pacifism), its a way of pretending that they are doing something morally good when in reality their actions have no impact what so ever (I mean she clearly has no issues with violence if she claims any one who eats meat doesn't deserve to live).

• I agree with the whole protein part. Hard to get if you are vegetarian and harder still if vegan.

• I never claimed it to be toxic. though, technically cooking meat does cause it release many carcinogenic chemicals. yes, some cholesterol is good for you, and it can be obtained from healthier sources, such as coconut oil or palm oil.

I never try to force my way of living on others. nor do I feel the need to preach bullshit like you did about being vegan is unhealthy.

• @thewanderingme I didn't say it was unhealthy I said removal of any food source from ones diet requires more variety, usually multiple different food sources to replace the one. It can very easily result in a loss of nutrients if you do not diversify, as you, and the other person mentioned and by extention confirmed. Meat is not unhealthy for you, as I pointed out already so that is inaccurate to claim otherwise. I did not preach, I answerd a question I pointed out he many fallacies used to justify the "moral" superiority argument that vegans use, and then you and Drooogie4 attacked my statement and attempted to shame me in an attempt to dismiss my statements while talking about how your way was superior. Ranging from claiming moral superiority (asking me if I had a concious) to Claiming that I am "preaching" as if I simply threw this out their completely unrelated to the question being asked. You attacked me and by extention proved my point and the askers.

• Part of the problem with being vegan and wanting everyone else to vegan is that creating mass agriculture destroys an animals natural environment, it's not sustainable. Besides, not eating animals leads to over population and starvation among many species, if we eat their food what do they eat? I see them complain about not wanting animals by products in their food, unfortunately all vegetables are grown in animal poop, it's a by product. Many are vitamin deficient as well, many vegetables don't contain enough magnesium which is a necessary nutrient for health. I think being a vegetarian is fine, which they still eat eggs and milk. Not milking a dairy cow can lead to the cows dying from infection and eggs that rot on the ground due to lack of fertilization can cause salmonella infections of the surrounding soil that could transfer to young children or other animals killing them too. The French diet is balanced and you'll notice how the French often have normal weight to height ratios, I think the answer for health is to eat a balanced diet and not get lead to extremes.

• Some people have an insatiable need to prove to the rest of the world just how morally clean and pure they really are. Some religious zealots do that (I am not against "religious," I am just against "zealots.") Social justice warriors and white knights do that: "Hey, everybody, look at what a good person I am!" Some vegans are the same way. I think they must have an overwhelming sense of guilt that they are trying to escape but they want to take us along for the ride and that is where I say, "Stop the bus! I wanna get off!"

• Veganism is absolutely a religion.

• @4465loveyou5577 So vegans decide that they are occupying the moral high ground and are a bit better than those who are still carnivores. It is just another variety of smug self-righteousness.

• 1. You're not a carnivore
      2. Actions speak louder than words and deciding that something so trivial as your culinary satisfaction can justify the cruelty that goes on in the meat industry is the ultimate "variety of smug self-righteousness."

• I was one once (now I eat dead birds again) and I was in that culture. Nothing wrong with them, they are promoting what they view and have found to be healthy and they want others to see that they don't have to eat meat and can be healthy as well. It works great for some, and harder for others. For example, some LD runners are vegetarian... makes them lighter. Some weight lifters are vegetarian... etc.. I had a hard time maintaining muscle mass because I was so active and started to feel bad. I think you have to be more careful what you eat. Realize a lot of Indians are vegetarian sot hat works, not sure about vegan..

you really have to find out what works best for you.. I tend to believe the blood type diet is somewhat accurate and to use as a guide. but experiement.
    Factory farming (a big promotion point for vegans) does seem quite bad for the animals so factor it into how you purchase. I try to purchase as high quality as I can... e. g. not farmed fish, free range stuff, beef from local farmer I know grass feeds them... etc..

• Self-righteous self-absorbed people who foolishly thinking this small, stupid, little ideal of a diet is doing something for their health, and saving the planet!!
    I just love hearing them bitch, after about 6 months, that they are having skin issues, hair issues, 'sexual issues'! Could it be Vitamin deficiency?
    Banana girl, and not eating meat: Look at evolutionary history!! Humans, most of us, at least, developed bigger, more developed brains, eating meat, with the full range of nutrients!! Maybe Banana girl likes being a 'cow' and eating grass, and being an idiot, while the rest of us focus on living, curing diseases, and advancing science!!

• lol, while I agree banana girl (I'm guessing you're referring to the woman who ate mostly bananas while pregnant) was an extremist wack job, most very are actually healtier and have better skin/age much slower than the general population. those who don't do well on a vegan diet it's because their junkfood junkies, which will fuck up any body, including those who eat lots of lean meat.

• Self-righteous and self-absorbed is having you head so far up your own ass that you think that a matter so small and stupid as you culinary satisfaction (at the expense of your health) could justify the slaughter of 150 billion animals every single year not to mention the damage that it causes to the environment.

• Vegans are mentally-constipated neurotics.

• I just ate a vegan snickerdoodle cookie. That's about as close to being a vegan as I get. Their passionate about what they believe. I don't just see this as being limited to just vegans. Most passionate people are annoying.

• Because that is the only joy they get in life. They don't eat steak or chocolate, so all they have left is to act superior about it.

• I have many vegan friends (I personally am pretty much the opposite of a vegan, lol) and none of them brags about it...

• probably because they have to eat all that shitty food and its so hard that it feels like a accomplishment so they get all high and mighty because they can do it i think part of being able to stay vegan is being able to hold that over other ppls heads that aren't vegan that they are eating so much better and healthier like they try and keep there mind off how crappy all the food is by tell others how great it is or some shit like that

• Some vegans have a smug "moral high ground" mentality, but not all of them. Trust me, I am born and raised in southern California and went to college in Santa Barbara, a very hippy-like leftist area... so I have been around a lot of non-meat-eaters.

• Some vegans may have a smug attitude but 100% of meat eaters put have such a high and mighty view of themselves that they think that satisfying their taste buds could ever justify taking the life of another living animal.

• because they are only a vegan so they can get feel superior by trying to make other people feel guilty

• I guess people feel like their way of life, beliefs, etc., are the way to go. (Keep in mind many different kinds of people can brag about some life choice or another.) Reality is a nightmare either way. One never really knows whether the universe is actually feeding protein synthesized and growing off of living animals. "Carnivores" can get a little rowdy too sometimes. It is what it is. Judge or judge not. Blame all, none, or only those you deem guilty.

• Usually because they have nothing relevant else to say. I mean when being Vegan is your number one thing, you know not much else is going on

• I dont know why they do it

• They want to make sure no one slips them a wiener...

• Because they are cold and lonely way up there on the moral high ground.

• vegans are annoying.

• to make meat-eaters feel bad...

• i am vegan i dont do that

• I think that is the way it seems because those are the only ones you ever hear from. Pretty much anyone that feels the need to run around announcing what they are has some serious issues. There are lots of people from many groups, and the crazy people always scream the loudest.

Christians, Atheists, gays, feminists, etc, will mostly just go about their daily lives, so you don't notice they are those things. Then the nut job walks up and starts screaming about how they are an atheist and offended over what is printed on our money, or how they are a feminist and we are living in a rape culture. That makes everyone in those groups start to look bad. I suspect Vegans are the same way. We are normally only hearing from the ones that have serious mental issues, as the sane ones are just going about their daily lives.

• I smoke crack 24/7 and think everyone should... yes even babies.

• mmmm i wanna bang that banana vegan chick ;)

What Girls Said 14

• I know plenty of vegans who are pretty cool and don't shove their ideas down people's throats. Freelee on the other hand, she's an asshole who tries to get famous off of other people lol. She just goes around insulting everyone so she can have attention, it's rather pathetic.

But I love how many radical vegans say you can't love animals and not be vegan. Is that why I dedicate at LEAST four hours of my time a week volunteering at an animal shelter when I have hella lot of work to do? Not to mention we feed the dogs at the shelter chicken and other animal products constantly, do the dogs hate animals too lol?

• Because how is exploiting and hurting animals okay?

Im sickened to think how i contributed to it all for so long.

The bragging and pushy ness from a lot of vegans doesn't help.
    But, think of the cause.

And educate yourself on it too. Please. Anyone that gets really educated about it, can't feel justified in eating animals anymore.
    Its such a sad thing.

• torturing animals only for pleasure.

• Exactly.
      For your tastebuds you'll let it go on.

I mean, not to mention there's like a billion health and environmental bonuses to leaving animal products. @Sabretooth

• Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats). Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats). About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. so, the question is... how many of those animals are eaten?

• There's something seriously wrong with Freelee but that's another story. To me as long as the animal was raised right (I don't eat veal) and killed humanely, I'll eat it. I won't lie and say I don't mess up and get my meat or dairy from a bad source. It happens sometimes.
    Back to the point. Imagine if you saw people slaughtering puppies left and right you'd probably flip. I think it's the similar feeling to them which is why some may act this way. They think that because they don't kill and only eat leaves they're geniuses. Who knows what's going through their heads.
    Anyways I'm a meat eater and damm proud to be one cause I mean shit.. have you ever tasted fried chicken? Or a nice steak? Yummmmy. Just kill responsibly.

• I get your point about how such things make people uneasy to think about or let go, but I just have to ask about your response. So if humans were humanely harvested and consumed, would you be okay with that, especially if they were tasty?

• @Psi_Unknown Humans being harvested by humans or other animals? The first would be odd and would be awkward to eat what we're supposed to nourish and support as a species but that's another topic.
      If by another animal sure, feed some of us fatty foods put some of us on a paleo diet or whatever makes us tasty. Can't really help it if you're prey. And I think as predators, we've done pretty well.

• At higher levels of abstraction, everything may look the same. Still, I suppose if you want to consider so-called primitive animals or high-level animals (maybe aliens in another galaxy) predators and that helps you sleep at night, be my guest.

• I think vegans think they're better than anyone else because being vegan is super expensive and its a diet MOSTLY rich people could do and obviously because they think they are better then meat eaters :/

• Actually cheaper.
      Unless you're like, a whole foods shopper only.

You eat normal. You buy produce.
      Dairy and meat alternatives are easy to find and not expensive.. usually healthier too.

"Expensive " is a bullshit excuse. Its not.

• You can live poor on a vegan diet (beans and rice are some of the cheapest foods available).

• @4465loveyou5577 Yeah thats true :) those are 2 of my fave foods too

• I actually really enjoy freelee's videos. Probably in the minority here.

• Also, I see people here saying "humanely kill" the animal.
      But how do you "humanely kill" a living creature so you can eat it and turn it into waste? Animals value their lives just as us humans value our own. I (personally) don't believe there is any humane way to kill an animal when it comes to humans eating it.
      This is where the lines get blurry, in my opinion. I don't care what other people choose to eat.
      But I agree with freelee, and you have to be harsh because people don't connect what they see in the grocery store to where it came from. But I don't agree with her saying all meat eaters must die.

• electrocute the brain first. if you don't they feel you cut open their neck and bleed to death consciously.

• @FilthyPervert

While electrocuting, let's not forget to show the "evils" of that kind of electricity too! Why spread blame and hate in one way, when you can spread it in many ways all at once! Disclaimer: what I just said was sarcasm and an explanation for the sarcasm; it is not meant to be followed, and you do this at your own risk of being stupid or having that same thing done to you.

• people should be able to be proud and passionate about whatever they want. if you're not into it then stop seeking them out. ;)

• Proceed with caution!!! Vegans can get feisty!!

• they are self righteous asshats that make sure you know and everyone else knows they are dumbass vegetarians

• She's a BITCH, that's why! If I want to eat meat, I'll bloody do it. If I want to post up a recipe, I'll bloody do it!! She can't just go ahead and keep on jugding people that eat meat!! Each to his fucking own self.

• You know... I don't know. Maybe to prove something? I don't get why they do it though... I don't brag about being a Meat Eater so.

• It's so annoying

• lol veganism and vegetarianism is a cult. Have you ever noticed they are quick to push their beliefs down their throat? And they are so damn angry, its like a new religion or something. We are mammals , and we are ontop of the food chain. We are meant to eat meat , tell a lion to go vegan. Problem with vegans is their beleifs hold zero logic next to evolution and science.

• Its impossible to be vegan.

• I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but I can see where they are coming from.
    I think in order to understand their mindset you have to see killing an animal and killing another human being at an about equal point in your morality scale.
    Most normal human beings look down upon murderers. Most normal human beings will preach that murder is wrong. Most normal people would definitely not mind their own business if someone were to talk about how they think murder okay.
    Those vegans feel the same the way about animals. They want to save as many as they possibly can.