GAG MAG! (The Different Types Of Trolls)

We often hear many other online members call others a troll.

But what exactly is a troll?

Troll - Originally given it's name after the wicked troll creature of children's tale, The word "troll" describes a member that is abusive or obnoxious . He/she uses shock value to promote arguments and disharmony in online communities. An internet troll is someone who stirs up drama and abuses their online anonymity by purposely sowing hatred, bigotry, racism, mysogyny, or just simple bickering between others.
Trolls like a big audience, so they frequent blog sites, news sites, discussion forums, and game chats. Trolls thrive in any environment where they are allowed to make public comments.

If experience is gained, trolls can be detected automatically. This allows online members to stay clear of the trolls usually harmful intentions

Throughout the many years I have been on this site, I have observed different types of trolls.

Below I will list them, in efforts to make you more aware of the different forms they take on.

1. Godzilla Troll

The more you respond to this troll, the larger and bigger he grows. Replying to him, makes him feel he has power over you. He continues to post with vengeance. The profanities and the hatred he spreads doesn't end. He can be seen as a bully because he constantly tries to demean others and engages in harmful language.

2. Poisonous Troll

Like the Godzilla troll, he also harbors a lot of hate and vengeance. What causes this troll to differ from Godzilla, is that he has the power to influence others. When he posts a message, other members tend to take on a similar hateful tone. A lot of commenters, don't realize they are being poisoned with his toxins. He is the most influential of all because he can allow your topic of discussion to turn into a battlefield.

3. Comic Troll

This troll is the least harmless. Usually he/she posts or comments to give himself a few laughs. He is very bold and blunt, and at times will say the most outrageous things. Sometimes this troll is able to make other members laugh along side of him. Although obnoxious at times, he allows room for you to love him because he may add humor to an otherwise boring topic.

4. Celebrity troll

This troll usually reveals his/her identity because he doesn't hide behind an anonymous username. He is the boldest of all trolls because he allows himself to be seen. Since this person comments frequently he is well known, so much so that he has taken on a celebrity roll. This troll is usually the most verstaile of all because at times he can be poisonous, godzilla or a comic.

5. Catfish troll

This troll is extremely attractive! or so you think? When you research his/her identity it's clear to see the photos she claims is hers is not. Even when caught, this troll usually refuses to admit it. This catfishes main purpose is to decieve others and attain a level of attraction (from others) that he/she doesn't recieve in the real world. This troll is very attention seeking and will often post pictures of themselves asking for opinions. Sometimes this troll private messages others in attempts to stir up a normal conversation. This troll may appear normal in behavior to some, but is very harmful in the sense that he/she is decieving and stealing another person's identity.

6. Intoxicated troll

This troll blurts out utter non-sense. He usually rambles on and on. It is at times difficult to make out exactly what he is saying. When he is in a poor mood, he will leave 3 word replies to various different questions or topics. Members usually see his responses as un-helpful and irrevelant. This troll's existence is usually short, since he serves no main purpose and tends to fade away quickly. Unlike the other trolls, he eventually sobers up and takes on a more conforming/helpful roll.

How can we stay clear of trolls?

Simply ignore, block or report them!

The more you respond,

The more they multiply!

Enjoy your topic of discussion by not feeding the trolls!

The atmosphere will be a lot more enjoyable that way!

And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand.

Thanks for reading!

Good day!

Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 16

• Exactly. The only thing to do with a troll or anyone who's negative about you is to simply ignore they exist.

The thing is when you start to listen and fight trolls its like they infect you and suddenly you're feeling super negative/mad yourself and you're saying/doing things that you know aren't right.

If you remember that was happening to me a lot... and honestly the change for me was literally seeing some of the top users get hated on badly and simply ignore it.

Now, I get private messages all the time with people giving me props and saying they don't understand why i get so much hate (which I don't even notice i do anymore) It makes me sad that the very active trolls intimidate people from giving props and just generally liking everyone in the community that they feel they have to go about it privately, but at least I'm still able to help and give advice that's listened to despite my reputation.

• I encountered a Godzilla troll a couple times.
    I remember one time this on guy kept telling me that Hawaii is an independent nation. Man I wasted so much time arguing with him.

• Good take again - I must admit I engage with comic troll a bit but I usually ignore the rest of the trolls - If I am feeling if I might try and piss them off - There was a stereotypical baiting question the other day and I linked them to a 60 page university report on the topic "For further info"

• Lol best my take ever I would say I am the comic troll :P, but you forgot one type the blondfrog troll seriously I am such a great and original troll I deserve my own category I am the champ :)
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...bc92cf03bc.jpg

• about #6...

"This troll's existence is usually short, "

^not true in all cases unfortunately... and this is da worst type of troll in my opinion :(

• "Usually" is the key word hence he/she's intoxicated and sobers up.

I think the poisonous troll is the worse because they influences many others.

• if they r influenced by a troll... then wot can i say?

it's worse but... i guess i'm biased a little bit about #6 tbh :|

• Why are you biased though? I have my speculations but I'm just wondering your perspective

• hahaha great mytake lol, we finally have classifications and classes of trolls now.

• Very interesting mini encyclopedia of trolls :D

• I think that trolling is funny.

• where can I buy some troll spray?

• You forgot to mention another type - "John_michaels"

• Lol, Troll spray :D

• Someone has to pay the troll toll toll

• Sour much from being trolled?

Come on, trolls are just here to have fun 😂they're fun to play with 😂 no harm at all

Just don't take them seriously...

• You'd be surprised...

There are many different kinds of trolls as stated.
      Not all of them are here to have fun.

At times you don't even realize you are being trolled.

• Yea but being as bold as you are about your thoughts obviously HAS to attract trolls and assholes. You would seem like the type of target for them because of how you may voice your opinions.

There will always be people who disagree with you and often they'll do something about it to show their disapproval, which would be trolling! :DDD

• Let's just call them relatives huh? Lol.

Asshole people may cause major reaction just like a troll but they differ in the sense that isn't their main purpose online.

Either way , I like to stay clear of both.

• "3. Comic Troll
    This troll is the least harmless."
    Least harmless or least harmful?
    33.media.tumblr.com/.../...epTebG1rd60xqo1_500.gif
    I am #3. Maybe #4 too 8)
    Wait! Did you say troll? No no no.. no I am just too-honest.
    _______________________________________________________

by the way I see people who are sarcastic which "may" offend the other person (if he/she is too sensitive) as trolls (but their intentions are to make people laugh).
    And rest as 'cyber bullies'. They just cause harm and their intentions are mean.

• I Loved ya take now "psst psst how does 1 become a #troll? >_< i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif</a>

What Girls Said 10

• Ahahah awesome take! 😂

• I love how it's all males, then you change the catfish to female. Women troll and males catfish! It's not trolling either, it's simply cat fishing, where the person wants attention and affection, not to just annoy people.

• In all of then I said his/her in the beginning. (You're free to choose whichever sex you want to read it as).

I couldn't keep saying his/her throughout , for me that ruins the reading.

• 1 & 2 is all "he". You could use "they".

• In most of them I used his/her I said.

You can choose whichever sex you feel most comfortable using.

Lets not change this into a gender war trend.

Insert whichever sex you feel most comfortable using.

Problem solved.

• Well you forgot the Self Depreciating trolls - Trolls who often fall in bizarre predicaments to make others laugh like green penis dude. They don't harm anyone and make for a great laugh.

• nice take lol! i think i should get myself one of those troll sprays

• Great Take, Stacy, I hope you don't mind if I mention a few that I thought up?

Follower Troll:
    This is the troll who sees that while someone is being ganged up on, they join in with others who are troll or not because they know they are with the majority of haters.

Highschool Dropout Troll:
    Everything they say is so ridiculously unintelligent, loaded with spelling and grammatical errors, and their facts are blatantly incorrect. When asked to provide proof or a link, they refuse, they ignore, or they tell you to do their homework for them.

High-Handed Troll
    This is the polar opposite of the HSDT (above, god I'm even abbreviating them?) You can tell this troll does have their facts straight, but there is something so undeniably cocky and assuming against others about how they deliver what they say. These are the ones quick to tell YOU how it is, and if you try and rebut you find their facts are sure enough there, it's just their personality and quips are disgusting in the mix of their information.

Naked Troll:
    This is the troll unwittingly exposed themselves, who totally forgot to go Anonymous when they responded and their username is now out there after they just went off on a flame fest against someone when they normally wouldn't have under their usual identity and probably shit their pants as soon as they clicked "submit" or "send" when they were finished their outrageously rude comment realizing they outed themselves.

TransTroll
    This troll is a woman posing as a man, or a man posing as a woman. They sometimes get caught, they sometimes don't, but these people usually find that when they're getting roasted in a comment, will hop on the other horse - the sock account of the "other" gender to come in and look like they're saving the day representing the other gender in a comment when the person is being attacked by that same gender. On GaG, if the person posts a Question on their TransTroll account, the favoured gender's replies will all show first before the others.

UnderAgeCatfish Troll
    This is usually a grown man posing as a very young teen aged girl. Easy to spot. Most people these days can't spell worth a damn, but magically this unique troll will create an account posing as a minor, yet she has all the knowledge of a 50 year old man to talk about explicit things, but has a weird conversation style that ranges from mature-sounding to baby-talking, and makes references that are unrealistic for a young teen, but are fantasy-like for an older man.

• The "follower troll" would fit under a sub category under the "poisonous troll".

You added wisely to the list!
      I have yet to cross some of those trolls you mentioned.
      They are still being discovered because unfortunately there is an entire species of them out there

• Hear the *crickets* in this Take? You checked off "no Anonymous posts" didn't you? LOL

• Lol yes. I had to use my troll spray

• When gag gonna nip that daily troll for complaining being 30, single and childless?

• I tend to answer things in a sarcastic manner but I'm not sure if that's trolling

• If your intent isn't to cause harm or purposely annoy people by your sarcastic remarks then I wouldn't say you are trolling.

• I wish I never read this at night
    Some of those troll pictures look scary as hell lol

• Ew race baiting trolls tho
    Gr8 take

• Ahh! What a good take! Hopefully more people will take your advice!