How to structure long questions for G@G

Hey G@G,
Here is a quick layout I made to help some of you out when asking those long difficult questions.

Title

Make sure to make your title lets the reader know exactly what the question is about. It should be short and simple.
Eg. "Should I go out with her?"

Introduction

In the introduction you want to provide a quick overview of what you are talking about. This allows people that have been drawn in by your title can quickly identify if they are equipped to answer the question you are presenting.

Body

In the body of the question, you want to explain yourself in full detail. Make sure to keep your story in past tense and also ensure it's in chronological order to avoid confusion. Using proper sentence structure, paragraphs for new ideas and minimising grammatical errors will allow the question to be easily read and therefore easier to understand.

Conclusion

For the conclusion you want to end with a short question that sums up all of the ideas you have presented and gives the reader a clear direction to take in their answer.
Eg. "Taking all the above into consideration, do you think I should still peruse this relationship?"

Using this layout will help you get your questions across effectively and greatly increase the chance of someone giving you a helpful answer. Just remember, the more effort you put in to your question the more effort people are likely to put into their answer!

Hope this helps some of you get those much needed questions answered

- Tim
How to structure long questions for G@G

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 2

• eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Also, don't put a big block of text. The moment I see a huge block of text, I hit the back button.

What Guys Said 8

• this is actually a good take. the only thing I would add is that when people have really long questions like these that they simply *have* to post they should work BACKWARDS from the steps you mentioned. and that is the key to really crystallising and refining the concept of what it is they want to ask. they go from "this girl did xyz blah blah blah *insert notions of deep insecurity*" to simply, "should I ask this girl out". often by the time they have come to the more *refined* question, they have usually have the answer anyway.

• I really wish this never had to be submitted

• this is so metta... i like it!

• Long questions are often ignored. I'm also guilty for that sometimes. Even when they're nicely presented in front of us. I've noticed that most of people are more interested in answering shorter and 'fun' type of questions.

Nice suggestion btw!

• I don't think you made this layout this is the standard layout for basically everything e. g. an article.

• Whilst obviously having a Title, Introduction, Body and Conclusion is a common theme for most written works its more about what specific information I added to help form G@G like questions rather than the idea of having that structure.

• What info did you add cos everyone knows what to put under title, body, conclusion etc.

• You understood so early. You're just lv 3!

• When I answer questions (or even type long answers) I also like it when their paragraphs have an empty line in between. Even if they split things into paragraphs, without indentation, it can still be a bit hard to read through.

I find giving a line break like I did just to be very beneficial in splitting thoughts up and providing clarity.

But yeah-- I agree with this take for sure. I've come across many long questions from scouring the no opinion section. If I just see a mass of text in one long paragraph, I tend to just move on right from it.

• Good idea for a take - So many of these type questions fall by the wayside because they are so hard to read and decipher.