STOP INVITING ME TO SHARE OPINIONS ON YOUR QUESTIONS!

Not too long ago, GaG added a handy little "invite" option to questions and MyTakes. At first I was totally on board with the idea. It could help out new users who need to stir up more opinions on their questions, or it could be used to show someone specific something you think they'd have a good answer to. I never used the invite option myself, but it seems that I'm involved in it quite often.

I don't use this site nearly as much as I used to since school started up, but I do still get on here occasionally. I get so excited when I see my notifications lit up with a little number 10 or even 20 next to it! But alas, it's just a bunch of strangers inviting me to share my opinion on things I have no view or interest on.

I do not want to be involved in your political debate.

I will occasionally share my opinion on a political topic, but I honestly hate being involved in political discussions or debates. I don't have a large knowledge in the topic, and I have zero interest in it. However, I seem to be invited to share my opinion on one daily.

I do not want to tell you my sexual preferences.

I've become a lot more open with mildly sexual questions here since beginning my membership. I'm not very widely knowledgeable in that topic, but I do have my share of experiences and advice to those who need it. However, apparently being a female and answering even one sex related questions means I will answer your deepest stalkerish wonders. Seriously guys, I don't want to answer your sex questions. You don't need to know if I like to be fingered or if I like pubic hair on men. Those are things you probably shouldn't be asking me, and things I definitely won't be answering. Just stop inviting me to it.

I can not help you with every life issue.

There are a few people who I've managed to help out with some tough life decisions. Unfortunately, some of those people have begun to see me as some wise-beyond my years little problem solver. I can tell you when you've found yourself in a family issue and how to deal with it, but I cannot be a psychiatrist. I will listen to your sad stories and try to give my input, but I cannot fix your dissolving relationship with your mother. I honestly feel bad not being able to help, but if you need my advice you can ask me in a personal message and I'll answer to the best of my ability. I will not answer on a question you've invited me to several times.

I have no interest in any of this! Why are you even inviting me?!

If you invite me to answer your question or read a MyTake, please try to make sure it's something I'd enjoy answering or reading. If you don't specifically think of me while asking or writing something, there's a chance that I'll feel no connection to it and won't bother leaving an opinion. It is easy to tell what things would interest me simply by checking out other things I've answered, wrote, or even said in private messages. It isn't hard to think "Would she really care about this?" If the answer is no, please don't invite me.

I have nothing against being invited to answer questions, but it's ridiculous to have 10-20 invites and no interest in a single one I'm invited to. I do have a couple of people who regularly invite me to things (literally all of their posts), and I do like most of those people themselves, but the invites are outrageous. If I want to answer, I'll see it and answer. If you think I'd like to answer, then feel free to invite me. Otherwise, invite everyone else, please.

lexythelou22 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

Do you mind if I invite you to my paranormal and creepy things questions and takes?

Lol its funny I wrote a mytake about this couple days ago and it didn't get promoted. But I agree I think its oky just as long as its not excessive.

Pretty sure mine only did because I'm an editor, and I agree. I don't mind a few, but there are people that invite me to everything they write.

Yeah I know its annoying haha that's exactly what I ranted about too.

Perks of being an editor.

Let me guess, this is intended for that guy who constantly posts about 80's music and invites about 20 people to it.

You can turn them off you know...
    If not just click read all notifications
    Not that big of a deal...

Look at few of the comments here. I was not aware of the ability to turn them off.

To be honest it is just a notification to me and I will know from that whether I am interested or not.

My main issue is getting 20 at a time and having to leaf through them to find my actual notifications

Maybe I am on here more often than you - Only time I get multiples are first thing in the morning but I always have loads every morning

Was not aware of this feature. Don't care.

You do not have to answer, if you are invited. We just invite you because we think you have good answers, or, because you know about the topic. Every time I ask a cheerleading question, I invite any cheerleader that I know of, on the site. Why? Because they know about the topic

Sometimes I wish you could downvote takes

OKAY! Then go to your settings and turn off the notifications for invites...

What Girls Said 4

I invite people to my questions. They don't have to answer if they don't want to, I just want more people to see my questions. :)

I understand that. I just mean people who invite me to everything they post, which usually tends to be the perverts asking me about nasty things.

To parrot what a few have already said... turn off the notifications for invites. Problem solved. I don't personally invite people to my questions, but persons I follow on GaG do. It's there so if you like or want to participate in what the people you're following are doing, it makes it easy for you to find. But if you don't want to be bothered, just turn the thing off.

There are a few questions I'm invited to that I don't mind, it's mostly just the creepy "do you like *insert weird ass sexual thing*" or "why do you HATE Trump?" Type questions I hate being invited to. I didn't have any idea that you could turn off notifications for certain things.

As far as I know, you can only get invites from people you follow, so perhaps unfollow the people who routinely send you gross stuff. As for the others, you can't only turn if off for some, and on for others (unless you unfollow the ones that annoy you as above).

Thanks!

• 7d

thanks for sharing

Then just go to your settings and under "notifications", uncheck the box about invites. Easy. You can't really expect people to know what topics YOU'RE interested in participating in.

It isn't hard to tell what interest me if you have literally one conversation with me. Why invite a million random people to answer something when you could invite people who you think actually could help? Also, I didn't know you could disable notifications for certain things until now.