What does it mean when a guy calls you by your last name?

Is he flirting/playing with you or is it his way of saying "you are and will always be just a friend - friend zone"?

I emailed a guy friend of mine and started it with "Hey hon" - my email was not romantic or leading in anyway. He responded to my email with addressing me by my last name, stating some fact and signing it. It just surprised me that he addressed me by my last name. I felt it was cold and maybe setting the tone that I shouldn't have addressed him as "hon"?

I didn't mean anything by the "hon" but I don't know if I may have freaked him out by addressing my email to him like that. He isn't a very close friend so maybe he thought it was romantic and wanted to let me know not to get any ideas?

Guys, what do you think?

• Vote A He is flirting with you and likes you a lot.
  • Vote B He wants you to know that you are and will only be considered a "friend", not girlfriend.
  • Vote C He is socially retarded and should never refer to any woman by her last name.

Most Helpful Guy

• That the person is disrespectful, if someone calls me hon, I am smart enough to know that it means honey and you meant nothing by calling him hon in the first instance. Though for him to send you can email and address you by your surname is not right, he has no manners.

I can understand that you though it was a bit cold, getting called by your surname. That is like you have a pet dog and saying to it here dog get over here, instead of saying Sheba come here.

It is not always the best thing to let people you hardly know your email address. I would ignore him if he is stupid enough to address you with your surname.

• This is not true at all. It is extremely common in workplace/business settings to refer to someone by their surname in e-mails, and it is disrespectful to refer to them by their first name if you are not familiar with them. You seem to have got this completely the wrong way around.