Why do I look so different in pictures than I do in person or in the mirror?

Well, for some reason, I always look fatter or my face looks different or straight out weird in pictures, but in the mirror or in person, I look a lot better. I know I'm not the only one who sees this difference, because I've been told a lot of times by people who met me after having first seen my pictures that I'm way prettier in person and that my pictures don't do me any justice. Even when my close friends take my picture, they always say that I never photograph well and they don't get how I look the way I do in person and yet take such bad pictures. They say even in the pictures that I take myself (which look much better than when other people take them), I still look slightly different in them (example: my nose looks a little wider than it does in person, or I'm slightly washed out looking...). I've also been told by people that I look the same way to them as I do in the mirror, and I noticed the same thing with a lot of people as well, so I don't really get the whole "the mirror is a reversed image of yourself" thing "and it's different from how people see you". So what gives? O.o

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I have the exact same problem. Everytime I take a picture I'm shocked because it just doesn't look quite as good as when I look into the mirror. Other people have told me this as well. This hurts my image greatly because all my Facebook pics look crappy, plus my online dating ones. But in real life, I swear I'm not bragging, I look SO much better. The camera ALWAYS seems to bloat my face and features even though I have a thin athletic body.

I think we need super expensive cameras and not these cheap cell phone ones.

• i co-sign this statement. same goes for me and its annoying

• Me too! I just took a pic a few days ago and I swear I looked bloated! I aged 10 years in it =(. But a pic I took a day before looked really good! So I totally agree with what you said here =)

What Guys Said 11

• I know beautiful girls who look like crap on camera. and I know some kinda decent girls who look great on camera.

its all about facial and body features along with the lighting surrounding you and how close the camera lens is near or far.

• "because I've been told a lot of times by people who met me after having first seen my pictures that I'm way prettier in person"

isn't this a pick up line?

• Photographs cannot pick up all the subtle nuances that the human eye can, nor can they capture the most important function of "looks" - motion. People in motion look vastly different to the eye than people in still frames.

As for the mirror being a "reversed image of yourself" - look in a mirror. Wink your left eye. Your reflection winks its right eye. That's what people mean when they say its a "reversed image". If it was not a "reversed image", you'd be staring at your own back when you looked into a mirror, which would be weird.

But cool.

• mirror is like it's more of your point of view, while a camera image is more of normal view of you, but sometimes camera image could be less accurate due to bad lighting, bad angle, bad expression etc

• Look up the word: "Photogenic" in wikipedia...

More from Guys
6

What Girls Said 20

• Some people just aren't photogenic. You can be the prettiest person in the world, and still look bad on a camera.

Plus from a camera you get to see yourself from a whole load of unflattering angles you've never seen yourself from before - and honestly, people will never really see you from either.

• link

Check out the above link. Hope it helps x

• The camera actually does "add ten pounds". Promise. Or you aren't photogenic, or maybe you just need a particular lighting. My sister has the opposite problem. She's worked for years making sure every one of her Facebook profile pictures is beautiful and she edits them to the point where the girl in the picture is beautiful but very rarely resembles the real thing.

So be glad you're prettier in person. At least you surprise people pleasantly...rather than my sister. When they meet her in person, they're like... O.o Dear god. Who the hell are you?

• Me, too, and I've seen other people who are the same.

• It has to do with how your pictures pic up the light.

A round face tends to look fatter in pictures because their cheek bones tend to not pick up the liht as much. Same with your body.

I suggest using tricks like tilting your face and angling your body to create angles and shape.

If you are worried about how your face looks, still smile but don't smile too big. In pictures it can make your face appear rounder and more red, so do a small half smile.

• Thanks for the tip. :) I do have a round face shape, so what you said makes sense.

• I have a round face too, so I have to work around it.

More from Girls
15