Real woman aren't defined by our bodies!

Lately in the media I keep reading all these articles about what a real woman is. This isn't some feminist related article I don't believe in that. But I'm getting fed up with the media and others calling real woman the ones that over weight or curvy. What about the skinny girls? What are we not real? Are we artificial like food coloring because we're not natural?

Makes me wonder is the media now promoting us to be fat ? Because apparently skinny is out and fat is in.

I'm really not trying to call anyone out on their weight but either way a real woman is a woman not defined by her body. I'm so sick of the media portraying something different.

So to be clear all woman are real despite our unhealthy or healthy bodies. Maybe we're stick thin or maybe we're as big a cow were still a real person.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• Simple.

There are tons of fat women today.

The media realizes that fat women will just gobble up anything that puts a salve on their damaged, fat, male-attention lacking souls, such as media material saying fat is hot and men just don't know.

Hence, more media promoting fat women.

• Correct, a 'real woman' is defined by 'her'

How sure she is in herself and how she carries herself with a confident, self assured aire

Yes... and she is more likely to feel all of those things if she is healthy and fit.

• I never understood the female civil war based on bodytypes. It's so silly, there are many different shapes and sizes of woman to enjoy. :)

• fan fucking tastic.

#fuckmedia

• Lol thanks 😁

by the way cause your my number one fan and all I put up a new vblog on my blog so you better watch it !

• im watching that one next.

I watched the other one hahaa.

• Hahaha their kind of ridiculous lol the drunk one was like 28 minutes of different videos so yeah that was funny I think haha but it's not really that funny just stupid and embarrassing but oh well 😳😂

• I agree with you. I'm tired that they have to stop the shaming of fat people with the shaming of those that aren't fat, it's just turning people against each other.
    Plus, it's not good for society to make us see being fat as good, cause fat is unhealthy.
    We should stop shaming, that ain't cool, but we shouldn't try to stop it by shaming those that aren't fat, and by trying to convince us that fat is ok.

• But i still love curves

• Real women are... whatever they want to be.

• true!

because the media now identifies women for their bodies is the reason why celebrities like The Kardashians and any other famous ass clowns who control the media exist

• I'm so sick of the kardashians don't get me started on them but it's totally true.

• Real women, were the women who helped America help Europe and Russia, beat Germany and Japan

• I have been called fat before (even by girls, how nice right, behind my back, but i heard it..), and i was never actually that fat, just some plus on my belly, really nothing big.

So what im trying to say is, we all have to exercise, to have a healthy body, we can't just sit around all day and expect to have a good body.

• yeah it's hilarious i had this one fat chick call me a "bigot" because i didn't find her attractive. she actually had the hubris to say that i don't like real women.

• 😂😂😂 smh that's ridiculous. I mean yeah some guys are into the big girls some guys aren't that's just personal preferences ha ha can't believe she got so offended 😂😂

• But here is the thing though, she was like shocked that i dared reject her. Like it was hate speech or something.
      Like when did they become a race?

• Lol wow seriously. I really think people like that need sense smacked into them. I mean personally I just don't understand how guys even go for fat girls in the first place. And I know that sounds horrible but I just don't understand. But anyways that's not a race she's just upset she got denied because every other guy probably lets her down softly lol

• Realistically extremes aren't very desirable, the physique that would have the most mass appeal would be in the middle, thin with curves. Its the same for guys too, skinny physiques, fat physiques and body builder physiques are not ideal. The male physique that would have the most mass appeal would be an athletics build.

I've heard that in times were food is scare guys will be more likey to prefer women who are heavier and in times where food is abundant guys will be more likey to prefer skinnier women. Also whatever is rare is usually held in higher regard.

Currently in the US being fat is more common and people are unhealthy. Most guys will prefer girls skinnier than the ones in that dove ad however not nessesarily runway model skinny. The reason why they did that campaign is to appeal to the demographic of heavier girls. The media really doesn't care about making girls feel good. That add is just a way to gain brownie points with the heavier girls.

Whats funny is the girls in those adds still aren't a representation of the typical girl. Those girls are all like 5'8 with near hourglass proportions with clear skin and nice jawlines.

The typical girl doe NOT look as good as those girls. So they are still portraying an unreachable image.

• So it's ok for women to be fat, that's sad.

• You are right.
    According to me, social media is portraying the curvy or fat women because most men mean that or they just want to make fat women proud of themselves. As for the 'real' women I think, being a woman depends upon how they think about themselves and what what others think about them.

• I agree. Not to derail your point, but I understand how you feel. I hate the term real man. People may not like they way he chooses to live his life, but he is still a real man. I want the term real man to go away, but because that shaming tactic is so good at controlling men, now people are starting to using it to control women as well. One may be about a woman's body, and the other may be about a man's behavior, but they are still unfair accusations. This type of gender shaming needs to end, instead it seems to be spreading and becoming a bigger problem for women.

• You know it's funny I never heard the term real men til recently. I think all of it just needs to stop. Everyone's real in my opinion.

• Yes, I agree it needs to stop. Maybe in the future this type of shaming will be taken more seriously.

• I don't think body shaming is ok but at the same time being fat or skinny (to the point of skin and bone) shouldn't be promoted either. Nevermind the whole attractive/unattractive aspect but it's just not healthy.

• No offense, yes. Beauty is fleeting and it's the inside that counts, but it doesn't hurt to be healthy and have low body fat.

• True my point was more to the media saying that a "real woman" isn't skinny rather their curvy or fat or what ever. Kind of eliminating the skinny people too. Technically all woman are real not just based on size.

We are both inner and outer... when the two compliment each other, we are more likely to feel at ease.

• So, what are you defined by then?

• Real women are women.

• Honestly, I don't understand why people on the internet have this big thing about making sure that they define what being a real "man" or a real "woman" is. Usually, the ones about being a "real man" have to do with idealized characteristics of a male while the "real women" have to do with loving women no matter what they're like. If you're male, you're a real man. If you're female, you're a real woman. Simple as that. No need to make up nonsense criteria that just ends up putting others down.

• Yes ! Exactly. I just don't understand it either it's rather annoying. All people are real.

• Precisely. People are people. They're all real. And, you're right; it is rather annoying.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 19

• When I was waiting for the bus at the bus stop, a few times I had few people actually told me that I weren't real just because I'm not fat, like seriously? They claimed I don't have curves. Why can't people understand that overweight is not okay, it's unhealthy! The media shouldn't educate us that being obese is okay.

• This was good but I'd just like to say that I don't agree with the promotion of over-weight, unhealthy women. The media is teaching our children that obesity is okay and that we should be happy no matter what size we are, but I disagree, shouldn't we be promoting our children to be healthy? To be fit?

• Absoultly. I mean it's okay to be happy being you but being a happy healthy you is better then being unhealthy over weight with possible health issues. I think they need to represent this whole campaign in a different way.

• I think you holding up the Dove Campaign for real women is a poor example of your point as the ads feature women specifically of all stature, races, and sizes to in fact encourage women who fit into all of those categories, which is all of us, to love ourselves the way we are. The words skinny or fat are not even mentioned. In fact their slogan is "to free women of this generation from beauty stereotypes." This is literally one of the only real campaigns out there for women promoting beauty of all kinds, and I feel its a shame you used them as part of your tag message. I however, do agree with your message that there should be no fat shaming or thin shaming, but there is also nothing wrong with someone saying curvy girls are beautiful or skinny girls are beautiful. Both of those statements are true and just because a curvy or skinny girl wants to say that, doesn't mean she is shaming the other; it may mean she simply loves herself for who she is.

• I hate that. Shaming one body type to promote another is not okay.

• I'M NOT REAL! I'm a pretend woman. I'm 22 (tomorrow) and have the female genetic code... but because I'm slim I'm not real :D

Yay imagination! :p

• A real woman OWNS being a woman. Whether she is skinny, overweight, tall, dark, light, handicapped, transexual, its her attitude that will carry her through.

• I hate the media... it's basically saying that woman have to have big boobs, big butt, and perfect body to be beautiful...:(

• Ladies, take a bow. The post we've been waiting for. Finally, someone who gets it.
    Thanks.

• You really nailed this take and the media even influences the teens around where I live to because these bigger girl think its okay to call me a stick and a boy because I'm thin and I constantly see everywhere skinny hate and how were not real women... It's really hypocritical

• Thanks for your input. That's how it is for me it's annoying and it's hurtful. We're real people.

• I agree. Media always says one thing, and then changes to the next. One year skinny girls are pretty! The next year every skinny girl is anorexic and the only way to be "real" and pretty is to have curves! Even so some of the "plus sized models" don't really even seem that big. They just look like average women! I don't know every woman should just accept her body and do her best to take care of it. Nice take btw!

• As a skinny girl myself I've often thought it. It's just insulting to say "real women ____", so am I fake? No type of body shaming should be allowed whether against bigger girls or skinnier girls.

• Exactly. Buzz feed posted the whole real woman thing I was pretty mad it's insulting to skinny people. We're not fake or deformed cause we're not average were people.

• Thank you omg, I'm so sick of hearing "skinny bitches" and " real men like curves, dogs like bones " as if women are defined by what men like, and as if a "real man" can't prefer a thinner girl.

• I disagree with all body shaming but you also have to realize that years before that skinny girls were "the only pretty girls" It's just going to be a cycle first slim, now curvy and hopefully they will stop it all together thy a woman is a woman and they're all beautiful no matter what, same with men.
    But you know the sad truth is no one is going to agree with any of that, and the media only promotes what is popular at the time. They don't care about what some people think as long as they have the majority support.

I think this was a way of fighting back at people for saying skinny girls were the only pretty ones... people were fed up with it, and the same thing is going to happen but the thing is no matter how much we bitch and complain about it nothing will change. If people actually take a stand then maybe we have a chance but I think we may just have to let it run its course.

• Also one question... The top picture and some stuff that you were saying implied that you were only really offended by the fact that they were promoting "fat" women.. So were you okay with it when they were promoting skinny women? And I'd say skinny women no matter what the media says about curvy women still have the upper hand, when everyone should be appreciated no matter what they look like.

I think all of this is bullshit and the media needs to stop favoring one image over the other..

• Its really funny and ironic how all these women in your post still have flat bellys.

• I agree. I think it's very hypocritical for media to promote one type of body as 'real' when there have been so many health issues that women go through because of trying to appear perfect. It's like media is trying to erase these issues by pointing the finger on only one type of body type and promoting it. What's the difference between this and the slim women who were the only ones being promoted? And media can't possibly capture all body types since there's so many different kinds of figures. What I would suggest is for media to capture a screenshot of large amount of people to the point where it's up to our imaginations to make up those body types. And while we imagine it, media should promote that all women are real so rather than us being influenced by media's images, we'll be influenced by our own thoughts and imaginations based on the positive message media says.

• Amen! I hate the pictures where they compare skinny girls to girls that have curves, and always say the ones with curves are better or sexier or "real women".

• Kinda of like women defining the term real man.

• I personally have never seen any pictures comparing "real men" except ones guys made out of humor.

But the whole real men have rock hard abs type thing is ridiculous.

• I think this whole "real man" and "real woman" notion should die.

• Those women in that first picture all seem to have identical bodies. Just another beauty standard.

• Hmmm this is all a little extreme, I think what they're trying to do is to promote a 'healthy body' wheter thats skinny or curvy, whatever. They try to make a point by putting these woman next to each other with all different types of bodies (some of them are actually skinny) they just want girls to know all body types are beautiful, unlike for example victoria secret who promotes just one type of body which is very very skinny girls, and yes it is beautiful but for 90% of the girls in this world just unrealistic, that's why they organize these campaings to enlighten girls to not be worried about not looking that way, not to promote obesity or being overweight no.. They just want overweigt and obesity girls to ALSO feel comfortable in their skin. And 'fat' is not 'in'

• But do you see any skinny girls in there? You seem the curvy ones but no skinny ones. Because their saying that's not real. I understand the whole campagne but it also makes the skinny ones feel like their not considered normal because their skinnier than the average. Point being all woman are real despite our size.

• I see at least three skinny women in that photo.