The real meaning of being yourself

It seems that "be yourself " is the first advice anyone would give to the other, and actually this is very logical and understandable because there's nothing better than being ourselves and not faking who we are, and it's very sad and pathetic to try to be someone else that is very different from our nature because fake is just fake, if you don't like yourself on your nature, you won't like it when you are fake and people will have the same image about you.

The real meaning of being yourself.

We all know the importance of being ourselves but do all of us understand the real meaning of that? Actually I have noticed that a lot of people misunderstand the real meaning behind "be yourself", for example, some overweight people will say " I don't want to lose weight because I'm being myself", now it's good that you have confidence about your body and you are not letting body shaming effects you BUT you shouldn't deny the reality that being fat isn't healthy or attractive for most people.

Now, this is just one example of people who misunderstand the meaning of being yourself, actually being yourself means being THE BEST of yourself, when you are changing the bad things about yourself ( which we all have btw), you are not being someone else besides yourself and you are not faking yourself, you are simply trying to be a better version of yourself, so when overweighted people try to lose weight they are not actually copying others who are fit and healthy, actually they are making a better, more attractive and healthier version of themselves. When you are changing the bad habits about you, you are actually improving yourself, you are not faking it. So we have to know the difference here. As a summary, I want to mention 2 important things:

1. Being yourself means being the best of yourself.

2. Trying to change the bad things about ourselves doesn't mean that we are not being ourselves, it actually means that we are successful people who try to be better.

This is my first myTake so I kept it short, if you have anything you want to add, please go ahead.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 22

• I sometimes feel like changing my beliefs/attitude to some things is changing who I am, but I guess that is who I am. We're all constantly adapting and improving ourself, yet we're still ourselves. We're not changing to be like someone else, we're changing to suit what we want to be and what makes us happy!

Good, thought provoking take. :)

• Yeah this is exactly what I'm trying to say, thank you :)

• I loved this myTake! Awesome job! :)

• Good take. :) People need to be themselves.

• nice Yazan!! I like this! :)

• Aww yeah. :)

• Nice take!

• I really love this take. I'm trying to be more of myself everyday :) <3

• I love this take :)

• Good take!

• I loved your take! Great read.

• Nice take!

• I think adaptation to an extent is necessary to fit into society, but I possess a lot of taboo traits as well and I wouldn't change them for anything else. I agree that it is okay to try to better yourself, but also accept and own that all human beings have flaws and nothing is perfect if humans are involved in it.

• Wise words haha, where have you been? I haven't seen you around here for a while.

• Yes, deactivating my account.

• Yeah I agree. I probably will sometime soon.

• i agree with most of what you said but the line " it's very sad and pathetic to try to be someone else that is very different from our nature because fake is just fake" kinda bothered me because you didn't put it very sensitively.

it's not pathetic to want to be accepted. most people don't 'fake' who they are because they want to but because they don't feel they will be accepted as themselves. no need to call people pathetic. it's human nature to want to be accepted by those around us

• Haha ok sorry if that bothered you, thanks for reading :)

• decent take

• Be nice, be open but don't be fake. Be yourself but if you know that not a nice thing to say to someone or even behind someone's back don't do it. Make it the best!

• That's correct

• Thank you very much :)

• yep anytime 😊😜😋!

• Very nice take! :)

• Great take 😊

• I agree! I think the only way one should interpret the meaning of "be yourself" is to strive to be the BEST version of themselves. It means progress and improvement, not stagnation and stubbornness to avoid change or be content with yourself when you know you can be better.
    Great take 😊

• Yeah that's exactly my point, thank you for reading :)

• I completely agree... :) especially when I said that bettering urself and changing how you act does not mean we are not being ourselves. :)

• Yes exactly, changing the bad habits is a part of improving ourselves to the best. Thank you for reading :)

• good take I liked it 😊 I find I have hard time sometimes being myself aspashelle when I try wrighting my profile on any site it seems when some people look at my profile they judge me to quickly and I would constantly be told saying I can't say this and can't say that and I would get annoyed or mad when ever people kept doing that to me and when I try to wright my profile I find I end up writing the same thing every time cause I can't think what else to wright

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 23

• Good first mytake!!

Maybe something to add being yourself is also being natural in my opion and that means don't think too much what should I do right now...(hope it's clear what I mean)

• A good mytake.

• Excellent take.

Simple and easy to understand explanation, because most people don't think of 'being ourselves' this way.

Because most people use 'being ourselves' as an excuse to not improve oneself.

• I had a friend once, let's call him bill. Bill , in essence, made me 'cool'. Without him i would probably be some loner or loser. He changed me and made me some one i was not but i have grown around that image of 'coolness' and have come to make myself into someone i love; i thank God for bill. You see, you can't be 'cool' and 100% yourself at the same time, society requires you to change so that you can fit in. Society will never form around individuals, no matter how much people want it to, that is not what society does (or should do).

• "Be yourself" is horrible advice. The reason being that you are an ever evolving thing; you know less about yourself than you could even imagine and as you grow older you learn more and more how little you know of the subject "You". One's "best self" is also a complete farce; for one how does one even define that? Other than obvious tangibles?

I mean for instance there are times when the best self does not look good, when it actually looks terrible to everyone, and it even sounds terrible to you; a man who is a workaholic with a goal of retiring early sounds dandy until you learn he is a father and almost never sees his children and spouse because of his work habits. Then he's not his best self. But his children will not have to worry about paying for most expenses and inherit great wealth and their own houses, etc. so is he doing the right thing or not?

"The Difficulty in Life is the choice." - George Moore

It means all decisions have consequences. What you see as the best you today will not be the best you in a year, or perhaps ten years, and what you see as abysmal about yourself today may be the groundwork for what, if it were changed, would become your best self. It is not so simple as to try and change what one considers good or bad because not everything one considers good and bad is obviously good or bad! This lends to our defeatist thinking such as this mode of thought that there is "a path" versus there just being one open plane with many directions and honestly no step is without effect.

• That's cool dude, wise words, your username doesn't fit you but actually this is my thought exactly, I already said that being yourself doesn't mean staying as who you are in everything thing, because again this self might be good or bad, but when you are trying to improve it you are not actually being someone else besides yourself, the advice "be yourself" is good as long as we understand it.

• The problem with "be yourself" is that it does two distinct things.

First it encourages disregard of others. Bettering yourself doesn't always include being mindful others but learning that balance is impossible if your mind's eye is solely on you. Growing into the world and weaving yourself into the lives of others as a positive force requires you to literally stop being "you" and start being "more than you". Your goals enter a different scope; instead of "I am better" it's "We are all better for this".

Second is the flip side of the first; it encourages feelings of isolation. What is more lonely than living a life designed solely around you being who you think is the best you? If people are an afterthought, that is to say "I became friendlier because I thought it would make me happier" versus "I became friendlier for your benefit, and it so happens that it makes me happier", then where exactly is the true gain?

The choice to help others should never be internal.

• Be yourself what a load of crap.

• Great job. I enjoyed reading this.

• You seem to have a lot of people disagreeing with you. i don't think it's bad thing to develop traits from others around you.

• there is no such thing.

Humans act a certain way so they can be accepted and gain attention. They don't act away that is themselves, they act in certain ways to fit in society and to be accepted.

If you are popular and have many friends then you basically doing stuff to stay in that group.

Humans are sheep.

Now block me.

• Agreed, often people think that 'be yourself' means 'don't change'. What it actually means is 'don't change for others, only for yourself'.

• Awesome myTake. You could not have made it any better. Its already perfect.

Especially, the summary.

• OP, Good Take :)

• Hahha, coming from the guy who was slagging off transgender people on another take

What a fucking hypocrite.

• Those "transgenders" are the biggest example of people who fake themselves. What a fucking idiot.

• I don't hate them as individuals but what they are doing with their bodies and their nature makes them retarded and anyone who supports this BS is also a retard, but I don't hate them as human beings because I simply don't know them, so I really don't hate them, if you believe it or not I don't give a fuck, you clearly can't realize the difference between hating the action and hating the person who does the action, so I really wasted a lot of time with a stoned head like you, I don't think that you are hungry anymore so I'm gonna stop feeding you little troll, so now you can shut the fuck up you nasty fag*ot.

• DUDE, THIS IS WHAT I've BEEN FUCKING SAYING TO YOU, YOU EVEN SAID IT YOURSELF, YOU HATE THE ACTION, BUT NOT THE PEOPLE

SO FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME I ASK YOU, WHY DO YOU HATE PEOPLE UNDERGOING SEX CHANGES?

MY FUCKING GOD! THAT wasn't SO FUCKING HARD WAS IT ? -_-

• Being yourself simply means being yourself. The problem is many people aren't themselves, but some sort of twisted image of what they think others want them to be.

Barely anyone is independent of these influences and a lot are strongly living by those expectations of others which is leading them on a path of self-destruction by trying to please expectations which can't be pleased.

• I would like to add...

It means you should not give a shit about what people think of you & voila!

• I am right there with you on this! The only thing I want to add to your thought is that this is what people SHOULD be aiming to do. They should be, according to your example, working out and getting fit in order to better themselves. HOWEVER, I think that some people are motivated to workout and be fit because they want to fit in and be more like the models they see in hollywood. Like I said though, you have the approach of what should be happening in people's head's, but sometimes they think about it another way

• Yes I agree with this 100% ... They should do it for themselves and their health, not to look like celebrities.

• 💯% accurate!! Good job :)

• 0|2
  • good first take

• Thank you for reading. It might be the last though.

• not you as well
      see your point studying takes priority come back ones you finished

• Not sure if I'm gonna leave or not, but if I did, I will come back after 2 months.

• More from Guys
    3