Are You Addicted to Your Phone?

So, I have to admit that I'm addicted to my phone and I need rehab. Yes, my name is Clarisa and I'm addicted to my phone. To be fair, it wasn't always like that; there was a time that I went 2 years without a phone and I was prefectly fine. But now I cannot leave my phone alone for more than 5 minutes because it makes me uneasy.

Are You Addicted to Your Phone?

Are you addicted to your phone? Here's a quick quiz to see if you are:

1. You’re at a restaurant and your dinner companion gets up to use the restroom. How long does it take you to check your phone?
a) 2 seconds
b) 10 seconds
c) 30 seconds
d) I‘m an alien and I wouldn’t check my phone

2. When you first wake up in the morning, how long are you conscious before checking your phone?
a) 2 seconds
b) 10 seconds
c) 30 seconds
d) I don’t check my phone at all

3. How do you feel about Instagramming food photos?
a) Always
b) I’m guilty of this sometimes
c) When someone posts a food photo, I’m tempted to unfollow them
d) What’s Instagram again?

4. Do you bring your phone into the bathroom with you?
a) Always
b) I’ve done it before
c) Only if there’s some kind of emergency
d) That’s disgusting, why are you asking me that?

5. When’s the last time you stopped, mid-conversation, and brandished your phone to display a photo, YouTube video or other example that “added something” to the discussion?
a) I’m actually showing this quiz to my friend, on my phone, right now
b) Earlier today
c) Sometime in the last week
d) Never. Shoving phones in people’s faces is rude

6. Can you watch an entire TV show without referring to your phone?
a) TV shows were made for live tweeting!
b) No; checking my phone while watching TV is my way of multitasking
c) Maybe, if the show is captivating enough
d) Yes! One screen is enough, thank you

7. Where is your phone when you go to sleep?
a) Tucked gently under my pillow
b) On my bedside table
c) Elsewhere in the bedroom, probably charging
d) Purposefully left in some other part of my home

BONUS QUESTION:
If you could only have ONE of the following options for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
Option A: Chocolate and Pizza
Option B: Your phone

Time to add up your score…
Give yourself

3 points for A answers

2 points for B answers

1 point for C answers

0 points for D answers

For the bonus question: If you chose option B, add 10 points.

If you got 33-23points : You are officially addicted to your phone.

If you got 22-12 points: You like your phone or might even love it.

If you got 11 or fewer points: Congratulations! You’re not all that into your phone. And, um, who are you? Can you help us???

Clarisa_ is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 20

• No. My only addiction is you, baby-gurl.

• Nope I barely even use mine actually, to review things, get up and write things down when I don't have a piece of paper that it the extent of it's usefulness.

• If you add in my laptop to the phone, shall we say for electrical social interaction I would be definitely hitting the 30 mark - I am actually thinking of changing my usage style again (I do this about 5 times a day) - I am going to go for quality rather than quantity - I will put in same amount of effort but may have tens of high quality interactions rather than hundreds of interactions - Sometimes I feel like I am machine gunning lots of them but really sit back at the end of the day and go there was 20/30 that made me think, laugh , connected with me or gave me a lump in my throat plus how I am now I think is too time consuming, So todays mission get the same enjoyment from electrical social interaction but with less variables and time commitment.

• I thinnk that is a great idea Dave

• Yes, there is a reason it's called social media. Those of us who spend 8 hours a day behind a desk would go insane without some way to exchange ideas and thoughts with humans outside of our cubicles. At least, I know I would. I admit I'm addicted to my phone but it's also saved my sanity and it's necessary for me to stay in touch with my kid and my mom and other people throughout the day.

• OK this reminds me of someone with a phone addiction in my past. Since Super Bowl Weekend was last weekend, I thought about this. I was having sex with a woman during the first quarter of the Super Bowl in year 2000. (Wow 16 years ago now.) We decided we weren't into it and instead headed off for the bedroom. Her cell phone rang once (during sex) and she ignored it. A few minutes later it rang again, and I guess she couldn't resist, and answered it. (During sex.) She quickly ended it. I think her friend wanted to know if she was "watching the game".

• iPad yes phone no

• Everyone in this generation is at some level lol

• let's see.

1. depends, but normally D. 0 points
    2. B, but it's my phone is my alarm and clock, so yeah. For anything more, it's D. let's say 1 point.
    3. C. 1 point.
    4. A. Because i have the phone in my pocket, where it belongs. And i wear my pants to the bathroom. 3 points
    5. C. Never really do it, unless it's something digital we're actually debating and seeing it is suggested. 1 point
    6. C. also depends on wether or not i'm texiting with my girl. 1 point
    7. C, or B if it's charged. Again, because it's my watch and alarm clock, so kinda need to be reasonably within reach. 2 points.

let's see. Overall i get 9 points. Yay, not addicted. not that addicted at least. I mean, i ALWAYS carry the phone on me. Just like i have my keys on me, and my wallet.

• bruh... this is a problem. i check my phone only if i get a buzz im an alien because i am more human... gotcha.

• I go nowhere without my phone :P the only time I don't check it is when I'm talking to someone, but if it vibrates I'll have a sneaky peek to see who it is :P the first thing I do in the morning is check my phone. If I go somewhere without my phone I get slightly agitated tbh :P i'm officially addicted to my phone :P

• I am not.. I do not even answer the phone when it rings unless I know the caller.. thank god for call display.. I would rather go and see the person face to face rather then talk to them on that device.. I have never even owned a cell phone.. and never wish too.. anyways that is my opinion in a nut shell

• I'm not addicted to my phone, my phone is addicted to me!

• I scored a 1 because I would take my phone into the bathroom if I was waiting for it to ring in some kind of emergency.

• My phone is dead to me, quite literally!

• I said d for all of them! Go me! Am I actually supposed to help you? My phone has ringtones so if it's important I know who it is. I lived without a phone until I was like 18. Back in the day you made plans, left notes, had your day put together before you left the house and used a pay phone if you needed to make a call!

But really most of those seem ridiculous to me. My phone is obviously in my pocket while eating so I don't get food on it. My phone has my alarm/time on it so I just shut it off or most often wake up early because I HATE alarms. I don't use Instagram or post pictures of my food unless it's a crazy amount of sushi or something. I don't post anything to Facebook much. My phone has never been in the bathroom except in my pocket at work. Even then I often leave it behind. I don't wanna touch it while touching any surface in a bathroom. I only show people shit on my phone as the point of conversation, not to stop and explain something better. I can't think of a time I've actually done it in the last 6 months though, shown anyone anything on my phone in conversation. I like descriptives, because I admittedly am not naturally gifted with them. I'm pausing between episodes of always sunny to write this! Right now! Between episodes! Barely dodged that one. My phone is left in my living room when I sleep or I will turn it off in my sleep or shout "hey Siri be quiet!" I would definitely give up my phone before pizza, chocolate, green vegetables, clean air, earth television, video games, beer, definitely weed. I'd still want a computer and methods of communication to be available though. I could deal without a cell phone though.

• I absolutely despise phones. The sound of them ringing is like a nail being hammered through my head. I even had texting turned off on my cell phones. I got 12 points, 10 of which were for the bonus question, as they are a necessary evil to me. And one of those points should not count as I do not use cell phones at home. I have 2 VOIP lines that I use at home, one for personal, one for business. I use them as infrequently as possible. I much prefer communicating in person or by email on a real computer.

• I'm not, but I know a lot of people who are - practically just about everyone.

• yes, sadly xD

• Why are people so addicted? I only need my phone pretty much for emergencies and the occasional contact with family and friends - keyword: occasional. People treat their smartphones like water or oxygen. It's crazy!

• 1. C. (Sometimes I check it, sometimes I just look around the restaurant and dont check it at all)
    2. D. (It takes me more like 5 minutes. For 5 minutes I just sit there and think, not motivated enough to do anything else xD)
    3. C. (I don't have instagram)
    4. A. (It is in my pocket. I tend to bring my pants with me to the bathroom lol)
    5. C. (Showed a song I was working on to a friend via my phone)
    6. C. (I only check my phone on occasion. Usually I just watch TV. Especially if it is stuff with subtitles, since looking away means you miss part of the show.)
    7. B. (My charger is on my desk next to my bed)

Scored: 9.
    I guess I'm not all that into my phone though I do use it quite a bit still. Modern tech is very useful lol

• Got 20 points.

But who cares? What's wrong with seeing the utility in my phone?

• Hello G@G, my name is Squidward and I am *sobs* addicted to gifs!
    media.giphy.com/media/6XHWT7J5mAda0/giphy.gif
    and also my phone...
    media.giphy.com/media/ss2N9oI7B1U2Y/giphy.gif
    damn are people seriously gonna vote for Trump?

• Laptop - no, phone - no... combine both = "FUCK I'M ADDICTED" :'(
    But hey, I can go without both for a month. No biggie. I can control my time on both.

• that's goo! teach me how lol xD

• Move to a developing country and you'll be addiction free because of power cuts and slow internet.

Jokes apart, when you realise that cellphone addiction is ruining your life then you'll automatically reduce it. True story.

What Girls Said 10

• Nope. xD

• I'm completely addicted. It's a problem, but between social media, texting, and emails, I feel like I'm missing important things if I don't have my phone in my hands at all times! EEK

• LMAO hahahaaha I got 3 points in the bonus question. Call if you need help.

• lol i got 24 right above and into the addicted section

• I will just say yes without taking the quiz.

• I'm a single working parent, plus I have an elderly mom, so yeah my phone goes everywhere I go. Even the bathroom.

• Too lazy to count up my score

• Nah Im not addicted to my phone, if anything I really hate texts, it takes so much effort to type on it. I love how it looks, its cute and everything but the social media is annoying most of the time and the people I used to talk to dont speak much to me anymore because we've split up and times changed... I only really need my phone if Im in school or work and my mom or sister try to contact me, otherwise I could live without it.

• I scored 12

• Not the right way to go about this quiz. I'd get high scores, for the most part, but I'm not in the least "addicted" to my phone -- I'm just an #adhdgirl who's an inveterate multitasker and who keeps in touch with most friends & business contacts by text/e-mail.

The right way to do this, would be to make questions about being WITHOUT yr phone.

If yr phone runs out of batts, can you deal?

Can you take a vacation where there's no service?

If yr phone use IS ACTUALLY BOTHERING someone (date, family, etc) can you rein it in?

Etc.

• I think that's a great idea! thanks for answering!

• Hah no problem. (:

I mean, it's also dangerous to get too simplistic with this issue.

Here's what I mean: I've also seen quizzes that are like, "Do you pay enough attention to people?"
      And most of them are about shit like making eye contact, not doing other things at the same time, etc.

The problem is that there are people like me -- lots and lots and lots of people like me, especially in this younger generation that's grown up with shiny things! and text alerts! and sound bites! and all that stuff.
      I am most extreme #adhdgirl, but, I literally CANNOT pay attention in a conversation unless I'm also doing something else. Whether that's flipping through a book, or glancing at a phone, or having the other side of the conversation at the same time (like birds breathe in and out at the same time lol). If I'm staring you right in the eyes and doing nothing else, I can guarantee you I'm not processing a damn word yr saying. LOL
      That quiz should be about things like (cont'd)

• like "Do you remember what the person said?" or "Could you summarize this person's priorities/values, from that conversation?" etc.

I mean, if you made this quiz for people MY age -- most of whom are NOT good at carrying on 992,587,612 conversations/reading threads/other text-based things at the same time -- then it might make sense. But, honestly, I think most people just really, really underestimate the ability of younger people to multi-task in that sort of way.

I mean, I know that my 12-year-old can be "absent-mindedly" messing around on his phone and still DAMN well hear every word I say about him, 2 rooms away, through 2 closed doors. LOL I know that, for sure, girl.