23 Struggles Only (Naturally) Skinny People Understand

Now first and foremost, I understand that skinny shaming and not liking being skinny isn't addressed as much. It may seem as not as bad. But it happens and I personally am against body shaming and the type I have been a victim of is skinny shaming. But we all are different, with different hereditary backgrounds and metabolisms. We all have flaws. And flaws build character. Remember that.

1. You never seem to find a pair of jeans that fit your tiny waist and at the same time aren't baggy on your legs.

2. When people buy you clothes as a gift, they underestimate your small size and get you something that is too tight on you.

3. You can almost never wear that favorite clothing item your sibling stretched out for you by wearing it themselves.

4. For skinny girls, you often get told you aren't sexy because you have little to no curves. For men, you sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a lot more muscular and less bony.

5. You often get called a stick or a twig.

6. People often joke about your small you are and you laugh like it doesn't hurt your feelings.

7. You are are a fat person with the exception of not being fat.

8. People are always trying to force more food into you with the hopes of putting more meat on you but it tends to never work.

9. You sometimes wonder how fat you would be if you didn't have a fat metabolism.

10. People find it hard to believe when you say you love food, and give you that "do you really?" look.

11. When being served, you are almost always asked if you will be able to finish your plate and even when you say you know you can, you are still looked at doubtfully. And if you ask for more, let's just say you surprise the **** out of people.

12. People worry if you ever truly eat. God forbid you ever say aren't hungry!!

13. You never realize how skinny you are until you look at a picture of yourself.

14. For skinny girls, you never realize how flat and small your tush is until you check yourself out in the mirror.... Or worse, someone comments on it. For skinny dudes, you never realize how thin and frail you are until you look in the mirror or even worse... someone comments.

15. You suck at arm wrestling and its not due to your lack of effort to build upper body strength but because of the size and bulk of your tiny little arms in comparison to your bigger opponent.

16. The awkwardness when friends discuss their wieght loss plans and how fat they are.

17. People sometimes think you like to diet and lose wieght and may frown upon you because of it when really it is the exact opposite.

18. You sometimes wonder if your crush would ever feel disgusted at what's underneath your clothes.

19. People worry about you working out too hard and say you don't need it when you just want to gain more muscle and perhaps (like me) you simply love exercising and how good it feels, eveen the pain.

20. Every time you gain weight you lose it quickly.

21. People don't understand how can you be so small.

22. Your strength is underestimated at times.

23. You check the scale often in hopes of gaining weight but you are always relatively the same weight.

24. Your lean, small legs make your feet look huge.

25. If you have a not so thin face, your small frame makes your face look a bit chubby for your size.

Embrace it why don't you. Embrace it all. After all if we were all the same, what boring world we would live in. Besides, flaws build character and be darn glad you can eat whatever you want and manage to not relatively gain weight.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 25

• I am skinny and don't really gain weight, I have to eat and drink a lot just to function :P. I have come cross some of these things but I don't really see these "problems" as a big deal. For me at least it hasn't been bad. A lot of these are more skinny girl problems than skinny people problems.
    I do have some things that are more or less annoying:
    My wrists are kinda frail it sucks. That's the thing that bothers me the most atm. I also twisted my ankles a bunch when I was younger but I haven't had probems lately.
    My torso is not wide and even though my shoulders are decently wide compared to my torso overall I'm quite slim. It doesn't really bother me but sometimes I think it would be cool to be more bulky.
    I do actually gain muscle when I work out, do sports or just do physical labor so that's not a problem.
    Everybody who knows me knows that I eat a ton so that's not really a issue either. Mostly people like when you eat a lot of their food. I have to spend more money on food than other people I guess that sucks but it's not a big difference.

• Great my take. I'm always getting food shoved at me especially when I just ate before hanging out. My friends can't tell my strength because of how skinny I am and they never knew that I had been working out until I lived the heaviest person in the group up. People often forget how hard it is being skinny with out the ability to gain weight even when we try to.

• Well you sure showed them. Keep it up! Skinny doesn't always mean weak. We all are different.

• At least you don't have diabetic and heart disease risks (that much)

• True true. And its not like being skinny automatically makes you a stick. I should have axded that a lot of times its because skinny people wear clothes the wrong way, giving the illusion of not having curves. Being skinny or fat doesn't really change your shape on its own, its more of what your measurements are and what is wide and isn't.

• Exactly. Clothing matters a lot.

• vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest
    In my culture the fatter you are the better. I always got shamed and people tried to force loads of food on me.

And cloths never seem to fit right. Gaining weight is so difficult but at least now I work out so I look good, better than before.

• I feel you! And hey at least you are getting healthier. We all are different. I for one have recently sprouted out a bit as I have been trying to get in shape. I may never have that perfect, thick body but we gotta work with what we have.

• Don't I know it lol

• 6' 2, 135lbs atm. 26" waist, size 7-8 shoes, I think I look plain silly ๐Ÿ˜‚ My hand is very nearly as long as my foot... Though that has nothing to do with being skinny. Still hitting the gym right now, and I can relate to almost all the above points (though I have finally left the realm of skinny fat and am entering the land of "fit" skinny)

• I like this mytake, you describe my life to a T! Real struggles!

I enjoyed the part where you order a lot of food and surprise everyone you ate it all. I had that happen when I was out to eat and the waitress gave me dessert for free she says huge men come in and never finish this and here I am really thin and polished it off. ๐Ÿ˜„

• I had skinny arms growing up (was scrawny all around in general) but man could I arm wrestle with the best of them... skinny man strength surprises most people.

But now I just eat, eat, and eat some more- no issues with weight. Skinny people except of the most extreme caliber really don't have any problem aside from not eating enough.

• Well, I like skinny girls... better skinny than fat (for everyone, not only girls).

• As a natural skinny person who can loose weight without trying and struggles to gain or even maintain his weight I really can't relate to this. Only a handful of those ring true for me. The rest I've never encountered.

• The girl illustrating problem 14 will do JUST fine if she faces front! lol!

• Totally! I didn't add these pictures. An editor did. Wish they could have edited the typos too though

• Hahaha! That's too bad, because I would have asked you who she is! lol!

• Skinny chicks assessment still loom good in my book ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘Œ great take! You shoukd write more!

• Good take, having good genetics is really beneficial tho. I'm naturally really skinny and eat carbs like you guys wouldn't believe to grow, and 3,000-4,000 calories a day.

• Not an ecto but I eat mad carbs too lol.

• I love cottage cheese as I do my meat :) Never could be a vegetarian even if I tried

• I am Daniel. And I embrace this post. I Mean Approve! Being skinny has its perks. I enjoy it every day. And I go to the gym and work out! Get at me bruh!

• I'm a naturally thin person, I eat what ever I want and I have never gained any weight, I eat donuts and ice cream all I want because it doesn't make me fat. It's the only good thing about being naturally thin.

• more difficult to gain weight than it is to lose

• it really is..

• That's debatable and it depends on your body type. I needtwo weeks of intense exerciseand a very hard time giving diet to lose 1 kg, while I only need to take a not on diet lunch to gain it.

• Great Take, I know how you feel, I was skinny most of my life, but now I'm just average... most people were surprised when they found out that I'm a vegetarian - in fact, I've gained some weight when I became vegetarian, about 16 years ago.

• that's pretty weird. how old were you?

• Actually, fruits and vegetables have more vitamins than any other food. As for the carbs, you should balance them, and drink lots of water, it's not very healthy to overdose on carbs.

• Umm I know that they do contain more vitamins than any other food. I know about nutrition. And I k ow about drinking more water. In fact I feel better than ever and been experiencing that runner's high after a good run. Part of it is because I am in a lot better shape than I used to be but I think its also the fact I am eating more fruit and veggies. But yes I have been told that this high only gets more intense the more in shape you get :)

• just curious on your first point, isn't a belt an option?

• Yes, but the leg area will be a size too big and baggy and won't look right. Mabye guys can get away with that but girls jeans don't usually.

• @thewanderingme legging give room for flexibility but so do baggy pants. In fact my favorite thing to wear comfort wise is sweats or yoga pants. But tbh I dunno if you can relate but I have some jeans that fit my waist and are too tight on my thighs... Its not comfortable at all haha. But ya leggings are a great option. They can be cuter too with all those colorful ones you can get

• asker, isn't that what hip hugger type jeans are for? try so of those.

• My take on this... Is that, and this is based on personal experience, People shame over weight/fat people way more than skinny people. I am an over weight guy. And it happens to me on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong i am against body shaming period. it doesn't help at all.

• I never said it was done more often but people act like it is okay to skinny shame simply because we don't have it any harder and whatnot. I mean we are in an age where we now see thick is all the rage

• Sorry I just get irritated when it sounds like someone is saying that fat shaming is more hurtful than skinny shaming. I mean I wouldn't know because I never have been over wieght. All I know is that in my age group where I live, fat shaming doesn't seem to happen as much though I am sure it exists and is always not something that should be done. A bunch of fat people I know have no trouble with any of our peers yet people are always quick to mention how someone looks so skinny. But... Nor would I say which gets shamed more because I have no clue really... But yeah my bad.

• Add it's all good. Body shaming of any kind is not cool. Weather is fat shaming or skinny shaming or bald shaming or any other kind of shaming. With me trying to lose weight things like fat shaming actually bother me, more because I'm really working hard to get rid of it. That having been said if it weren't for my wife. I think I would backslide she's been a big inspiration me, she helps a lot.

• Give it time, naturally skinny people. Past 30, or 40 if you are lucky, you will have to start watching what you eat and consciously exercising more.

• I exercise 5 days a week for 40 minutes... But nothing extremely vigorous. For the whole time at least. So will I have to do more than that later on? And I am not so concerned with being too skinny but rather as in not being a female with curves that make her a woman. I mean I obviously dont have nothing but I am nothing special to look at, thats for sure. And I am not underweight. For my height, I have a decent weight which is 114 pounds right now and I have about a 21 or 22% fat percentage (I forget the exact number from the doctor's)

• this take is a bit silly.

skinny is not quite the ideal shape - curvature with some slight muscle tone is. however you are ten times hotter than large women and this is how both genders will view you.

• I just can't help being skinny. I lift, run, and do all kinds of home workouts and play sports and boy do I love it all!!! Especially runners high (like when I ran a mile yesterday :)) and try to maintain an average of around 1,850-1,980 calories which is what I need for my height, age, and activity level but I am still skinny.

• My phone is slow on notifying me on websites such as this I mean. I often have to refresh it. But thank you for your support and kindness. Glad we had a decent conversation about this whole thing instead of bickering pathetically online. I would have been like "hey I know what I say is true but I understand where you are coming from but jeez chill". I appreciate you not losing your cool because someone opposes you on here. I admire that.

• lol no worries dale carnegie is good for that :)

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 34

• Omg, yes. All of this is the story of my life. Lol Great take. The ones in particular that I have personal experience with are 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 23, 25.

#6 especially is one that is common. People assume that just because someone is small, they *must* be body-confident so it's okay to poke fun at their size. That's not cool.

• I am just average. I used to have a tendency to overeat and consume junk food, but now I decide, for the sake of my own future health, that I should mindfully consume every meal and eat more fresh fruits and veggies. In college, I reached 180 pounds. It was only after college when I began to make healthier lifestyle changes. Now, I am 167 pounds. I should be 159 pounds, at maximum, but I plan to go a bit further and make my final goal to be 150 pounds. I am ethnically Chinese, which helps a lot, because my mother always makes traditional Chinese dishes, which are loaded with vegetables and have sparing meat.

• Thank you for this. I am naturally skinny and I hate it. I eat anywhere from 3-6 meals a day and still find it very difficult to gain weight. I can't even tell you how many times people have told me "eat a hamburger". I've had people laugh at me all the while calling me "skinny bitch". The only two guys I have ever mustered up the courage to ask out both turned me down for being "too skinny". Skinny-shaming is a real thing !

• 18 May be my biggest issue. What's worse is that it's no longer my crush, but my boyfriend. He's also naturally skinny, and like me insecure about it, but we swim and I've seen his chest, it looks fairly normal. With me you can see my ribs and my hip bones poke out, and my shoulders and collarbone are really pronounced so I have a lot of trouble with wondering what people think of my body. I'm that kid that gets asked by concerned friends "are you eating enough?" "Are you starving yourself?" But no, I eat a lot because I want to put weight on and it doesn't work.

On the plus side, I once pinned a girl who commented "real men like curves, only dogs go for bones" to the wall, and threatened to punch her if she ever refered to my boyfriend as a dog again. ๐Ÿ˜†

• I feel you. I go through the same thing but thankfully I am starting to sprout out. You are 15 so I am defintely sure you will be sprouting out within the next few years. Everyone grows different you know? Plus weight has nothing to do with shape. I am onyl a few pounds bigger than when I was 14 and yet my shape is starting to get how I want it to be. I may not have the greatest bod but you know you work with what you got?

• Yeah. Gotta work with the cards you were dealt, not the cards you wish you were dealt with.

• Hey so I love this post and until i was 14 i thought my body was ok and then my science teacher made a joke saying that if i punched someone then they would have to go to the hospital and be treated for 3rd degree stab wounds. So yeah im glad im not alone in the world laughing on the out-side and crying on the inside.

• This is so on the mark!

I am 5'2" tall, 104lbs (i range from 93lbs to 113lbs when i didn't know i was prego), 32B (small) bra, 24 waist, 34 hips. Big feet, skinny legs, no butt.

I am half filipina and of all the women in my family. i am the only one that is super skinny. All the other women, mom, sis, cousins, aunties, grandmas, all of them are chubby or fat.

I try to eat right and as much as my boyfriend can get me to choke down, but i just dont gain weight or muscles.

Except for my current boyfriend (i am jinxing myself by saying this), every guy i have dated ends up dumping me over a girl with more weight, bigger boobs, shapelier tush, etc.

I have almost no butt, and like one of the pics here, my tummy is sunken and my hipbones stick out.

Thanks for this My take coz i feel it is right on!

• I am so sorry to hear that! So done with all these fuckboys

• @wxyc423 it is muscle! I just had a mile test and I beat my score by 58 seconds from April. So yes it is different and it feels good.

• I understand though why you think itd be a big difference. I just realized one of my friends is 116 (only two pounds more then me) at my height ywt she looks heavier. Everyone is different... We also have to keep in my mind our own bone structure. I look the same, just with more muscle definition and my hips and bottom are couple inches bigger. Pther than that I am the same size with smaller boobs because I lost fat

• These are problems I will never know lol

• I am naturally skinny myself and gaining weight is a hit or miss for me. I've had people tell me omg you are so lucky to be skinny, I am like you have no idea and people don't understand how hard it is for me to gain weight. I've had girls be jealous of me for no reason I can't help it that I am thin. But I do think that my fast metabolism has something to do with how I was born because I was born prematurely. I have been thinking about taking pills and trying to gain weight that way but I am still contemplating on it. I can relate to this take a lot, the struggle is real though. I used to have a big appetite but I don't anymore. I eat everything in the house but I never tend to gain anything. Losing weight isn't the problem for me like it may be for some people, the problem for me is gaining weight its like a hit or miss. I hoping and praying that as I get older that my metabolism will slow down a bit and that I can gain a bit of weight. People tell me you just have to eat, like eat a hamburger or cornbread and I try to tell people it doesn't work like that for me, especially the way my body is built. I used to get bullied a lot when I was younger in elementary because I was skinny. I am not that skinny anymore like I used to be but I'd like to put on a bit more pounds.

• I don't see the problem. Skinny is the current "ideal" female body type today. Most super models are skinny, most actresses are skinny, and most singers are skinny. I've always been a chubby girl so maybe I just don't get it. All my siblings are naturally thin, but I turned out differently. I would give up all my "curves" for a flat stomach. Before I transferred schools my two closest friends were naturally thin and I always felt like a whale around them. How is having the desired body type a problem? I don't see how being told that you should eat more is a problem. Do you know how many times I've been told to eat less, that I need to work out, that my body was ugly. My own parents used to order for me at restaraunts because they didn't want me to gain more weight. It was always water and a salad. My stepdad once dropped me off at one end of trail in a park and then drove to the other end and made me run all the way to the other side and then said I didn't get their fast enough and then made me run up and down a hill repeatedly. How is being skinny a flaw?

• Its a flaw because a lot of skinny people are considered non sexy because a lot of them lack curves. Aleays exceptions and many skinny people are curvy. But I am talking about the lot of skinny girls that have little to no curves.

• Oh girl do I squat! I just saw this and actually I have been working out and getting in shape for the past 6 months. I lift (up to 10 pounds now), I do push ups (went from 0 to 24), I run (mainly sprint because it requires butt muscle compared to just jogging), I do lunges, and I squat amongst other exercises. I like to mix it all up. When I squat I like to use wieghts or even the kind that you squat down and pick up a 10 pounder and straighten up and then drop down into a squat and repeat. I also recently tried some butt lifing exercises that you do on all fours a couple weeks ago...

• I really am trying. I went from only doing a mile in 8:59 to now doing one in 8:15 after not running in 6 months because I now live in a snowy winter place and we dont run outside when its below 65 degrees. A lot of things I started out doing would get me very out of breathe but now I am in great shape. My petite self is still skinny though.

• If you beat 2000 a day and don't gain weight then eat 2,500. You'll out on a pound a week. If you really want to gain weight you can mistreat more. Sound more like you don't like the treatment you get by being thin. Which I can understand. But if you really want weight gain you accomplish it. It's not like you have cystic fibrosis or wasting disease. If you ate 3,000 calories a day you'd gain weight.

The pictures you showed are n it skinny. They all look very normal. So if you look like that you're fine.

• 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 17, 20, 22 and 24 ๐Ÿ˜“

Nice mytake by the way

• Problems I can't even dream of having lmao

• I've been skinny shamed too. it used to make me very self conscious about showing too much skin when I was younger. I'd like a little more fat but still love my body now anyway! (:

1 isn't an issue these days. jeans have been being made tighter and tighter. now finding a pair that's also made for tall women can be a major pain in the ass.

4 curves are about shape, not weight. I'm skinny but have c cup breast and an awesome hourglass waist. I'm skinny AND curvy.

5 true. and I hate it, very annoying. :/

7 huh? no.

10 ugh! very annoying as well

14 again you seem to be under the impression that all skinny females are shaped exactly the same. we're not.

16 ha ha ha

18 I used to be self conscious about whether or not guys would be turned of by my breast while naked, but never anything else. it seems that's common among most females though, no matter their size.

20 yea :/

22 no, I'm a weakling. lol

23 never.

..26 this is a very long list of things.. lol

• I know you can be curvy and skinny. I am haha. I have C cups and hips 10 inches bigger than my waist... But guess what I still get skinny shamed. I don't get all of these but I wanted to relate to all kinds of skinny people.

• yea, we should all be able to edit posts. not being able to is really stupid.

• Remember that you can always preview and edit your Take as many times as you want before submitting. People are just way too quick to hit that submit button, it seems.

And Editors can edit their own Takes, by the way. But of course, you have to earn that tag by producing stuff that doesn't have to be heavily edited... makes sense, right? ;)

• The girl in the second picture isn't skinny though?

And well, as someone who actually has to work to be as skinny as I am and always struggled with an eating disorder thanks to ridiculous insecurities, I have to admit I always envied people who were gifted with a fast metabolism!
    Man, it would have saved me so much pain..

• Yes I can relate to all of these! People always talk about how bad fat shaming but they never realize the effect of what skinny shaming has on people too. This is beautifully written, you should make more articles.

• Thank you so much!! And yes exactly! Being fat isn't the only thing that gets "body shamed. Skinny people get body shamed too. I am not saying one is necessarily worse than the other because it depends on one's own individual case.

• @girlsaskguys is there any way you guys can edit this for me? Not just regular typos but I caught a few things I said wrong completely through my tiredness.

• Thumbs up.

• Okay so i get that you can be bullied for being skinny and how hard that must be. But itleast if your too skinny it doesn't feel like your trapped in a body that you want out of. I am naturally have a lean tall hourglass shaped body with muscle. But i think i would honestly rather have the feeling of "oh my jeans are too big" rather than the feeling i get when " oh damn it my jeans are too tight, I can't wear these today" (i usely burn off andy extra fat by the end of the week, i play soccor 4 out of 7 days a week ) When i was sad or angry or upset instead of turning away from food. I turned to food to make me feel better, it didn't it instead made me feel guilty and embarrassed of my self and my body. I am totally not trying to sound rude here but it kinda hurts me little that your complaining about not being able to gain weight when many (including my self) struggle with it. To be honest I've always been secretly jealous out all of my skinny small friends because they don't have to go through what I do. Have a nice day (sorry this was incredibly long)

• #26 people wrap their fingers around ur wrist and jiggle it around talking about how small it is

• I can't and probably won't ever relate to any of this. And let it be known that if I had to choose between fat and skinny, I'd choose skinny. Every single time.

• Say whatever you want, skinny people are always more favored in this world than fat ones. Your problems seem like first world problems to me.

• More from Girls
    14