Okay, We Need to Stop Telling Women They Wear Too Much Makeup

Why Society Needs To Stop Telling Women They Wear Too Much Makeup

Let’s just get one thing out of the way: I have nothing against women who choose not to wear makeup.

What’s included in your “getting ready routine” is your business.

Pick up a mascara wand, or don’t pick up a mascara wand; I have no judgment either way.

With that said, there seems to be an awful lot of advice for women when it comes to what we “should” or “shouldn’t” be doing to our faces.

The Internet likes to celebrate those ladies who choose to rock the bare skin look, as though they deserve a medal just for abstaining from foundation. We applaud these women as though they have turned down hard drugs instead of concealer.

But there’s a fine line between empowerment and condescension when it comes to this topic. On one hand, it’s important to support the positive self-esteem of women. We should all do our part to help young females empower themselves.

Amy Schumer’s “Girl, You Don’t Need Makeup” video comes to mind, as it’s intended to be a positive message to help boost young girls’ body image.

But, there is a problem here. And that problem is a tiny word: need.

There’s an assumption women who choose to wear makeup do so because they have poor self-images; any woman who wears makeup “needs” to in order to feel beautiful. But, what about the women who simply want to wear makeup? To take this one step further, can we put a moratorium on the “men prefer women who wear less makeup” angle?

Ladies, we should be wearing makeup for ourselves, not for the guys. Let’s drop this argument and start striving toward our own satisfaction when looking in the mirror. I rock my red lipstick not out of poor self-image but because I simply like it. My bathroom shelves are filled with tubes and brushes, but that doesn’t mean I’m insecure.

I'm not insecure. I'm not hiding behind my mascara, concealer, fake eyelashes or lipstick. I'm brave enough to challenge the notion that it's acceptable for people to criticize the amount of lip gloss I CHOOSE TO WEAR!!!

The problem is that wearing makeup, just like shaving your body hair or straightening your curls or picking out your clothes for the day, is a choice. It’s a personal choice, and no one should tell you otherwise.

Some people use makeup because they feel insecure about how they look. And you know what? That’s okay too. Doing things that make you feel more confident are okay, at least as long as you’re not harming yourself or putting your health at risk.

Let’s start celebrating our various lifestyle choices rather than shaming one another for being different.

We are more than our morning rituals, and the women who are ready to walk out the door with bare faces are just as strong and respectable as those who get up a little earlier to apply their BB cream.

The woman in your office whose skin is devoid of foundation could be just as self-assured as the woman who sports a cat eye.

We can’t be so ignorant as to believe we can determine a woman’s confidence level based upon the colors of her eyelids.

Ultimately, it’s clear we don’t “need” makeup. But some of us choose it anyway, and that is nothing to apologize for.

2841
sparkly-crystal is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some women do wear too much makeup. It's not a shaming issue or "sexism" or a kick to women's vajayjay. It's just a fact. Some females look better with less make up or none.

Sometimes people say guys wear too much cologne, or have too much hair. You don't see us getting upset about it.

• @cipher42 You sound very jaded, angry at men and extremely one sided and close minded.

• @cipher42 Also when you talk about women don't wear make up for men... uh ya, ya kind of do. It's fpr yourself and men. It's hilarious that you said that. Clearly in jaded denial.
      It's called "packaged presentation". This is factual. Sorry if you disagree, irrelevant none-the-less.
      I'm sure you'll fire back with something one sided trying to one up me or say how I'm wrong and you're right.. or something like it... because that's what people with your mentality do.

Most Helpful Girl

• People are allowed to voice their dislike for makeup and the women who wear it, especially men. You may say women don't wear makeup for men which is fine but the men who don't like makeup shouldn't be forced to date women who wear it. They're allowed to voice their distaste for makeup just as much as you're allowed to voice your liking for it. Makeup is all smoke and mirrors. I don't understand why women claim to feel confident when wearing it. You're altering your appearance. You might not have depressingly low self esteem, but you still don't like something about yourself and would prefer to change it than love it. Plus women who wear a lot of makeup look like trannys. That's why the lady boys can so easily fool people is because women don't even look like women anymore.

• I never said men should be forced to date women who wear copious amount of makeup. I just don't need other people's unsolicited advice on much makeup I should or shouldn't wear.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 40

• It's your choice to wear makeup.

Just the same, it's their choice to tell you their opinion.

If you're going to talk about choice, don't make it a one way street and just have it apply to you, and NO ONE else.

People are free to do and think what they want about each other, and you're free to either listen or ignore them.

• The thing is, it's pretty damn rude to give someone unsolicited advice about their appearance, especially if the comment is negative. It's not a "two way street", because one choice is about personal preference and doesn't involve anyone else, and one is about being rude to someone because you're somehow under the impression that they give a shit about your opinion. Yeah, you're free to be an asshole, but it still makes you an asshole.

• Good. Stand your ground. They're free to give their opinion but you're free to ignore the hell out of it.

• They are free to be an asshole.

• My question to OP and women in general - am I wrong for:
    1) Not minding and not pointing out that a woman in public is wearing too much makeup?
    2) Not openly shaming or ridiculing makeup wearing women?
    3) BUT also seeing them as fake and unsuitable (for me) partners and not worth trying to be in a relationship with?

By all means choose to wear a lot of makeup but the same way I can choose to not consider you as a suitable partner. Now I know me finding you undateable is and should be of no concern for you, you're free to do what you want afterall and all the power to you, I was just putting my reaction to all of this out there. I have a preference for no makeup.

• So basically we aren't allowed to voice our opinions anymore, unless we are telling you what you want to hear. Anyone that actually cares about you, isn't going to keep their mouths shut when they think you could benefit from their advice. Makeup is no exception. Anyone that only surrounds themselves with people that never tell them they are wrong, is going to end up a really lame person.

• Unsolicited advice is like somebody singing out of tune. Nobody wants to hear it.

• A lot of people want, and respect unsolicited advice. Otherwise we might never know how we can improve.

• I disagree, many times women who wear too much make up aren't applying it properly, and they ARE hiding their insecurities. It may be nice to think it isn't true, but the truth shines through your foundation and caked on crap on your face. I like makeup for expression, EVEN a considerable amount of makeup done artistically, but there certainly is a right way and a wrong way, and like ANY art, the public is free to criticize in anyway they want.

• Makeup is great, too much makeup makes anyone look like a hooker.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...9ad1a53bf5.jpg

• Makeup is hot

• It's not some edict that you need to fight. You're entitle to the choice of wearing makeup, men are entitled to have an opinion on it and they're entitle to prefer less. Again, it's not an edict, they're not forcing you to do it. When you say "It’s a personal choice, and no one should tell you otherwise" actually of course people *can* tell you otherwise, what you mean to say is that you shouldn't listen and that's a big difference. It's true you don't need to apologize and guess what, no one is asking you to. Furthermore, I don't need to apologize for preferring less makeup. So maybe you need to stop telling me I can't say that's too much makeup, hmm?

• If you were walking around with your zipper down, would you want someone to inform you of that fact? Or, would you prefer to walk around like that?
    Same applies to women who wear too much make up.

I've had people tell me that my cologne is too strong, etc. I've always appreciated the constructive criticism.

• Generally when you walk around with your zipper down, it's unintentional. You have no way of knowing that about makeup. What constitutes "too much makeup" varies from person to person, so maybe you think the woman's wearing too much, but actually it's exactly the way she prefers it. Unless you have some pretty in depth experience with makeup and actually know that she's doing something wrong, just don't comment. Easy as that.

• I think the issue is that we're talking about slightly different situations here. This take, as far as I can tell, isn't about women doing their makeup "wrong" or messing something up or whatever. It's more about the way that a lot of guys don't seem to like the appearance of a good deal of very visible makeup, and criticize that. Like, there's nothing actually wrong with the makeup, and often it's incredibly well done, but they criticize it because it doesn't fit their specific aesthetic. And that's kinda shitty honestly.

• @cipher42 Ah, I see where things got confusing. You're looking at the matter at a deeper level than I am. Personally, I will always tell someone if something about them looks "off." I certainly would never do so to hurt them, and my friends, family, and past SOs understood that about me. I'm a tad blunt, but that's who I am.

• I'm sorry. If she is wearing too much I will speak up, not because of any insecurity, it's because it grosses me out. Thankfully my wife wears very little. Contrary to what some people believe men are entitled to their opinion as well. I personally can't stand when a person pits it on so thick that it looks like a mask waiting to come off.

• It's not really how much in 90% of cases, it's how well it's put on to hide the fact it's there. I've seen a pro makeup artist at work before and they could paint a Da Vinci on there, but you'd never know.

Whether we can tell girls to learn how to do it properly is up for debate lol.

• Naa, im gonna continue telling it as I see it.

• Then stop asking guys "How do I look?". If you don't want our opinion on if you're wearing too much make-up then stay out of the "How do I look?" section.
    This site is all about girls asking for guys opinions, but you're telling us to stop telling you our opinion. Wtf?

• People tend to like it either because they have low self-esteem and think it makes them look more attractive or because they think it's an artistic means of self-expression.

The first type needs the encouraging discouragement, the second type does not. I don't like makeup though so I'll be saying that makeup is too much makeup.

• Personally, I suspect that makeup is female intrasexual competition. It has nothing to do with men, but more to do with what females think will fool men into thinking they are fertile and young, and they compete with each other in this arena.

I say let 'em wear it, and don't say shit. If they ever ask you anything about how you think they look, tell the God's honest absolute truth.

• Nice mytake but if a girl/woman wears in my opion too much makeup then I think i should be able to say so

• There is such thing as too much makeup, just like there's too much cologne/perfume, and too much hair gel. It's all a matter of preference and a lot of men prefer little to no makeup on their women, that's just the way it is. There are men who are unbothered by it. But it's just like a women saying a guy doesn't have enough body hair just because he chooses to shave and him getting upset.

• I mean do what you want as long as you're not hurting anyone else.
    But real quick..."makeup" .. look at the word.. you're making up for lack of something.
    Don't get me wrong, too much is a turn off in a sense. I don't want to go out with one woman, come home to another. Feel me?

• less is more.

• I am way too honest to hold back something like this.

If an otherwise beautiful girl looks like an ugly fetish model because she decided to drench her face and destroy her skin with makeup, that's obviously her choice. But there's also no inherent reason why I should not comment on it.

• By that same logic, there is no inherent reason why you should comment on it. What good is it going to do by telling her something that she already knew?

• @xXVoicesXx For the same reason it is useful to listen to criticism otherwise. Humans are really terrible at judging their own actions and taste. I do no get offended if somebody tells me my beard is too long or I should cut my hair or this or that haircut would look good on me... Because I respect people's opinions and if they want to share them I have nothing against it.

• So are we talking "too much make-up" or just plain "make-up"?

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 27

• I didn't read the post just the title but I totally disagree...

We should not stop telling women they wear too much makeup. Some women DO WEAR TOOOOOO MUCH MAKEUP and it looks ugly AF. What they do to their face, they are entitle to it just as WHAT comes out of our mouth, we are entitled to it.

NO FULLY SECURE WOMAN feels the need to wear that much makeup... SORRY BUT ITS TRUTH and if the truth hurts, SO BE IT.

All these excuses and bullshit about "it is a creative outlet" is just a bunch of BULL... If it really were, then you'd pick up drawing and painting and NOT PAINTING YOUR FACE TO MAKE YOURSELF MORE BEAUTIFUL AND enhance your features!

At the end of the day, there is ONLY one reason women wear makeup: TO FEEL MORE BEAUTIFUL/EMPOWERED/BETTER about themselves...

Take that make up offfff and you will see them (ESPECIALLY THOSE THAN WEAR THE GALLON), start to feel completely uncomfortable and insecure! Sooooo you can say and argue all you want that Women who wear makeup aren't insecure, the facts show otherwise.

I have nothing against wearing makeup, heck! I usedddd to be a rather fan of it myself... But when I moved to a country where women barely wore any and were appreciated for being beautiful on their own and then I realized how 'beautiful' one can actually be without makeup, i minimized it to the extreme.

It is TRUE... I don't want someone to see me and think: "Wow, look how stunningly beautiful you are", but then look at me without makeup and think: "Wow, who the fuck is this person and what has happened to that person I MET>?"

I'd rather you meet me and SEE WHO I REALLY AM and HOW I REALLY LOOK and then impress you when I look EXTREMELY beautiful, than lie to you about how I really look to then see how I truly look... That's false advertisement.. It's like buying a 'gold painted chain' made out of straw than actually gold.

So girls can try and FOOL THEMSELVES all they want, but men and we all know the truth... You are just insecure in your own natural look. (And you may have a reason for it, or maybe you don't)... There is nothing wrong with wearing make up I add, but when you go from a 6 to a 10, you're only fooling and lying to yourself and everyone else.

Fake attracts Fake... Just remember that :)

• If your friend had sauce on her face from eating a hamburger, and she didn't notice, would you tell her? Or would you let her go throughout the day with it on her face as she walked through the mall, and have her realize it at the end of the day and feel humiliated because all of those people in the mall thought she looked disgusting?

See, for a lot of girls, makeup is a weird addiction. Take the 'winged eyeliner' for example. Firstly, the girl puts on a bit of eyeliner. Wow, compliments everywhere. She looks fantastic. Human logic follows: If so little is so good, more must be better! So every day, her eyeliner grows more and more in volume until it starts to look absurd, but by now, she doesn't realize how stupid she looks because she's used to that sight in the mirror!

She starts to wonder why the compliments have stopped, and because people aren't telling her she's wearing so much makeup (following the logic of this Take), she thinks it has nothing to do with her makeup, and continues with the addiction.

At around this time, all her friends are getting boyfriends. No guys are approaching her (because she looks ridiculous). Now, she gets self concious about other stuff, like her personality. She starts to think she just isn't good enough.

This Take is REALLY good. I like it! But the example that I've described is true for a lot of cases, especially with teen girls. I have seen lots of girls go through it.

I think that you're right, it's wrong to go up to a stranger and tell them they're ugly because they like to use makeup. That's just a bitchy thing to do.
    Thing is, I think that if you care about someone, and they're your friend, and you see them going through this thing I described, maybe you should tell them to spare them that anxiety of 'what am I doing wrong?' and that humiliation they'll discover at the end of the day.

• My best friend got a spider web tattoo on her neck last year. After getting it she asked me "Don't you think it's cool?" I told her as long as she is happy with how the tattoo turned out my opinion doesn't matter.

• It's not shaming.. Make up historically was never meant to be worn all day every day and it actually used to be illegal in several countries. It’s an enhancer, not a cover up. When you wear a buttload of make up all day everyday 365 days out of the year, there will be the one moment when you don’t wear it and you look like a totally different person. Plus, no matter how many minerals they put in it, make up is not good for your skin if you cake it on like that all the time. Skin needs to breathe and pores can’t do that through make-up.

• Once again and editor who believes she's an authority because she's an editor. Wearing makeup is in excess of sign of in excess of low self-esteem. No ifs, ands or buts. You don't need makeup even sparkle crystal doesn't. I choose to not wear makeup and that is my personal choice. I disagree with the editor but she has a right to have her own opinion and it doesn't make are a good person or a bad person. I would like to see a picture of sparkle without any makeup and then have the guys decide which is better. I say this because I cannot imagine a guy I know or multiple guys I know putting on makeup to look better. I do not wish to hear that putting on makeup is his choice a self choice and has nothing to do with looking better. That is where I draw the line. Nobody puts on makeup just to do so it's always to look better and the fact that guys don't like it is an obvious reaction to the fact that you do look better without makeup it is only in your mind. In the words of the famous Chuck Berry – – "Maybelline why can't you be true?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKDr8AgvK8

• So many problems with this!

FIRST, why do we have to look good for guys? We certain can if we want to, but the way you worded that implies that we base all of appearance choices based off of men...

You say that you can't imagine men wearing makeup to look better. Unfortunately, that's the result of gender stereotyping makeup. Sometimes I wish guys would look at makeup as an option. I have plenty of guy friends that complain about some one blemish on their face or something, that could easily be corrected with a small amount of makeup. And who's to say that painting your face should be strictly for women? It's literally just stuff. And, plenty of men in media wear makeup specifically to look better. Human skin can look pretty interesting under lights and cameras and HD filming.

And if people only put on makeup to look better, well, are you mad that they look better?

• Great point. Make up for me is just another way to express myself creatively. I love makeup and I feel so much more confident with it.
    http://i.imgur.com/CsXQh4E.jpg

• Thank you! I can put on as much mascara I want and rock the boldest matte lip in the world, and it doesn't change a thing about who I am on the inside :) and it shouldn't change anyone's perception of my confidence either.

I can look like Krusty the Clown, and that's ok as long as I'm happy with how I look and am rocking my style.

Great MyTake

• The problem is that there are some girls who have borderline body dysmorphia and they slap on a ton of makeup to hide their features completely. So the makeup then is literally a mask. Masking a deeper rooted problem, one that they actually should work on with a professional, not just hide. I'm insecure with my brows so I feel really ugly without putting on brows. But people can still recognize me without them. I don't use makeup to drastically alter my other features, only accentuate them. It's when you use makeup to a point where people can't recognize you anymore without the makeup, that's where I think the makeup is too much. Makeup is supposed to only accentuate your face and help slightly alter the particular feature you don't like. Foundation is not a brand new canvas on which you paint someone else's face over your own and walk around looking nothing like yourself.

• I'm pretty sure women have akways been told to wear make up. their is a small culture that is realizing they don't need to put all of that crap on their faces, Keep in mind makeup is actually bad for you. it ruins the skin , linked to cancers , infertility... etc.. now , if you wear a lot of makeup but have no problem going out without it that's a different story. A lot of women think they are ugly without make up. Let's also talk about the power of make up and how it can transform your features, a man can easily look like a woman with some mad contour skills and the knowledge wear the place the make up in the most flattering ways. I'm all in support of makeup, but it's always been something through out humanity we have told women they need to look more appealing. being different and breaking the mold is saying I'm beautiful without it.

• Honestly yea most women wear too much makeup. Way back when makeup was only wore during special occasions and not everyday as its a special day just to walk into the grocery store. I don't mind mascara or makeup cream that covers up scars whatever that person is insecure about not covering. But its not just simple makeup its a whole entire face with a bunch of unnatural things. I personally don't like makeup because i like to stay natural and i don't have time to put on makeup everytime i have to go somewhere and look dead if i go one day without it.

• Makeup is empowering, a creative outlet, and it takes true skill to know how to do it correctly. I wear makeup because I actually enjoy it regardless if a guy likes it or not I will always wear it just like I will not be ashamed to go makeup free in public.

• I so agree with you, it feels like many people here missed the point and genuinely think that anyone who wears makeup is insecure or trying to impress a guy. That's not true at all! It's definitely true in some cases, but not everyone is like this. I wear makeup just for fun and because I think of it as a form of art. I'm not dependent on it and I also love the makeup free days.

• @insert-smth-here finally someone who has the same view of makeup. It's fun to expirament with the colors and shapes.

• That's true! It's fun choosing colors to suit your mood or to go with your outfit for example.

• I agree. =)
    Althought I'm not a woman who likes to wear too much makeup, when it's well done I actually truly appreciate it. =) The artistic inference or intention behind it too.

• Great take!. Yeah sure massive makeup can look like shit on some people or awesome but it's their choice. I mean I'm not the one who's gonna be wearing their face so why should I or anyone complain? Maybe she feels damn sexy in it? Maybe she feels like she can conquer the world outside!. Cool good for them!. I wear my mascara n eyeliner all for me and no one else!. Cause" I"think it's pretty X).

• Some girls do take it to another level tbh, but as you say it's a personal choice. It's your body, your face. You can do whatever you want, I can have my opinion about it, that I won't necessarily share with you 'cause I know it would be pointless. So yes it's stupid to tell a girl she wears too much make up, but sometimes it's a matter of fact.

• QuQ You deserve all the happy tears.
    media3.giphy.com/media/jShr8wkP38XTO/giphy.gif

• Thanks you! I hate when people comment about a girl wearing too much makeup especially when those same people say she looks ugly without it.

• WOOO! This is the one that kills me! I've been keeping a close eye on this with my male friends. Now, if I present to them a female made up, and they happen to find her attractive, either they won't make a comment until I mention it (yeah, but she'll look better without makeup) or they'll complain about how it's completely unnecessary. Yet, if I show them the same woman later, without makeup, often they will say "she's alright".

Makeup, done well, only enhances one's appearance. (Of course, there is still artistic makeup) People fail to realize how often it'll make someone look just plain great. Sometimes they won't even realize someone is wearing makeup and would believe that it all comes naturally. I have to convince them that EVERYBODY on TV is wearing makeup, from the male news anchor to the cooking show lady. The only exceptions I can think of are a select few on reality shows and people being interviewed on the local news.

• I agree 100 . We need to do what ever makes us happy.

• I like wearing makeup because I like adding a little something to my look. Sometimes its glitter lipstick and mascara, sometimes its black eyeliner and silver highlighter. I like how I look, with and without makeup.

• Yes!!!

• To me, make up on somebody's face, if it is made correctly and with taste, represents a real art and I like looking at it even if it doesn't reflect that real woman's natural beauty all the time.

• As coco chanel said, there is nothing more arrogant than going outside without makeup.

• More from Girls
    7