Okay, We Need to Stop Telling Women They Wear Too Much Makeup

Why Society Needs To Stop Telling Women They Wear Too Much Makeup

Let’s just get one thing out of the way: I have nothing against women who choose not to wear makeup.

What’s included in your “getting ready routine” is your business.

Pick up a mascara wand, or don’t pick up a mascara wand; I have no judgment either way.

With that said, there seems to be an awful lot of advice for women when it comes to what we “should” or “shouldn’t” be doing to our faces.

The Internet likes to celebrate those ladies who choose to rock the bare skin look, as though they deserve a medal just for abstaining from foundation. We applaud these women as though they have turned down hard drugs instead of concealer.

But there’s a fine line between empowerment and condescension when it comes to this topic. On one hand, it’s important to support the positive self-esteem of women. We should all do our part to help young females empower themselves.

Amy Schumer’s “Girl, You Don’t Need Makeup” video comes to mind, as it’s intended to be a positive message to help boost young girls’ body image.

But, there is a problem here. And that problem is a tiny word: need.

There’s an assumption women who choose to wear makeup do so because they have poor self-images; any woman who wears makeup “needs” to in order to feel beautiful. But, what about the women who simply want to wear makeup? To take this one step further, can we put a moratorium on the “men prefer women who wear less makeup” angle?

Ladies, we should be wearing makeup for ourselves, not for the guys. Let’s drop this argument and start striving toward our own satisfaction when looking in the mirror. I rock my red lipstick not out of poor self-image but because I simply like it. My bathroom shelves are filled with tubes and brushes, but that doesn’t mean I’m insecure.

I'm not insecure. I'm not hiding behind my mascara, concealer, fake eyelashes or lipstick. I'm brave enough to challenge the notion that it's acceptable for people to criticize the amount of lip gloss I CHOOSE TO WEAR!!!

The problem is that wearing makeup, just like shaving your body hair or straightening your curls or picking out your clothes for the day, is a choice. It’s a personal choice, and no one should tell you otherwise.

Some people use makeup because they feel insecure about how they look. And you know what? That’s okay too. Doing things that make you feel more confident are okay, at least as long as you’re not harming yourself or putting your health at risk.

Let’s start celebrating our various lifestyle choices rather than shaming one another for being different.

We are more than our morning rituals, and the women who are ready to walk out the door with bare faces are just as strong and respectable as those who get up a little earlier to apply their BB cream.

The woman in your office whose skin is devoid of foundation could be just as self-assured as the woman who sports a cat eye.

We can’t be so ignorant as to believe we can determine a woman’s confidence level based upon the colors of her eyelids.

Ultimately, it’s clear we don’t “need” makeup. But some of us choose it anyway, and that is nothing to apologize for.

sparkly-crystal is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 41

• Nice mytake but if a girl/woman wears in my opion too much makeup then I think i should be able to say so

• Some women do wear too much makeup. It's not a shaming issue or "sexism" or a kick to women's vajayjay. It's just a fact. Some females look better with less make up or none.

Sometimes people say guys wear too much cologne, or have too much hair. You don't see us getting upset about it.

• @cipher42 You sound very jaded, angry at men and extremely one sided and close minded.

• @cipher42 Also when you talk about women don't wear make up for men... uh ya, ya kind of do. It's fpr yourself and men. It's hilarious that you said that. Clearly in jaded denial.
      It's called "packaged presentation". This is factual. Sorry if you disagree, irrelevant none-the-less.
      I'm sure you'll fire back with something one sided trying to one up me or say how I'm wrong and you're right.. or something like it... because that's what people with your mentality do.

• Makeup is hot

• People tend to like it either because they have low self-esteem and think it makes them look more attractive or because they think it's an artistic means of self-expression.

The first type needs the encouraging discouragement, the second type does not. I don't like makeup though so I'll be saying that makeup is too much makeup.

• My question to OP and women in general - am I wrong for:
    1) Not minding and not pointing out that a woman in public is wearing too much makeup?
    2) Not openly shaming or ridiculing makeup wearing women?
    3) BUT also seeing them as fake and unsuitable (for me) partners and not worth trying to be in a relationship with?

By all means choose to wear a lot of makeup but the same way I can choose to not consider you as a suitable partner. Now I know me finding you undateable is and should be of no concern for you, you're free to do what you want afterall and all the power to you, I was just putting my reaction to all of this out there. I have a preference for no makeup.

• A bit specific a gripe there. Hows about we need to stop judging people full stop

• People should be free and feel secure to do whatever they want as long as they aren't harming someone else

• Fuck that, makeup or no makeup, I'm going with her anyways!

Muahahahaha!

• Nah, i don't ever tell women they wear too much make up but its simply a turn off.

• I mean do what you want as long as you're not hurting anyone else.
    But real quick..."makeup" .. look at the word.. you're making up for lack of something.
    Don't get me wrong, too much is a turn off in a sense. I don't want to go out with one woman, come home to another. Feel me?

• You wear too much makeup.

Freedom of speech :P

• 0|0
  • I have nothing against make up or how one applies it but here's my problem with this MyTake.. Are we just gonna blantly ignore that SOME WOMEN DO WEAR THICK MAKE-UP... And ohhh just shut up about it? Need to stop saying women that they wear too much make up?

This isn't an issue about guys being douche to women or sexism or whatever. It's just a simple comment on a ones appearance or fashion sense look. Like what others had already said, it's no different to saying to someone you know that you wear
    *too much cologne or perfume (some because they want to mask the nasty smell)
    *Your pants are hanging too low
    oddculture.com/.../saggy_pants.jpg
    Which where many girls don't find appealing (Yeah... you dont hear them saying, Okay we need to stop saying your pants are too low)
    *Your shirt is too tight
    *your shirt is too loose
    *Your dress is too colourful
    *BRO, your hair is too short. Looks shit on you
    blah blah.

So what is it's a personal choice, obviously it is because a lot about ourselves are personal choice! but pointing out something of a fact to what we see such as too much make up
    i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...ge-m-20_1421831248371.jpg

i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...21000044C-893_196x298.jpg

is not some sort of antgonizing shaming voicing to make women apologetic... Everyone is free to say what they think.. Don't make it as if women are victims by comments and offended because you think there is an assumption of ''ohh thick make up, must be self image issue'' therefore STOP THE COMMENTS!!

I've heard women say to metrosexual guys your
    ''eyebrows are too done, it looks feminine''...
    tellmewhyimwrong.files.wordpress.com/.../pluck-3.jpg
    Ya dont hear them claiming as if they are victims, move on..

• It's not some edict that you need to fight. You're entitle to the choice of wearing makeup, men are entitled to have an opinion on it and they're entitle to prefer less. Again, it's not an edict, they're not forcing you to do it. When you say "It’s a personal choice, and no one should tell you otherwise" actually of course people *can* tell you otherwise, what you mean to say is that you shouldn't listen and that's a big difference. It's true you don't need to apologize and guess what, no one is asking you to. Furthermore, I don't need to apologize for preferring less makeup. So maybe you need to stop telling me I can't say that's too much makeup, hmm?

• Personally, I suspect that makeup is female intrasexual competition. It has nothing to do with men, but more to do with what females think will fool men into thinking they are fertile and young, and they compete with each other in this arena.

I say let 'em wear it, and don't say shit. If they ever ask you anything about how you think they look, tell the God's honest absolute truth.

• Who wants to date Crusty the Clown?

• Sounds more like an inability to accept criticism tbh..

• I don't really like makeup, so I don't date girls who wear a lot of make up

• Yes we do, I've seen girls that if they wore anymore fake tan Madonna would try and adopt them

• Then stop asking guys "How do I look?". If you don't want our opinion on if you're wearing too much make-up then stay out of the "How do I look?" section.
    This site is all about girls asking for guys opinions, but you're telling us to stop telling you our opinion. Wtf?

• More from Guys
    21

What Girls Said 28

• I agree. =)
    Althought I'm not a woman who likes to wear too much makeup, when it's well done I actually truly appreciate it. =) The artistic inference or intention behind it too.

• Thanks you! I hate when people comment about a girl wearing too much makeup especially when those same people say she looks ugly without it.

• WOOO! This is the one that kills me! I've been keeping a close eye on this with my male friends. Now, if I present to them a female made up, and they happen to find her attractive, either they won't make a comment until I mention it (yeah, but she'll look better without makeup) or they'll complain about how it's completely unnecessary. Yet, if I show them the same woman later, without makeup, often they will say "she's alright".

Makeup, done well, only enhances one's appearance. (Of course, there is still artistic makeup) People fail to realize how often it'll make someone look just plain great. Sometimes they won't even realize someone is wearing makeup and would believe that it all comes naturally. I have to convince them that EVERYBODY on TV is wearing makeup, from the male news anchor to the cooking show lady. The only exceptions I can think of are a select few on reality shows and people being interviewed on the local news.

• It's not shaming.. Make up historically was never meant to be worn all day every day and it actually used to be illegal in several countries. It’s an enhancer, not a cover up. When you wear a buttload of make up all day everyday 365 days out of the year, there will be the one moment when you don’t wear it and you look like a totally different person. Plus, no matter how many minerals they put in it, make up is not good for your skin if you cake it on like that all the time. Skin needs to breathe and pores can’t do that through make-up.

• Yes!!!

• Honestly yea most women wear too much makeup. Way back when makeup was only wore during special occasions and not everyday as its a special day just to walk into the grocery store. I don't mind mascara or makeup cream that covers up scars whatever that person is insecure about not covering. But its not just simple makeup its a whole entire face with a bunch of unnatural things. I personally don't like makeup because i like to stay natural and i don't have time to put on makeup everytime i have to go somewhere and look dead if i go one day without it.

• Honestly and I am not going to get into an argument, young girls don't need makeup old women do

• Thank you! I can put on as much mascara I want and rock the boldest matte lip in the world, and it doesn't change a thing about who I am on the inside :) and it shouldn't change anyone's perception of my confidence either.

I can look like Krusty the Clown, and that's ok as long as I'm happy with how I look and am rocking my style.

Great MyTake

• The problem is that there are some girls who have borderline body dysmorphia and they slap on a ton of makeup to hide their features completely. So the makeup then is literally a mask. Masking a deeper rooted problem, one that they actually should work on with a professional, not just hide. I'm insecure with my brows so I feel really ugly without putting on brows. But people can still recognize me without them. I don't use makeup to drastically alter my other features, only accentuate them. It's when you use makeup to a point where people can't recognize you anymore without the makeup, that's where I think the makeup is too much. Makeup is supposed to only accentuate your face and help slightly alter the particular feature you don't like. Foundation is not a brand new canvas on which you paint someone else's face over your own and walk around looking nothing like yourself.

• Some girls do take it to another level tbh, but as you say it's a personal choice. It's your body, your face. You can do whatever you want, I can have my opinion about it, that I won't necessarily share with you 'cause I know it would be pointless. So yes it's stupid to tell a girl she wears too much make up, but sometimes it's a matter of fact.

• If my partner says I'm wearing too much makeup, I'll tone it down. You people are way too politically correct.

• To me, make up on somebody's face, if it is made correctly and with taste, represents a real art and I like looking at it even if it doesn't reflect that real woman's natural beauty all the time.

• Makeup shaming is horrible, insecure ugly people do it

• I like wearing makeup because I like adding a little something to my look. Sometimes its glitter lipstick and mascara, sometimes its black eyeliner and silver highlighter. I like how I look, with and without makeup.

• Great point. Make up for me is just another way to express myself creatively. I love makeup and I feel so much more confident with it.
    http://i.imgur.com/CsXQh4E.jpg

• Once again and editor who believes she's an authority because she's an editor. Wearing makeup is in excess of sign of in excess of low self-esteem. No ifs, ands or buts. You don't need makeup even sparkle crystal doesn't. I choose to not wear makeup and that is my personal choice. I disagree with the editor but she has a right to have her own opinion and it doesn't make are a good person or a bad person. I would like to see a picture of sparkle without any makeup and then have the guys decide which is better. I say this because I cannot imagine a guy I know or multiple guys I know putting on makeup to look better. I do not wish to hear that putting on makeup is his choice a self choice and has nothing to do with looking better. That is where I draw the line. Nobody puts on makeup just to do so it's always to look better and the fact that guys don't like it is an obvious reaction to the fact that you do look better without makeup it is only in your mind. In the words of the famous Chuck Berry – – "Maybelline why can't you be true?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKDr8AgvK8

• So many problems with this!

FIRST, why do we have to look good for guys? We certain can if we want to, but the way you worded that implies that we base all of appearance choices based off of men...

You say that you can't imagine men wearing makeup to look better. Unfortunately, that's the result of gender stereotyping makeup. Sometimes I wish guys would look at makeup as an option. I have plenty of guy friends that complain about some one blemish on their face or something, that could easily be corrected with a small amount of makeup. And who's to say that painting your face should be strictly for women? It's literally just stuff. And, plenty of men in media wear makeup specifically to look better. Human skin can look pretty interesting under lights and cameras and HD filming.

And if people only put on makeup to look better, well, are you mad that they look better?

• I agree 100 . We need to do what ever makes us happy.

• As coco chanel said, there is nothing more arrogant than going outside without makeup.

• Or how about you just deal with the fact people have opinions? People naturally dislike anything fake or superficial. Make up is NOT the same as doing your hair. These delusions you girls come up with. You are insecure if you feel like you need to change what you naturally have. You are insecure if you can't go outside without painting your face on. You are INSECURE, period. Wearing make up doesn't make you f*cking different lol who are you fooling? Girl bye with this lame take.

• I truly hope you actual age is not over 25. If so your name is on my prayer list.

• Go do your homework, tf you doing posting here?

• you don't need to worry about that hun... you just need to grow up.

• you dont have to apologize to anyone if you want to wear a tonne of make up but you can not ask from the world not to comment on it. Like every decisions we make, you can not demand from the world to accept it , or like it or not comment on it

• Yeah, but at a certain point, it kinda becomes just being an asshole, ya know? Like, it's not going to help them; if they really like it, chances are they're going to continue on with it; if they're just starting off, you're potentially crushing their desire to continue with their hobby.

But at the same time, we're all entitled to our only opinions, so whatcha gonna do?

• I didn't read the post just the title but I totally disagree...

We should not stop telling women they wear too much makeup. Some women DO WEAR TOOOOOO MUCH MAKEUP and it looks ugly AF. What they do to their face, they are entitle to it just as WHAT comes out of our mouth, we are entitled to it.

NO FULLY SECURE WOMAN feels the need to wear that much makeup... SORRY BUT ITS TRUTH and if the truth hurts, SO BE IT.

All these excuses and bullshit about "it is a creative outlet" is just a bunch of BULL... If it really were, then you'd pick up drawing and painting and NOT PAINTING YOUR FACE TO MAKE YOURSELF MORE BEAUTIFUL AND enhance your features!

At the end of the day, there is ONLY one reason women wear makeup: TO FEEL MORE BEAUTIFUL/EMPOWERED/BETTER about themselves...

Take that make up offfff and you will see them (ESPECIALLY THOSE THAN WEAR THE GALLON), start to feel completely uncomfortable and insecure! Sooooo you can say and argue all you want that Women who wear makeup aren't insecure, the facts show otherwise.

I have nothing against wearing makeup, heck! I usedddd to be a rather fan of it myself... But when I moved to a country where women barely wore any and were appreciated for being beautiful on their own and then I realized how 'beautiful' one can actually be without makeup, i minimized it to the extreme.

It is TRUE... I don't want someone to see me and think: "Wow, look how stunningly beautiful you are", but then look at me without makeup and think: "Wow, who the fuck is this person and what has happened to that person I MET>?"

I'd rather you meet me and SEE WHO I REALLY AM and HOW I REALLY LOOK and then impress you when I look EXTREMELY beautiful, than lie to you about how I really look to then see how I truly look... That's false advertisement.. It's like buying a 'gold painted chain' made out of straw than actually gold.

So girls can try and FOOL THEMSELVES all they want, but men and we all know the truth... You are just insecure in your own natural look. (And you may have a reason for it, or maybe you don't)... There is nothing wrong with wearing make up I add, but when you go from a 6 to a 10, you're only fooling and lying to yourself and everyone else.

Fake attracts Fake... Just remember that :)

• More from Girls
    8