What Magick Is And What A Witch Is: Pagan And Wiccan Edition

Okay so there seems to be confusion as to what a Wicca is, and what real magick is. I will try my best to explain everything clearly, and if you are going to be rude with your opinion (with whatever it is), I will block you immediately if you cannot respect my religion.

Wiccans believe in the God and Goddess, who are equal to one another. Generally, each witch will have a certain deity in which they connect with more, for example, my mother connects with Ishtar the most, as she believes Ishtar the goddess has appeared in her dreams.

[Ishtar is the goddess of fertility, love, war, and sex.]

The Goddess for me is Nyx. Goddess of the night time, darkness, and she stood at or near the beginning of creation and mothered other personified deities such as Hypnos (Sleep) and Thanatos (Death), with Erebus (Darkness).

Also, Wiccan's and some Pagans I believe, use tarot cards, and here are some of the Wiccan symbols we use:

Here's the difference between "magic" and "magick".

Magic- is the equivalent of what a magician does on stage, mostly parlor tricks and slight of hand.
Magick- is the harnessing and utilization of the subtle energies of the world around us, used to effect change in said world to make it better for those we care about ( healing for a sick friend, healing the earth herself) to help ourselves with certain problems [ mainly resorted to after mundane remedies have not solved].

Wicca is a Pagan religion, and Paganism [as I have stated in a take before] is one of the oldest religions, Paganism predated Christianity, as does Judaism.

Paganism: a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.

Wicca: the religious cult of modern witchcraft, especially an initiatory tradition founded in England in the mid 20th century and claiming its origins in pre-Christian pagan religions.

Sadly, Paganism was a label that Christians applied to others, one of the antitheses that were central to the process of Christian self-definition. As such, throughout history it was generally used in a derogatory sense. They used it for anyone who was not their own, Judaism or Islam- the three Abrahamic religions.

Do you see the Pentacle down below? That is the symbol of the Pagans, also Wicca. Wicca has many symbols themselves, but that is the main one for the religion. Generally, it is known as the "Satanic symbol" or the "Devil's symbol". It is not. The pentacle has an element for each point on the star.

The upside-down pentacle known as the pentagram, is the real "satanic symbol", along with the Leviathan cross.

Wiccan's are called "Witches" because we channel energy into power, or even "spells". Wiccan spells are not "voodoo, black magic, flying broomsticks" or any of that Hollywood Bullshit. Wicca believes in the channeling of the energies around us, because everything has energy. Wiccans are generally good, and those who do the good magick are called "white witches" and we practice "white magick".

Keep in mind, Wicca also has "Commandments", basically a moral code in which we follow. There are different versions but they mainly say the same shit. For example: We do not use "black magick", because we believe the energy we give out, is what we get in return just 3x as intense.

If one would wish to do a spell, say one for luck in money.

This is a simple white magick spell which will help you overcome financial difficulties and attract money successfully into your life. It can also be used as a spell to help you in business.

You will need:

-A gold chain

-A gold ring

-Three yellow candles

Wiccan Money Spell

Cast your circle of protection.

Put the yellow candles in front of you, forming a triangle.

Light the candles, then place the gold ring and the gold chain in the middle of that triangle.

Visualize the centre of the triangle filling with prosperity energy, and all the abundance of the universe.

Get into this visualization as strongly as you can, and then chant the simple mantra below three times:

Wealth, abundance and prosperity, Flow into my life and set me free. It is my will; So mote it be.

Now take the gold ring and put it on the gold chain. Then put the chain around your neck, and feel the prosperity energy connecting with your own energy. Wear the gold chain as often as you can, as it will now attract money into your life.

Now, notice how that spell focused on the visualization and energy? All you have to do is believe in the energy, and it will happen.

Now, I hope you understand more! I tried to keep it to the basics while explaining everything clearly and adding examples. Now may I repeat: I will block you immediately if you cannot respect my religion.

Sources: http://wiccanspells.info/simple-wiccan-money-spell/

https://www.google.com/search?q=wicca+definition&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS694US694&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu59jB1JbNAhUBPT4KHac5ACcQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=QVhIUBLyAbcbTM%3A

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090430090434AANaYUw

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090523013429AApWRdH

http://www.wicca-spirituality.com/wicca-magick.html

Mainly google along with:

To ride a silver broomstick Book by Silver RavenWolf

The Wicca handbook by Eileen Holland

Witchcraft today by Gerald Gardner

The beginners guide to Wicca by Starhawk

A witch's 10 commandments by marian singer

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• One question. It may come off as rude but I mean it sincerely.

You talk a lot about paganism being this big misunderstood religion that met its demise once the big bad Abrahamic religions started dominating the scene, but how do you reconcile that with the fact that paganism itself was incredibly violent, misogynistic, and backwards in antiquity? Just look at the Norse for example whose idea of Heaven was being at war, or the Egyptians who used to bury women alive with their husbands. The pagan Romans loved themselves some slaves and rape, and even modern day Hinduism justifies the caste system because it finds the lives of dumb animals more important than an entire class of innocent human beings.

I'm not saying the Abrahamic religions were any better, but when you try to portray paganism as this peaceful, misunderstood religion, that's when I know you are full of it. At least monotheism produced abolitionism and feminism whereas paganism never did and in fact was the metaphysical outlook which gave birth to slavery and sexism.

• That is not how I meant it at all, Paganism is generally the derogatory term used for any relgiion that wasn't those 3. Certain parts of Pagan is like that, yes, but there are many sub-religions of Paganism that is not at all like that.

• I think the thing you must understand is that the umbrella term "paganism" is a woefully simple way to lump smaller religions together. To say the Norse religion is like Wicca, or that Numanism is like the Egyptian religion, or to compare most any pagan religion to another, completely misinterprets their beliefs. To compare Aztec faith with Wicca is like comparing Taoism and Christianity. They have so little in common, it doesn't make sense to bring them up together other than to say that they are both religions.

• @Nice_Guy_Last I know that, I stated that in the beginning. I didn't say anything about how Wicca is like other religions.

• Are there different types of wicca? I seem to recall one where there was a horned god and a horned godess

• I believe so, and the MAIN belief for Wiccans are the God and Goddess, who are equal to one another.

• May I ask why you would rather be reincarnated.
      Me, I usually just want the depression to end, Its really really rough, and after it is all over, I'd love to find myself in a place of beauty and feel at peace.
      The prospect of anything else is honestly kinda scary.
      I do respect what you want It just kinda baffles me

• Because it's different lives at different times in different places. i may not remember any of it but it will all be my experiences and my soul will remember it, even if my mind doesn't.
      its cool to think about in my opinion

• "and what real magick is"
    -Real?

"the goddess has appeared in her dreams"
    -Are dreams really a good enough foundation to follow a certain 'religion'?

"The Goddess for me is Nyx"
    -How big is the selection of characters you can worship? Per instance, the Elder Scrolls video games have two pantheons - Aedra and Daedra with the later being the bad guys that meddle in human affairs. Together put, there'd be about two dozen of them.

"used to effect change in said world"
    -Is there any scientifically verified documentation of this happening?

"Paganism is one of the oldest religions"
    -It's just a category of religions, much like monotheism.

"Witches" because we channel energy into power, or even "spells"
    -How does it work biologically?

" and feel the prosperity energy connecting with your own energy."
    -Wat.

"All you have to do is believe in the energy, and it will happen."
    -Ok cool, but how can this be proven? The premise is that if one does not believe then it won't happen. So how does someone, who doesn't believe in this, come to acknowledge it actually exists?
    Could one person observe Wiccan magick at work? Or will it conveniently not work upon being studied and recorded?

I do not mean to be offensive. I personally simply need rock solid evidence in order to believe in something existing and being real.

• Well alright-this religion is about spirtuality and energy so i dont think you're gonna get "rock solid" evidence

• Get rid of "the". "I'm just trying to comprehend the foundations of belief," would be a more appropriate statement This question is frequently submitted of all religions and not just Wicca. I tell you now, religion is not a matter of evidence. Religion is the social construct of faith, and faith is the totality of a person's beliefs. To try and define it with scientific terms is no different than to define art with science. A scientist can tell you that a painting is made up of a set amount of materials that emit a specific light pattern, but that misses the point of the art.

• @Nice_Guy_Last Well I guess I could have worded it entirely differently then. I could have instead have been more blunt and ask, "I'm just trying to comprehend how you justify having such beliefs and what's the point of them?" Or something like that.

• I never understood how anyone could see any logic in the idea that all religions can coexist. That's like saying that all political parties can coexist.

• Magick is a science not understood by modern scientists. If we had no science, but showed people the first television, they'd think that's magick which it is, but now it's not considered magick because we understand it i. e have science and we understand the mechanism of a television. If we didn't have science and didn't know television we'd consider it magick.

• As a person with business interests, I've quickly found some potentially exploitable things in those "commandments":

1.) Don't mess with the spirit world *without proper knowledge*
    How does one judge it? Does it mean if one assumes he has "proper knowledge", he can whatever shit he wants? Who has the power to judge whether one has the "proper knowledge"? How it's possible to measure "proper knowledge"? Educational institution, courses in magick? PhD in magick?
    2.) Don't use curse or hex on someone undeserving.
    How does one measure whether someone deserves something or not? That's judged by one's personal perception and opinion; a person with mental issues may see everyone as "deserving". Does it allow him to legally curse and hex people at will?

3.) Cause harm to none (only in cases of protection).
    Does it mean that if I provoked someone (without causing physical harm) with purpose to attack me, I can wreck hell on him, as legally I'm acting as a case of self-defense (protection)?

• I'm Catholic but tbh I find it interesting. Sometimes I feel like the only open religious person... I mean I listen to metal (which is supposedly satanic), I watch horror movies, and blah blah blah. But idc I find it fascinating lol

• Like the Take quite informative. There does seem to be some negativity surrounding wiccans and that comes from lack of understanding. So at least this should clear some misunderstandings. I do find wicca interesting because of their connection with energies.

I need to look into, so I can make potions to become best lover ever, make her forget anyone past or future. Who am I kidding.. I don't need potions I'm already the best lover ever :D

• It should also be noted that spell components are really just 'foci' (focus tools) used to help focus and concentrate the 'natural energies' for potency.

• I'm a Catholic, but I'll be honest, I am truly fascinated by Wicca.
    My questions abound. I was introduced to many religions in my studies, but unfortunately, being a "Pagan" religion, Wicca has never been big enough to make it into my courses. So, if you don't mind me asking, I have a few questions I need sated.
    What is the nature of magick? Is it a permeating energy, a la the "Force", or is it energy unique to each thing? Does it affect all things, or are there things exempt from it?
    What is the nature of the Gods and Goddesses? Are they deities in full form, or simply representations of their specific domain? Are they the progenitors of magick, or born of it?
    You mentioned witches, do other names apply to other things, such as wizard, warlock, sorcerer, mage, etc., or are those words that are created outside of Wicca? If those words are used to apply to other things within Wicca, how do they differ from witch?
    Are their sentient entities that are not human or deity, like how the Abrahamic religions have Angels, Demons, and (in the case of Islam) Djinns? If so, how do they interact with humanity, or do they at all?
    Does Wicca have an origin story? Does it have a mythos, similar to the Greeks and the Religion of Numa? If so, do the Gods and Goddesses have continuing role in the story of it, or does it only pertain to ages long ago?
    Does Wicca intersect with other pagan religions in practice and belief? If so, which ones?
    I could ask for ages, but I'll confine my questions to this for now.

• Oh, also, is the Pentacle different from the Pentagram?

• @SweetHomicidalQueen
      Sorry to inundate you with questions. It's just so interesting in many regards.

• Don't be sorry! I love when people are interested in learning more about my religion :)

• I'm a hex girl and I'm gonna put a spell on u I'm gonna put a spell on you

Shout out to everybody who knows wheres that from

• I've heard of Wicca only a little so this was interesting and informative.
    Good take.

• This was wonderful. I am like this but not as much

• Hmm interesting I would consider expanding my thoughts beliefs on this...

• Do what thou wilt, yet harm none.
    The law of three, as old as time itself written into the hearts and minds of all who practice the craft. Neither ten nor three commandments, just one. Blessed be my sister. Blessed be.

(If you block me for this, then so be it)

• This was a nice take, I have several books on this subject as I too find it rather interesting, I have never had any negative experiences with anybody who practices Wicca. Be well. :-)

• Why do you believe in this? I'm just simply curious, I've been sitting here for a while racking my brain on why.

• "Magick- is the harnessing and utilization of the subtle energies of the world around us, used to effect change in said world to make it better for those we care about"

That's called science. :D Even though scientist don't understand that.

• Science is magick.

• I think you are missing exactly what the Take owner was trying to say. Magick and magic are separate. Yes, laser beams are magic, but their creation isn't magick.
      Like the Take owner inferred, magic is manipulation of the physical world in a manner that inspires mystique and awe, magick involves the manipulation of an ethereal world.
      It's much less a science experiment than it is a religious rite.

• @Nice_Guy_Last Ok, I get it, but why wouldn't science eventually be able to understand the ethereal. It's not impossible (nothing is)

• Doesn't sound any more or less ridiculous than any of the world's major religions...

• It sounds a lot more ridiculous. At least it's not Scientology.

• A lot more ridiculous? Than a man being born of a virgin, walking on water, and rising from the dead?

• The Bible has a lot to say about witchcraft. Witchcraft and its many cousins, such as fortune-telling and necromancy, are Satan’s counterfeits to holy spirituality. The Bible expressly condemns all forms of witchcraft.
    Since early times, people have sought supernatural experiences God did not endorse. The nations that surrounded the Promised Land were saturated with such practices, and God had stern words for His people concerning any involvement with them. Deuteronomy 18:9–12 says, “When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord.”
    God takes witchcraft very seriously. The penalty for practicing witchcraft under the Mosaic Law was death (Exodus 22:18; Leviticus 20:27). First Chronicles 10:13 tells us that “Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance.” In the New Testament, “sorcery” is translated from the Greek word pharmakeia, from which we get our word pharmacy (Galatians 5:20; Revelation 18:23). Witchcraft and spiritism often involve the ritualistic use of magic potions and mind-controlling drugs. Using illicit drugs can open ourselves up to the invasion of demonic spirits. Engaging in a practice or taking a substance to achieve an altered state of consciousness is a form of witchcraft.
    There are only two sources of spiritual power: God and Satan. Satan has only the power that God allows him to have, but it is considerable (Job 1:12; 2 Corinthians 4:4; Revelation 20:2). To seek spirituality, knowledge, or power apart from God is idolatry, closely related to witchcraft. First Samuel 15:23 says, “For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.” Witchcraft is Satan’s realm, and he excels in counterfeiting what God does. When Moses performed miracles before Pharaoh, the magicians did the same things through demonic power (Exodus 8:7). At the heart of witchcraft is the desire to know the future and control events that are not ours to control. Those abilities belong only to the Lord. This desire has its roots in Satan’s first temptation to Eve: “You can be like God” (Genesis 3:5

• Satan’s major focus has been to divert human hearts away from worship of the true God (Genesis 3:1). He entices humans with the suggestions of power, self-realization, and spiritual enlightenment apart from submission to the Lord God. Witchcraft is merely another branch of that enticement. To become involved in witchcraft in any way is to enter Satan’s realm. Seemingly “harmless” modern entanglements with witchcraft can include horoscopes, Ouija boards, Eastern meditation rituals, and some video and role-playing games. Any practice that dabbles in a power source other than the Lord Jesus Christ is witchcraft. Revelation 22:15 includes witches in a list of those who will not inherit eternal life: “Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.”
      We don’t need to fear Satan’s power, but we should respect it and stay away from it. First John 4:4 says, “Greater

• Well, I'm Catholic, so I most certainly wouldn't (quite the opposite, really).

• @Nice_Guy_Last Im Catholic too. People who think they are talking to dead relatives are foolish when they are really talking to something else

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 23

• Good Take and very informative.

Me, personally, I don't really care about the difference because they both go against my religious beliefs. But I think this helps clear up the stigmas and the differences.

• This is awesome! A real eye opener, and sounds like something I could really connect with. I love many of the concepts you've presented.

• Thank you for sharing this to us. That's really interesting.
    How do you determine the god/goddess you connect to the most? Is it pre-determined before you're born or do you personally choose the deity? Or do you have symbolic amulets depicting a goddess/god that you should connect to?

• Intersting ! Thanks for sharing !

• Thank you for clearing this up. I'm not wiccan I was a long time ago but I'm getting tired of people thinking wiccans do some Harry Potter type of shit. I don't claim to be an expert but it's nothing like the way the media portrays it at all

• So you could do spells and get anything? There's no boundaries? I don't really believe it but it does sound interesting.

• No, there are boundaries, but it will help you a lot.

• So there are laws in place. That makes sense!

• HeWhoPonders is right

• Blessed Be My Sister

• Apparently 600 witches hexed Brock Turner with impotence last week.

• I noticed that some of the gods you mentioned are part of the greek mythology!

Also I want to pose some questions. Do you drain living things by taking their energy to do magick? I mean, by physics' laws, the energy can be transfirmed or transferred but the amound of it remains the same, except atomic energy. Do all wiccans have the capability to do magick? Do they care about getting stronger in magick and how do they achieve that? And do they talk with the gods and godesses? Are they all good or not? Do they reply to them?

• They are.

Nope, we use our own energy so it may cause us to become exhausted. Yes they do if they believe they can- anyone can honestly. Generally they don't care about getting "stronger" or anything, although the results may be stronger for an older Wiccan than a younger one. They don't "talk" like you and I would face to face but Wiccan's can pray to them just as Christians do to God.
      Are you asking if all the gods/goddesses are good or not, or are you asking if all wiccans are good or not?

• Well it's mainly all roman/greek gods/goddesses but there are others who pray to different types of gods/goddesses (such as egyptian i believe)
      No, not all the gods are good but they're not bad. They all mainly tend to be neautral.
      I believe in the science way the world was made -Big Bang

• oh, so it combines elements from different religions it seems.
      I believe in big bang too, that explains how earth was created, and also in the way that is being described in the bible's first book, genesis, that shows who created it. You can also see how the text actually describes big bang and evolution in times where those theories weren't known. You 'll notice the light is being created in the first day=the explosion in big bang theory, while the sun, the moon and the stars are being created in the fourth day. Of course it's not actual days but big periods of time. And the species are being created from the simplest to the more complex, humans. Now, we typically are still in the 7th day where after the creation God rested!
      www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1

• Excellent Take you did there! ~Blessed be.

• TL,:Dr

• OMG I'm amazed... Thank you thank you thank you girl!

• Black magic is real I've seen it happen many times where I live. You don't want to miss with demons:/ they are real and if you bother them they'll get you

• Triquetra, that's the symbol from Charmed, very cool :D

ladygeekgirl.files.wordpress.com/.../...0-1024.jpg

• Wait a minute, why is "2nd degree Wiccan" symbolized by the Satanic upside down pentagram?

• Who are some famous Wiccans and what are some famous Wiccan deeds/mysteries non-Wiccans can't explain.

Also, is it ok by Wiccans to put a hex on someone if they 'deserve' it. And if so, what are some examples of where someone would deserve a hex?

• I dont know, I dont know, and I haven't heard that. Wiccans tend to avoid hex's because we dont want it to come back on us.

• They can't exactly "tell your future" but they can tell you what the future may hold on the path you're going down. They use the energy of the user to do as they wish. I know more women than men but it's probably about equal. And no I dont mind at all

• Thank you :)

• While i do not understand your religion and why one would pratice it, i respect it. However, peganism isn't misunderstood at all it conguered three continents for several thousands of years and outlawed christianity for hundreds of years. Then it conquered Christianity. Peganism for the last 2016 years has been apart of Christianity because of the invasion and conquer of it by Constantinople was even more so in the old testaments that europeans felt gave them a right to invade much of the world.

• I've always been attracted by the Wicca since I read the Cate Tiernan's Sweep saga. This believe based on energy switches with nature make me feel inspired. I really would to join a ritual, but I'm always been stopped by the people stereotypes. Even if i don't mean to change religion, do you think could I assist at a magic ritual of them?

• Well possibly, butt you don't even need to do a magical ritual to become a Wiccan, you just need to learn up on what they are and if you believe in it, you are one.

• Always glad to learn more about people's different beliefs, even if I do not share them

• I was wondering about Nyx, that goddess of darkness from the 11th season of "Supernatural" is inspired by her, right?

• More from Girls
    3