Why I Don't Own A Cell Phone

1) It Cuts You Off From The World

Being on your phone all the time cuts you off from reality and your surroundings. You end up so engrossed in what you're doing that you don't notice what's happening around you.

2) The World Feels Cut Off From You

If you're on your phone, people may be reluctant to talk to you or interrupt what you're doing which can cause missed opportunities to meet someone new or for your friend to talk to you about things. If you look busy, then nobody will want to bother you.

3) It Gets Addicting And Stressful

It's hard to get out of the habit of constantly being on Instagram, Tinder, and other social media apps and one you're using them they become a part of your personality. And trying to constantly keep up with everything online and trying to keep your online persona looking a certain way can be stressful.

4) It's Money That Can Be Spent Elsewhere

The cost of buying and maintaining a plan on your phone can be expensive. I'd personally rather spend that money on something I need than on a phone.

5) You Learn To Be Dependent On It

It can become something that you feel unsafe leaving the house without or like you wouldn't know what to do if you lost it. Sometimes you can end up putting too much trust on the idea of having one that you don't learn how to navigate the world without it (mostly for teenagers on this one).

So here are a few reasons why I don't personally carry a phone on me, but everyone is different and I don't expect everyone to agree with not having one. Just my own lifestyle.

Thank you for reading!

MissMc3 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 35

• vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest Good for you! I gave up my smart phone 3+ years ago because all I was doing was playing solitaire and sending pics/receiving them. I decided it was an issue like number 4 on your list. Got a Burner with an unbeatable solitaire game and with the lack of pic forwarding to eat my time I can write more Mytakes like this www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a30259-10-life-lessons-that-the-voices-in-my-head-agree-with-kind-of

• Wow... I can get away with saying this because I'm old, and people just think I can't operate a smartphone or some such nonsense. I need it for work but aside from that, it's never used for leisure purposes. Neither is my computer.

But a 17-year-old saying this? ... geez, your peers probably want you burned at the stake. :P

i mean i agree but it also seems like self control can avoid all these things

i own a cell phone. i don't allow the phone to own me. the phone is for making a phone call or communicating via text. the smart phone is a convenience for me (gps, traffic apps, online banking, tuning my guitar, getting guitar tabs, etc) i just try not to allow it to to cut me off from the world around me

i totally get what you mean. a lot of people fall victim to the black hole like world of cell phones. it just seems like people need to exhibit more self control in those cases

• There are way more positives than negatives with a smartphone.

Most of your negative points, can be negated with some good 'ol fashioned self-discipline.

1- Actually, that depends on what you use it for. If you download social media apps then for sure , it connects you to the world which is the opposite of your point.
    3- That is just you and your will power. I have a phone. I am not addicted to it at all. I have no games on it too. Only social media apps. So just because you got addicted to it , it doesn't mean that everybody will.
    4- Yeah you can spend that money elsewhere and i know where you will be spending it. Mails. Lots and lots of mails since you cannot send messages without a phone.
    5- Well the point of the whole invention is to use it when you need it. It allows us to call/text others so we all are dependent on them. What are you gonna do when you get kidnapped/lost and you dont have a phone because you "dont need a one" and you will be using landline phones which can do the exact same thing right (especially that you can carry them away wherever you want) ?
    You are missing lots of its advantages and you are also acting like point 3 affects everyone.

how do you function without it? its a mini computer...

* you can add that it causes increase in cancer...

never had need for one but that could change.

I only spend $100 a year on my smart phone because I have the cheapest limited data, minutes, & text plan possible. I use google hangouts for free wifi calling at home to save on minutes.

So #4 is debunked.

Do you need a private helicopter to come pick you up for work when you can't be reached?

• Finally, a teen that would not be on their phone 24/7 that is a miracle!

I am most impressed! If I were a younger guy and noticed you were not on your phone all the time (especially texting your friends that are sitting in the same room with you) I would think WOW she is worth getting to know!

• Lol Thank you very much!

• Hahaha 👍

• I was the same as you, but my parents kind of forced me to get one last week :/

• I am turkish and i want to learn English. What do I for learn english? Help me

• Agreed. I have a cheap cell phone with no real browser and don't have data.

• But you are using a computer with internet to type this myTake. So you obviously need some form of modern communication.
    It's like people calling a news show to protest TV.

• awesome take. i dont own a cell phone too and its because of some of those reasons

• I personally enjoy severing the connection with my phone. Sometimes I just leave it elsewhere in my apartment and don't look for it. Or even *gasp* leave completely without it. I don't answer every time it rings, or every time I get a text. I use it on my time.

• I never liked cell phones, I wish they were never invented, great Take indeed :D

• What happens if you're in an emergency, and there's no payphone around. You can't just go and ask someone else for their phone

• I'm pretty sure I've both used someone's phone and let someone use mine before.

• Haha I have used peoples phones before.. more then once and plenty of people have used mine as well...

• You make a lot of good points. I need one for work, but I really don't use it that much, and I find it annoying when I'm out with friends and everyone is obsessing over their cells and ignoring each other!

• Wow, really cool take. I have to say lately I kinda wish I could get by without one. It really annoys me how much people text. They're scared of talking on the phone, let alone face to face. This is costing me credit recharges constantly which sucks. Like why can't we just meet up somewhere and enjoy the outdoors and sunshine, go for a nice walk?

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 27

Did anyone else notice in the last picture the actress is holding her phone upside down?

• I have a cell phone but I barely use it, I just have it to help me stay in contact with people when I'm not home.

• How do you make friends?

Great My Take, @MissMc3
    Although I Agree with you on 'Why I Don't Own a Cell Phone,' it is always Good Advice from my own End, my Friend, to Carry a Cheap One, hun, in Case of an Emergency.
    My parents thought like you. However, when they Found themselves Stranded on the Side of the Highway one Day, the next Day... They went out and Bought themselves a Cheap Celly.
    Good luck. xx

My ex didn't let me have a phone and that made me feel cut off from the world, especially as we lived in the country. They said I could use the home phone to call people if I needed to -- so I had no mobile to go out with. Consequently, I felt unsafe leaving the house much. What do you do in an emergency? I know people survived most of history without phones but in this day & age, being without causes me anxiety. I don't view this as "dependency" or "addiction" -- being without a phone is stressful. Having a phone is not (to me). So, it's an easy choice. [shrug]

People were surviving with out them just about twenty years ago, the dependancy is conditioned into you. You don't actually need it to be safe, you just think you do

1. Self control and respect. I have travelled the world, messenger is one of the few ways I can actually keep in contact, so it keeps me in contact with the world. And it also means I can see the news through my phone.

2. Self control and respect again. Both of these can be subbed with anything, if I'm reading around a guest, then I'm being rude and cut off from them too. Don't blame the technology on these two, blame the persons respect.

3. Again, self control. Don't go on those apps then. You don't need apps on your phone.

4. It's not a waste of money if you do it wisely and responsibly. And considering most jobs contact you via phone, through interview or whatever, you're going to end up possibly losing money from missed opportunities.

5. Well, there's nothing stupid about feeling unsafe if you go out without it. I like knowing if i get stuck somewhere, I can contact someone! I agree that relying on it is a bit much, we should all learn maths by and before we use calculators for example.

But all your reasons sound a bit silly and that you're just making excuses, have some respect for people and self control and you're fine.

I know plenty of people with smart phones (including me) who don't have these problems. Honestly, there are more benefits to smart phones but if you don't want one I'm not judging, it's your life.

I don't every go online either! jajaja

i own a smart phone because my education and business relies on it, i coordinate with my classmates for projects and thesis and am able to schedule conferences any time, i can help operate my mom's business and the website, help schedule appointments, etc.. yet, i rarely ever spend time on my phone for anything other than youtube and gag when i'm relaxing, and i'd much rather use my laptop for that since my phone doesn't last too long on a full charge if i use it all day, so no i'd much rather keep my cellphone, its convenient and as long as you don't get addicted to it very useful

in my opinion cellphones don't cut you off from the world, it open's up bigger horizons, would you rather call someone from 6000 miles away? or walk there instead?

i agree that for some people the world is cut off from you, and that's because they let their phone do that to them, all you have to do is get between them and their phone and suddenly there's a connection, no?

if you feel that your phone is stressful then you shouldn't be using it, but in my case it relieves stress, it solves all my logistic problems that i otherwise would not have fixed on time

technically i agree that it could be money spent elsewhere, but the phone i had prior to this one was the original samsung galaxy, not the S1 or later, just the galaxy, you know how old that is? and the fact that it still mostly works is every penny worth, so i decided to buy a new one expecting it to serve me just as well as my last phone if not better, and if it does 10 years from now then its money well spent

phones like computers, laptops and tablets do make people dependent, and for some it replaces mathematics and books, and while i'd gladly drop the heavy textbooks over a 1.3 pound tablet or 3 pound gaming laptop i do think that not learning math is bad, but because of technology we managed to calculate the launch trajectory and orbital path of the Apollo spacecraft, the same math that most rockets recycle over and over again today, and also math that unlocked a brand new expansive horizon for the LHC and James Webb Telescope, none of which could have even been attempted for 50 to 100 years without computer assisted mathematics

cellphones aren't the only thing that gets people addicted, computers and laptops and tablets do too, and social media even more than anything, but we're in the internet age so we need to keep up instead of getting left behind like our grand/parents often do, technology is mankind's greatest evolutionary state, as long as we don't allow technology to rule us.

This is a really good myTake, I agree with all the points made. But it's good to have a phone to use for emergency calls, it shouldn't have to be a smarphone. But in this day and age its sad how people look down on people without one or using an old smartphone. I've tried to delete all my social media as it's so distracting and time-wasting.

I need a phone but I'm not addicted to it.
    I see people around me using it 24/7 and I'm like, what the hell are you doing with your life? all you do is , checking your phone as you gonna miss something if you leave it for few minutes.
    I can and can't live without it, first of all, we sometimes need to use it to make a call, send a text message etc and it's not just for asking your friend "w'sup" sometimes it's for business , hearing from your family who lives miles away and so on...
    but the "smartphone addiction" is really bad.
    phones everywhere - normal , old fashioned conversations - nowhere.
    can we change it? probably not. until they decide for themselves that is time to leave their phone for at least couple of hours and go out and have some fun / learn to live without a phone

Mmmm yea I love my phone. Didn't get my first one till like 17-18 and it sucked.

• I have a cell phone for emergency purposes only. Literally it's the cheapest 19$ old flip phone that they don't even make any more. It pisses my friends off that I never answer it (even though I've warned every single one of them that I don't use it for social purposes, and will only answer if we're trying to meet up or something and they need directions/need to know where I am).

I spent the first practically 20 years of my life without a phone and now the same friends my age that did this can't even look at me sometimes when we meet up because they are checking this or that and not being in tune with what's around them so much so that I have saved a couple of their lives, pulling them back from being hit by cars from looking at their phones. I had one of those for about 3 years, and was exactly the same way, and knew I couldn't and didn't want to live like that, so I traded the 150$/month plan phone in for the couple of minutes a month plan that I basically don't even use. I would totally ditch it, but I have a few health issues, so I keep it for that reason alone. Good for you!

• Great Take

• LOVE iT!!! I have a blackberry with no internet access (which I hope to never have to get) because I agree, but with kids and my husband and I having such different schedules, I caved like 7years ago and got one because my husband and I worked different shifts and had to worry about childcare and who was going to be where when-lol.

• Thank you!! And yeah that makes sense, because it was necessary, but way to go for not getting internet!! :)

• Agreed. -- Typed from my smartphone.

• Okay cool for you. I just hope you don't get lost or in an accident.

Personally I can't live without my phone (s). They run my life.

• I have one for 911 purposes and I use mine like a computer. Im actually more connect to my loved ones and friends because of it. Nothing wrong with loving your cell phone.

• I own a cell phone but the first three don't apply to me. Phone booths don't exist anymore so I need a cell phone to connect with others when I need help. A cell phone can be used for a GPS. I don't feel that dependent on my phone and I barely use my phone during the day. I don't even have social media to stay on my phone. I use my cell phone whenever I'm out and need to contact people to let them know when I'm coming or if I'm stuck. I may use it to have group chats with group members for a project.

• i dont have a cell phone coz i dont have the money. I also owe 3 cell companies $$$ from when i did have a cell, but did not pay my bills until i got cut off.

I do miss not being able to take pictures and post to facebook. I do really miss not being able to just call a girlfriend when i find a great sale at the mall.

I really miss the camera part when something funny or really sexy happens.

I don't miss the constant text msgs from old bfs.

I do like the freedom of being somewhere and not having my phone ring over some stupid thing my sister wants to tell me.

But, how did people ever live life before without having a cell phone? I dont see how you can function w/o one.

I do feel emotionally and partially physically crippled not having a cell to look up maps, find the best prices, get movie times. and chill when i need to call a girlfriend.

• More from Girls
    7