So you want to ride a motorcycle?

So you want to ride a motorcycle?

For starters:

1. Take the M.S.F. (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course

- This course will allow you to learn how to properly operate a motorcycle as well as learning some emergency maneuvers with helpful tips. If you have never ridden a motorcycle it's okay, this course teaches all levels. The course is roughly $250 for 2 days in an open space. If you pass you get your certification which allows to take your M1 license test without having to partake in the DMV riding section of the test (which most people fail horribly). All that needs to be taken is a written test and you get your M1 license. This is the better option most people should take to avoid DMV riding skills test. If you take the DMV tests and pass you are still required to take the M.S.F. course and must complete within 1 year of getting your license. (United States, not sure of other countries).

2. Pick your style of riding

- Cruisers are perfect for exactly what they are called, to simply cruise. It offers comfortable body position to allow the rider to go on for hours of riding with no problems. These bikes produce a lot of low-end torque so they are quick off the line but lack high-end power and overall top speed is limited to around 135-150 mph, depending on the bike (still plenty for almost everyone).

- Sport Bikes are motorcycles capable in a few areas a cruiser is not. It generally has a higher top speed as well as acceleration in higher RPMs. Do not be confused by all Sport Bikes for there is a difference, there are the standard Sport Bike, example Kawasaki Ninja 650, Ninja 300, Honda CBR500R, CBR300R, these bikes have a more comfortable riding position with the handlebars raised higher, straightened, and the pegs are lower and more forward. They are fast and nimble, it will get you from A to B with no problems at all just like a cruiser.

- Super Sport motorcycles are the street legal racing bikes. These are race ready from the factory and made street legal by sticking a license plate holder onto it with some headlights. Example; Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, Honda CBR600RR, Yamaha R6, Suzuki GSX-R 600. These motorcycles are the main bikes that people tend to get into trouble with most due to power/weight ratio and Mid-High RPM acceleration. They pack a lot more horsepower and are tuned differently compared to your Standard Sport Bike as mentioned above. On most Super Sports you can go roughly 0-85 mph in 1st gear alone. Top Speed is limited to roughly 186 mph but has the potential to pull 200 mph (with no rev-limiter). In the powerband the bike pulls hard. A Super Sport will react to everything you tell it to do on the dime! As if it has wires soldered from the throttle to your brain. Some Sport Bikes may have a bit of delay on throttle response, but these bikes do not. They are built strictly for performance, especially on the racetrack. The stopping power is tremendous it can flip you over if you grab too much break too quick. Luckily A.B.S. (Anti-lock Braking System) is seen on more bikes these days as standard or optional. The way the frame is built, and engine block placement makes all the difference on this motorcycle, making it feel very light even though it has a curb weight of roughly 420-490 lbs give or take. If you are into extreme lean angles and speed, this is the bike for you.

- Dual Sport/Supermoto These are very fun motorcycles to ride generally because they tend to be very light and nimble, lighter than a Sport Bike, furthermore they are versatile and if you drop it then it won't hurt your wallet as much as if you ruined the factory fairings of your Sport Bike. These bikes are quick, they won't have a Top Speed like a Super Sport but that is not their purpose. Each bike has their own place. With Super Motos you can still drag knees and take corners at high speeds like a Sport Bike. Dual Sport is in the same itself and still decently fact. If you like to have a more worry-free versatile motorcycle, this isn't a bad choice at all.

3. Insurance This is a big factor that can determine which bike you are able to afford. To top it off, Super Sport motorcycles, or anything with racing as the intended purpose, will be high on the coverage list for insurance companys. Cruisers are by far the cheapest motorcycles to insure. Everything else is either decently low or right in the middle of those two extremes. You must also take into consideration prior motorvehicle accidents, traffic violations, and age when shopping for insurance. When deciding what kinds of coverage to purchase, do some research on your area and where you would normally be commuting too, in some cases, theft coverage may be valuable and so on.

Riding Position Examples:

CruiserSport Bike Super Sport

Dual Sport/Supermoto are on par with Sport Bike.

4. Shop for your bike If you are new to riding it is highly recommended you buy a smaller CC used motorcycle. You will most likely drop your first bike so if it is used then it won't matter as much as dropping a brand new bike. You will also save a lot of money buying used and can sell it once you are done with it for about 85% of what you paid for it, depending on the condition. You never know if you're actually going to enjoy riding so it is a safer better to buy a cheap used motorcycle and learn on that. Craigslist always has good deals.

5. Enjoy the fucking ride! I left out a lot information but this covers the general basics. To get more details simply ask. For all you fellow riders out there, ride safe. If you want to ask questions on riding tips and advice feel free. This is mainly about how to start getting into motorcycles with a little bit of knowledge that may help you know which direction you want to lean in.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 13

• Yea I have been riding since 14-15 years old. At the present time I'm in the market for a new one. But like @musicbrain5 says the season is short even shorter further north.

• These sport bikes are so beautiful.. 😍😍 you should have posted your own bike's pic too.. 😍😍

• I will share this with my boyfriend, he is crazy about motorcycles.

• I am planing on getting a sportster iron xl883

Is there anything I should be looking out for.

Is it a good idea to have both a car and bike or just keeo the bike as I have thought of the idea of only having a bike.

• I hear the sportsters are good bikes for women riders. never rode one myself yet. what do you mean when you say things you should be looking out for? and yeah its always nice to have a car when you need it, rainy days or grocery shopping, etc.

• As in looking out for i mean is there amy specif details i need to look for while buying a bike besides if it goes with my height and weight?

• oh yeah, if you wanna do your own maintenance then go with the Japanese bikes, they are easy to maintain on your own. if you bought something special like a Ducati then you can't do a lot of work on it, you need special Ducati factory tools, etc. also look out for what kind of bike you get because it may vary your insurance premium depending on your carrier, so for instance, how many CCs, type of bike. and also be sure to ask which bikes have higher low end torque and which ones have mid-high end power, if you get like a Yamaha FZ-09, it has a lot of low-end torque meaning right off the line you will take off quick, but if you got a sport bike like an R6, it won't be as grabby off the line as the FZ-09 but when you hit like 8k-10k RPMs its gonna pull super hard you might fall off so know where you want your powerband to be and then ask which bikes suit you. also consider riding position, being comfortable is very important.

• I absolutely love motorcycles. I would rather have a nice one then a nice car.

• that is awesome! not to mention the gas you save, less environmental pollution, you can park on sidewalks :) not legally unless its private property and you have permission hahaa. and its also a really fun hobby :)

• What model would you suggest to a 5'2 short person who wants to ride a sport bike?

• is performance a big factor to you? mainly in terms of speed and stopping power.

• I've never felt sleepy on a motorcycle but its happened to other riders already, they fell asleep at the handlebars, but that number is extremely low!

• Sweet take bro! I'm surprised you wrote one up. I thought it was something you were going to do sooner or later. Hopefully this will help the peeps who want to start riding!

Should make another myTake about the gear bro..

• I'll expand it to many categories hahaa. ima keep them specific about the topics, i was kinda veering off on each category in this one and realized i wouldn't have enough room to fit it all in so im gonna stay on point for the other ones lol.

• Lol there is bloody more man? Holy moley!

Hit me up when you do the other ones lol

• So if you're visiting the states do you need to pass the first thing you said or just have an international licence or a licence from your home country?

• I tried looking this information up and it was too broad of a search. i assume if you have a license from your own country that may be enough to ride on public roads but all you need to do is ask the DMV and they will tell you if you need to take any prerequisite courses or not.

• Oh ok, Thank you

• Gotta add some ape hangers to look reeaaal cool

• I love motorcycles but knowing me I'm way too clumsy to use one. I wouldn't mind riding in the back of one in the meantime.

• we're all clumsy at first although there are some people who were basically born riding lol. trust me riding on the back is just as much fun :D my friends always have a blast.

• Good take. Motorcycles are cook but they aren't that practical at all where I live because it's typical downtown city traffic so you can't just cruise, it's fucking stop and go and you can only do 50 or 60 at the most on a good day anyways. It takes a while to be fully licensed (M1, M2, then finally M and I believe you have to have a drivers license as well) but it's not hard to achieve, and you can really only ride for 5 or 6 months of the year (but pay a full year of insurance lol).

I wouldn't mind riding with someone who's a good rider (not an idiot in other words), but I don't think I will ever get my own bike. Most people don't ride in the winter here (too cold and they're probably not good in snow) so I'd have to find storage for it as well.

I think my dad would freak if I got one, although he has a good reason for it.

• I remember your stories about motorcycles :D yeah im not sure if they allow lane splitting in Canada, im happy I can in my state. and yes the winter gets cold for y'all for like half of the year right? so that is a definite factor. everything you said makes perfect sense :) buuut I hope maybe one day, if you can't ride your own then you can ride on the back of your husband. those Canadian countryside roads must be so nice.

• You gotta drive for like 4 hours to reach decent country highways. It's different out west though. And no my husband would never ride one especially after hearing all my dad's stories, lol. I still feel safer in a car even after a couple of serious collisions.

I'm not sure what lane splitting is.

• I probably could never rode a motorcycle, I'm just way too stupid that way but, I always wanted a bf that did! So fucking cool!

• Thsi MyTake is extremely awesome! I have one Q: Do you think a Honda Rebel would be a good size for someone who is only 5'1?

What Guys Said 26

• Hey man I like ur take. Can you checkout my motorcycle take?

• Most sexy beginner bike: KTM RC390
    Easiest repairs:Honda 300
    Quickest beginner bike:KTM RC390
    Most comfortable beginner bike:Kawasaki Ninja 300
    Most hated beginner bike:Motorized bicycle
    Most practical beginner bike:Kawasaki Ninja H2 I recommend as the best

• I'm more of a cruiser. I got my license 5 years ago, and I ride every now and then.

• cruisers are cool, I want one eventually. but I wanna go with like a V-Rod or if I have to go Japanese then ill get like a Kawasaki Vulcan or something, they look badass.

• same, a Harley will suffice. the Japanese will be my cheap alternative lol.

• Right now, I don't have the time or money to do it. In the meantime, I ride a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard/Savage. If only I can add a biker chick on my bike, I'd be peachy.

• awesome article Bert.👍👍
    keep up the good work. .

Is that you on that white Ninja?

• thanks man, and no none of those pictures contain me hahaa. just pulled them from the internet.

• I am inheriting a Harley Davidson Night Train when I get my motorcycle license. Would this be considered a cruiser? Also, how easy/difficult is riding a motorcycle? I have heard it isn't very hard, and I can't wait until I can, but I was just wondering

• hey. I looked up the specs, that bike is a 1500CC and it is considered a cruiser so for 1500CC you're gonna get a lot of low-end torque, meaning trouble on the throttle if you pull too hard and dump the clutch. you'll probably wheelie actually. it shouldn't be too hard to handle though if you know yourself well and keep a cool mind every time you ride. remember just always give it a little bit of throttle and release the clutch slowly until you get used to all that power. when you're out on the highway just open her up at like 60 mph and feel how much power she has. it seems like a lot of power but if you're responsible and don't have a deathwish you should be fine. my friend started on a 1100CC and he's perfectly fine.

• Thanks for the insight

• Nice Take. I think its important to note that having proper motorcycle gear is important. My brother, even though I constantly warned him, thought it would be cool to do stunts on the highway, which eventually lead him to crash. Don't be stupid while ridin peeps. I feel in love with riding while on vacation and want to being that same joy back here, its a shame that ridin season here is only 6 months long.

:-(

• 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!

• I see how you listed the Ninja first under the SS section ;)

#TeamNinja, checking in and repping loud!

• Remember... keep the shiny side up!

• I would ride but people are such stupid drivers I would think they would hit me lol.

• riders deal with that everyday lol. I make fun out of it though, I record stupid people with my GoPro then put it on YouTube xD

• yes i want to cbr 600rr :)

• @BertMacklinFBI They look like a ton of fun but not something I want to "try" now that I have kids.

• DO I RIDE? NO

WILL I RIDE ONE DAY? YES

WHAT WILL I RIDE? THIS:

i.dailymail.co.uk/.../RIDER151207_468x516.jpg

RIDE OR DIEEEEEEEEEEE

www.trip.me/.../...t-of-Motorcycle-Maintenance.jpg

• I don't get the first point - what is that needed for? What you learn in driving school should be enough, isn't it?
    Except for that, that's an good take.
    Always wanted to ride a motorcycle, already did on a friend's one sometimes, but well, still in need of a license in order to drive outside of private property.

• ahh okay I see, well the first point is mainly for residents of the U. S. we are required to take the M. S. F. course along with getting our license to ride a motorcycle on public roads. yes on private property you do not need a license to ride one. actually im pretty sure you can do almost anything you want on private property lol, so long as its not disturbing the public around you I think.

• This is probably the best take I've read so far. Also, I've decided this well be my midlife crisis. Lol

• I'm most certainly interested into getting into riding, but that will be another year when I'm 20. My parents may not support it (full race suits make you virtually indestructible, mom and dad), but my uncle (HUGE Honda fan) and cousin do. I work at a biker bar so I get to see motorcycles all the time, but they're usually just Harley's so it's nothing special.

I'll probably just start off with a used 250cc sport bike and invest in some good leathers. I'd be riding for fun and on occasion commuting. You can't go super fast in the traffic where I live anyways so 250cc is more than enough. I can ride 8 months out of the year here in the South so that's plenty of time to learn. Then I'll eventually upgrade to a 600cc and stay there. A Kawasaki Sex6 would probably do me well.

In the meantime I'll just continue to wch hilarious videos of bikers yelling at dumbass drivers on YouTube. I actually have started to check over my shoulder while merging and give myself plenty of braking distance because of how much bikers have shown it improves your safety and the safety of others.

• 20 will be a fun year for you. your parents concern is good in my opinion. too many stories of parents trusting their kids and buys them a brand new R6 and they end up roadkill in the next 25 minutes. so sad. in my opinion smart move starting off on a 250 and its true you really don't need more power than that, you'll always be well ahead of traffic 99% of the time. not to mention major MPG.

• Great take! Except no love for nakeds! Lol Most non riders are baffled by the concept of counter steering. "What do you mean you push left to go right?"

• hahaa I only have my eyes set on a few nakeds :D i don't mind if they don't agree with counter-steering because the body naturally does it but im baffled too when they say learning what counter-steering is is pointless, im like really? lol. knowledge is power bruh.

• Nakeds are so the "in thing here"

• @misscoffeehead I rode naked before it was cool.

• How are insurance and maintenance costs on standard sports bikes?

• for a standard sport bike, its not too bad, depending on your personal driving record though. some insurance companies, all they see is the word sport bike and judge off that, Alstate quotes you based on how much CCs you have, each carrier has their own way. but lets say you're a good apple, then generally its not so bad at all. if you're 25 or above ( I think it was) then your premium will be cheaper. maintenance is decent and easy being that you can do most of it yourself such as oil changes, chain clean/lube, cleaning the air filter, etc. doing all of the small things yourself will save loads of money from major maintenance if you take it to dealers. average cost of an oil change though, roughly $100 give or take. you will pay for labor, oil filter and oil.

• Well I'm a university student who works a part time job, so I'm just curious if it's an investment I could afford to maintain.

• there is a very cheap way to do this, many will not commend it but it depends on the circumstances really. cheapest option, buy a used 250 as a commuter and purchase liability only, your yearly premium would be about $220. and worst case scenario if you crash your bike, well good thing it was used and you only bought it for around $2,000. hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

• I live in the UK (hence my name) and took my CBT when I was 16, thats has to be retaken every 2 years if you dont pass your full test and allows you to ride upto a 125cc (from 17 onwards, 50cc at 16). I took it 3 times and then passed for my direct access course when I was 22 which was pretty involved as there was a hazard perception theory and 2 parts to the practical. Then moved on to owing a Suzuki SV650 which was an awesome all rounder and one hell of a step up from a CBR125, took my test on a cb500 or er5/6 not sure which. Initiall I opted for the SVs but the riding position was uncomfortable after a while so switched to the more upright standard SV.
    My mum owns a Triumph Street Triple and my step dad has a CBR1000.
    P. S I no longer have a bike at the moment.

One thing i'd like to point out is that super sport bikes are NOT in any way race ready from the factory, they are replicas of the racing versions, yet are heavily restricted and dont come with the extreme weight saving measures and mods that the likes of Rossi and co uses.

• yeah they aren't "track ready" and suspension still needs to be setup, guess I was very vague hahaa. they basically have everything you would need to go on a racetrack is what I meant. tuning and setup is all up to the rider. the restrictions aren't bad at all for factory conditions, you can still take it to the track and have a blast. now for an all out enthusiast and track maniac, yes of course he/she is going to want to mod and change everything on that bike before taking it to the track. but it is still a capable bike straight off the line.

I want a triumph speed triple. its a cool bike.

• might as well get @misscoffeehead in here lol

• More from Guys
    6