Why do people hate atheists?

Atheists dont really do anything wrong so why are people so mean to us? I really try to be the nicest person i can be and people seriously won't talk to me because im diffrent. Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• I hate all extremists. I have no problem with having a belief, but when it goes so far as to protesting people being able to put a nativity scene out on their lawn during Christmas, you're not an atheist, you're just an asshole.

It's the same as the Christians who go around saying that we need a Bible class in school. Do whatever the fuck makes sense for you, if what you believe keeps you from stabbing me at the ATM, I don't care. But don't try to make everyone else think like you, it's impossible.

What Guys Said 18

• The devout hate atheists and agnostics because we are growing in number and devout are not. One day, the world will be rid of the tyranny of religion. No amount of religious terrorism, proselytizing, evangelizing, or anything else will impede the progress made by technology enabling the free flowing of ideas; ideas which erode provincial attitudes fostered by religion.

• There is a perception that atheists are vehemently anti people of faith but that is not the case. I am an atheist and have no problem with people of faith.

• They are... gasp..."Others."

The biggest reason is that people have the sad belief that believing in a higher being equates with being a moral person. Put another way, it's impossible to be a good, moral person without believing in God.

Obviously, that's a pernicious belief. Yet that seems to be the primary reason.

• Minorities are always picked on.
    If you came to sweden it would be the opposite. People would find you to be a bit strange for being religious.

• Throughout history, mankind tends to dislike people different than themselves. Something that will probably never actually change.

• i'm an atheist although there r some atheists that go 2 far :)

• I'm actually really good friends with a guy who is a atheist. I could care less about that because a person can be nice or a jerk regardless of their personal belief. I can't say why people act that way towards you but I wouldn't cause its not right.

• I love Atheists! They have been my favourite people.

• I think people have more of a problem with the haughty, in-your-face ones. Sort of like how evangelizing, judgmental religious folk earn a bad rap for others. Generally speaking, nobody likes to be hassled for their beliefs.

• I don't hate anyone because of their religion or lack there of. It's completely your choice which religion if any you want to practice

• I don't know anyone that hates atheists!

• It's just threatens the beliefs of religious people

• because most of them are not nice, they make fun other peoples beliefs and lifestyle

• People see Atheists as evil people. We really are not. We just don't believe in a higher power. Christian's and alike just don't want to understand anything apart from their religion, if anything, we are the nice ones.

• because your' aall anorexic, liberal homo and lgbt fascists trying to destrooy society and mankind with your science and intelligene

• Racism is flowing

• speaking for myself, i don't hate anyone because of their beliefs, i am neutral about it all it doesn't affect me in anyway, it doesn't change my choices everyone can be whatever they want and that's it muslim, atheist, christian, jewish... etc i don't care treat me with respect i'd treat you with respect and that's it

• why are people so mean too
    jews
    christians
    muslims
    arabs
    etc
    probably the main reason is that believing in nothing is stupid at this point, you're 23 you should see a pattern too life, pretty much everything as a relationship with something
    so when people hear someone say ohhh im atheist most people look at them like damn this person doesn't study he/she is dumb, also that's what children say when there young and don't search for answer, once you're older you have to search for answers

• But many atheist have searched for answers. And they have tried different religions. And one thing that stand out is that each religion says the others are wrong and that they have the only right answers. Yet most of the answers can not be proven, but are taken on faith. And often that faith is based on misinterpretation of whatever holy book you read. So rather than just picking a religion and saying "okay, this is what I am going to believe", atheists come to the conclusion that no matter what religion you look at, more people are on the outside of that religion than believe it. So with most people believing that any one religion is wrong, it is not stupid to avoid aligning with it.

Most atheist have looked closer than most believers.

• does the religion line up with history
      it has to line up with history and you have to be able to prove through history
      cause we can make all the assumptions we want but when we have the proof
      and the history to back up the proof people can deny it but its right in front of there face
      so there lying to themselves

What Girls Said 8

• Because, like with any group, some atheists can be aggressive and disrespectful, so other people will occasionally decide to shun ALL atheists. I know it sucks, I've lost friends because they found out I'm an atheist. Not even kidding, that's the only reason. My behavior didn't change, I never made comments about religion, they just discovered that I didn't believe in their God (usually because someone else told them) and they stopped talking to me.

It weeds out the jerks, at least.

Just keep being the nicest person you can be. Prove with your own behavior that we're not so bad, encourage people to treat each other with respect, and hopefully you'll be able to avoid most of the people who would shun you for your lack of belief.

• Also, some people are raised believing that atheists have no morals, because we're godless, and therefore we shouldn't be associated with. Those people tend to assume we're evil without actually knowing us. That's their business though, why bother spending time on them anyway?

• I agree.
    I find half of the people who claim to hold onto religious faith to be the most judgmental ever.

• I agree and pretty much all my friends are Catholics and they are the most judgmental, rude, and self centered people i know.

• Same reason people hate Christians I guess, they picture atheists/Christians as people trying to shove their believes down the others throats.
    Which is true lol, I love debating why I think my beliefs are right :)

• I don't hate them.

• Some atheists are mean and snobbish to people so those people just feel like all or most of you look down on them.

Gotta give people a chance

• Because you all believe that your non beliefs are correct and try to persuade believers that their thinking is incorrect. I don't see a difference in religious people doing this and atheist's. Yeah I'm dating an atheist lol. Been there, did that

• People are ignorant.
    Anyone who refuses to think that anyone else could be right, is ignorant.
    We don't know. We won't until we die.

• It's cause some religious people either think we're going to try and disprove their religion and be judgmental because of their religion, or they think we're satan cause we don't believe in god. But that's not all religious people. Religious people are often judged too sadly