Is calling someone sweetie during an argument condescending?

• Yes
    85% (17)88% (29)87% (46)Vote
  • No
    15% (3)12% (4)13% (7)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
10|13

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Using silly pet names like that is denigrating the value of them and their viewpoints.

1|0
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It's an attempt to belittle you during the argument and tons of people I've argued with do this lmao it's pretty passive aggressive but whatevs, I don't let that shit get to me. I'll often call them out on it actually.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• Sure it is sweetie.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah in that instant it's really condescending. Just trying to make you even more mad.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sweetie = Bitch
    That's how I see it at least especially when they put their hands together and lean forward lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how you say it. It is condescending if you say it sarcastically. It isn't if you say it compassionately. Same thing goes with words like sweetheart.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure is... Mostly cuz its complete sarcasm

1|0
    0|0
  • Usually call em sugar when I wanna calm em down baha

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends it can be, or it can be a tactic to calm your hot ass down :P

1|0
    0|0
  • That would actually turn me on. It'll go from arguing to sex within a few seconds

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how you say it and how intense the argument is, sweetie :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.
    That's why I use it.

0|1
    0|0
  • oh yes it does

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup. I recall some feminazi saying that to Milo Yiannopoulos in a debate (or something along those lines, maybe "dear" or "darling"). So he started using it back and everyone flipped out that HE was being sexist, not her.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Lol. It can be seen as such. Sometimes when that was done to me though I felt that that was how that person usually spoke. I determined that by the tone of their words.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not sure how i would take that!

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.
    /////

1|0
    0|0
  • yes. if you aren't significantly older than me or my dad, NEVER CALL ME SWEETIE.

1|0
    0|0
  • Incredibly. So is darling, which is why I use it so often.

0|1
    0|0
  • Oh, it most definitely is. The person obviously doesn't think she or he is sweet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is!

0|0
    0|0
  • Calling someone 'sweetie' in general is condescending.

0|1
    0|1
  • My brother does this to his highly educated wife and I want to smack him. Even his tone is condiscending but he is not aware of it.

1|0
    0|0