Is calling someone sweetie during an argument condescending?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Using silly pet names like that is denigrating the value of them and their viewpoints.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's an attempt to belittle you during the argument and tons of people I've argued with do this lmao it's pretty passive aggressive but whatevs, I don't let that shit get to me. I'll often call them out on it actually.

What Guys Said 12

• Sure it is sweetie.

• Yeah in that instant it's really condescending. Just trying to make you even more mad.

• Sweetie = Bitch
    That's how I see it at least especially when they put their hands together and lean forward lol

• Depends on how you say it. It is condescending if you say it sarcastically. It isn't if you say it compassionately. Same thing goes with words like sweetheart.

• Sure is... Mostly cuz its complete sarcasm

• Usually call em sugar when I wanna calm em down baha

• Depends it can be, or it can be a tactic to calm your hot ass down :P

• That would actually turn me on. It'll go from arguing to sex within a few seconds

• Depends on how you say it and how intense the argument is, sweetie :)

• Yes.
    That's why I use it.

• oh yes it does

• Yup. I recall some feminazi saying that to Milo Yiannopoulos in a debate (or something along those lines, maybe "dear" or "darling"). So he started using it back and everyone flipped out that HE was being sexist, not her.

What Girls Said 9

• Lol. It can be seen as such. Sometimes when that was done to me though I felt that that was how that person usually spoke. I determined that by the tone of their words.

• I am not sure how i would take that!

• Yes.
    /////

• yes. if you aren't significantly older than me or my dad, NEVER CALL ME SWEETIE.

• Incredibly. So is darling, which is why I use it so often.

• Oh, it most definitely is. The person obviously doesn't think she or he is sweet.

• Yes it is!

• Calling someone 'sweetie' in general is condescending.

• My brother does this to his highly educated wife and I want to smack him. Even his tone is condiscending but he is not aware of it.