Whats your view on plus sized models?

I feel like nowadays its almost compulsory to accept everyone around you in a positive and constructive way, which I feel to be correct. The issue I see in this movement is the plus sized modeling craze at the moment.

Listen, I'm not saying that if you are plus sized you're gross and that you should feel bad, I'm saying that advertising companies are unnecessarily shoving the acceptance of extreme obesity down children's throats.

I mean come on, can't we teach children to be healthy instead of strive for 'sexy'(in both extremes)? Not long ago (maybe two years) I had an obese friend who was often called 'perfect' and 'sexy' by other teenagers our age. It came to a point that I, with a healthy bmi of about 20, was being body shamed for being too skinny because, which not even my boyfriend argued because that would be making our overweight friends feel bad or something.

If people cannot speak out about their beliefs because of others feelings, can one say that this is bullshit?

Look at Tess Holiday, she looks to me to be morbidly obese. If anyone can say that this is what we should be striving for, I fear for the generations to come.

Everyone reading this can you please remember that everyone is beautiful, no matter their sizes, just a recap: people should teach others to aspire to be healthy and not fat.

And yes I know this is a shit thing to right about and it makes me sound stupid, but hey, freedom of speech right? :)

Most Helpful Guy

• They're generally disgusting, and almost all of them would look better thinner.

Most Helpful Girl

• Plus size model is a VERY vague term.

This is what Calvin Klein considers a Plus Size model...

i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...ge-m-56_1418756118379.jpg

And then we have models such as this
    3o2fkh3cei6g217eh13mgw0p.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/.../georgiapratt.jpg

which is what I would consider a Plus Size model because she represents normal shaped plus size girls. She has a wonderful shape but she's also a bigger girl, a perfectly normal looking human.

And then you have this

i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...ge-m-63_1459543778500.jpg

which to me is JUST as bad as the hideously underweight anorexic looking models. This is not a positive body image to portray. This woman must find it difficult to find clothes because she isn't really very human shaped anymore. I'm all for feeling good about yourself and feeling confident but don't pretend you're healthy and normal and something others should aspire to. This is NOT healthy, it isn't normal. Normal humans have definition between body parts. I'm really glad that she's happy but I don't think it's a healthy image and she certainly doesn't do a very effective job of making clothes look good, which if I'm mistaken is the whole point of being a model? You model things to make them look appealing...

What Guys Said 45

• Disgusting. Wouldn't be surprised if they had more 'touch up' / 're-work' done in post production to make them worthwhile.

Everyone is NOT beautiful. Don't gobble down that bullshit from Tess Munster. Someone with a BMI over 40 is NOT going to be beautiful.

• Why are women so triggered

• There's down votes on every post who disagrees with chubby chasing. I bet the females on GAG make up most of the fatties on this website. What's wrong with them can't these women stop eating for 5mins lol

• Can't they stop*

• An oxymoron. You can't be a "plus sized" model anymore than there can be a square triangle. Being overweight is not attractive nor is it something to be proud of. What the few plus sized "models" out there like Ashley Graham don't realize is that they are affirmative action. The only reason modeling companies are giving them opportunities is to meet a quota. They figure if they let one or two fatties in for the sake of political correctness, they won't have to let the rest of them in. And for good reason to, because the vast majority of men do not find being overweight attractive anymore than women find a short man attractive. Until I see Larry the Cable Guy shirtless in Cosmopolitan or Michael Moore as the leading actor in a Titanic-like film, I will never agree with the cultural Marxist fat-acceptance movement, where fatties are trying to overtake men's media by throwing Ashley Graham in the SI swimsuit issue.

• Hey, watch your mouth!

• Yeah, I'm done talking to you. Good day.

• @JRICHARDS1996 She had my comment deleted. Do you think it's because she's triggered or because she actually weighs 500 pounds and this topic struck a nerve?

• Some of them are overweight, and showing off overweight people is somewhat odd as an ideal of beauty.

But typical model look is too twig-like, so that's odd as an ideal of beauty as well.

I just think modelling agencies seem to have no taste for actually finding beautiful women with a proper body type.

• They're models, not beauty queens. Models are there to be good models, not beautiful. They are there to make clothes look good. Somehow we got confused and started seeing them as the ideal beautiful woman.

• @TakeMaker Maybe that's the problem, I expect them to be attractive

I tend to forget they're modelling the clothes, not themselves, I guess :P

• Well they're supposed to be selling a "look" aren't they, but the people designing the look think women who look like they're dying make their clothes look nicer.

• all women have their own unique beauty. One of my crushes in the past was on Camryn Manheim
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...cc891020e9.jpg

• "its almost compulsory to accept everyone around you in a positive and constructive way, which I feel to be correct"
    That is not correct. If you can't tell the difference between right and wrong, how will you recognize wrong?

If someone is fat, it is wrong to tell her she looks good.

"remember that everyone is beautiful, no matter their sizes"
    That is not correct either. Obese women are disgusting. They have harmed themselves, and a friend would call them out on it, to encourage them to lose weight, not to "feel good about themselves".

All progress has occurred from people trying to better themselves.

• it goes from one extreme to another and its just stupid and above all sexist. do you see any plus size male models? no only female ones. its sexist to say that fat women can be sexy but not fat men.

• There are plus size male models now. =)

• its disgusting isn't it, that when a mans overweight it's unacceptable and they need to lose weight but when a woman's overweight she should love herself and anyone who says otherwise are terrible people.

• Agreed @anonman32

• I don't have any views on + sized models or - sized models or square root sized models because I don't care about models at all. They, their job and their reputation are a complete non-issue for me. I don't concern myself with society's views on models. Don't see why I should? It's just a job they chose after all.

• Fat is fat, no matter show much the obese feminist dyed-red-spiked-hair swamp beasts try to call it anything else.

• You spelled fat/overweight wrong.
    Its used to describe everything in between normal and morbidly obese, a 'rose' by any other name. Tess Holiday is like 300 pounds.. Just no.
    Some girls with a 'bit' of extra weight look fine, she's literally morbidly obese.

• That they're both good and bad. Good because they help women accept themselves. Bad because they're also promoting being unhealthy, even tho that's not the intention. They're saying, " you're unhealthy. But that's ok! That's just the way you are! You can't change who you are! You are beautiful".

Some of these women are hot, but reeeeally let themselves go in their downtime. As opposed to other models that tend to stay fit year round and when they let themselves go it's really not bad. Cut 10-15 lbs and they're back in photo shape. I'm not saying standard VS model is better, but there are certain in between models that fit the bill. Girls like Sara underwood are sexy as hell and look far from starved. I prefer the "give a damn" look.

• I'm fine with their existence. Non issues.

• Its fine as long as they aren't advertising that being unhealthy is okay.. That goes towards the disturbingly scrawny people as well.

• Ewwww they have clogged arteries lol. Boner killer.

• It's kind of disappointing that being fat is basically becoming "normal". I'm pretty sure that in age ranges >30 it's the majority in the US. I don't really care so much about plus size models as much as I care about how everyone must be eating shitty food and sitting on their couches watching netflix instead of doing things. That part of it is depressing.

• I prefer not to view so-called 'plus sized models' at all when I can avoid it. This is usually pretty easy to do. This whole fat acceptance thing will correct itself, likely with a whole lot of congestive heart failure, diabetes and destroyed knees. Even Melissa McCarthy whose entire 'comedy' career consists mostly of fat jokes has been trying to lose weight.

It's nothing to strive for. People used to admire models because they sacrificed a lot to look the way they did. How much sacrifice does it take to shovel a gallon of ice cream into Tess Holliday's face?

• You can be chubby and still look beautiful

• chubby implies being healthy though

• I think plus sized models are suitable for modeling plus sized clothing, which is ok. But they shouldn't propagate the idea that fat=sexy

• Being overweight is not ok. I don't care if that's "mean". It's unhealthy and wrong to promote to anyone at all.

• It is a farce, what can I say.
    But on the other hand, I believe that if you let your lifestyle choices be influenced by crap like that, your intellectual capacity is at a level that already makes you irrelevant in my eyes.

• Women of all sizes are fine if they are healthy.
    It's cool that young girls now have a range of beauty to look to instead of one extreme.

"people should teach others to aspire to be healthy and not fat. "

Fat does not always mean unhealthy. There are skinny people I know who are unhealthy.
    It's about physical activity and diet.
    WWE wrestler, The Big Show, is a BIG man, and way over the BMI range for health, BUT he is probably more healthy than most users here.

• I agree with you. But i think the people who are slightly chubbier but still healthy are ok. I don't want anyone to have health problems.

• i like smaller, more fit girls... I've tried both and smaller girls are much better in bed in my opinion

• The downvote is funny lmao

• @SoAddicted i know.. lemme guess, its a fat chick who calls herself 'thick' so she can feel better

• Attraction is key in a healthy relationship. I want to emphasize healthy... If you even get that far. Dating is hard when you're plus sized.

• its meghan trainor syndrome... personally i think she is shit

• plus size models are soo damn hot

• Plus sized models can do whatever they want. I just dont like their look. But that doesn't make me hate them. Just prefer to see normal sized models.

• i guess its a confidence booster for some people to show that no matter your weight you can be deemed attractive by some people I don't know

• I don't give a fuck about models regardless of their size

• They are real people, There are more plus sized ladies than thin, Honestly, I prefer a lady with meat on her bones.

• There's overweight and unhealthy but then there's girls who are just built that way, so long as their not big and unhealthy I don't know what would be wrong about it

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 47

• Yeah, hate to sound PC, but it isn't the media's job to parent your children. If you're relying on the media to portray only the most ideal body types as a means of teaching your children what is or isn't healthy, you're a failure as a parent.

Plus sized models exist not to promote an unhealthy lifestyle, it's to appeal to a market of plus sized individuals who would buy the products they are wearing. Sure, they teach you about self love, but that doesn't mean your kids are going to assume they need to get fat to love themselves. That's where you step in as a parent.

As a parent, it's YOUR JOB alone to say: "Loving yourself is okay, but this is how you take care of yourself." It's also the job of the educational system to teach your children about health and physical education. It isn't up to vogue.

So the whole "plus size models teach people it's okay to be fat" spiel is a crock of flawed logic.

• If that's the case, then would you say the same thing about "underweight" models and the feminists who complain that they teach people it is okay to be overly skinny?

If you answer No, then you are a hypocrite.

• Asker I think you could learn something if yo actually took the time to read the entire conversation because you missed the point entirely.

• Yeah I agree. If anything, I never once accommodated overweight models or said that fatness is acceptable let alone 'sexy.' I only spoke out against extraordinarily unhealthy extremes on both sides. I still prefer thin women and believe that the vast majority of men do as well.

• *Some* plus sized models are healthy some aren't. Some regular models are healthy, some aren't. If you're gonna preach health, modeling isn't the right business to be aiming it towards. Personally I do strive to be like Tess Holiday because although she is obese she's still doing what she wants and isn't letting her weight hold her back. I look up to her not because of her weight but because of her attitude

• i agree 100%

• she has a great attitude, yes. But on the other hand, its better to be healthy than to be morbidly obese? Tess Holliday encourages people to almost forget what health is.

• I mean just doing a simple google search and you can see that she clearly knows she's fat and that she's okay with being unhealthy. Not the best morals, but she never recommends it. It is better to be healthy, but she does what she does.

You could say the same thing about Beyonce. Waaaayy more people look up to her yet her entire relationship and affairs are in an album for the world to see. Now, that doesn't look very appropriate for a mother or even anyone. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't put on a number (or multiple) about my cheating husband for my kid to see in the future.. But hey people still love her so it's okay right? Or even thin models or smoke or use laxatives or whatever. Both sides of modeling aren't great or a lot of other matters

• I don't really care if the media wants to push plus-sized models. They're doing it for a reason, because overweight women buy products, too.

I'm really fit and fanatical about keeping fat off my body, but I don't despise women who are overweight or not as dedicated as me. Why dislike someone for how she looks? What good does that do? No one said that being overweight is the pinnacle, they're just saying that it's okay to be fat because your weight does not define who you are as a person.

• I don't dislike her, and i wouldn't ever hate someone who I've never met and dont actually know who they are as a person and so forth. Its just that her movement is all about how you shouldn't give a fuck about how your body looks, which is great if you're healthy or at least trying to be, which this type of plus sized models have failed to mention in their campaign.

• I think deep down most plus-sized women want to be fit. I don't believe for a moment that they really enjoy being overweight. One of my besties is about 40 pounds overweight, and she's also fairly short, which makes her extra weight seem like even more. She's very confident in herself, but she's told me that she's envious of my body because I'm so fit. She wants to lose weight but just struggles to do so for a lot of reasons. She rocks how she looks, but there's no question she'd kill to be fit. So it's not like she tells herself that being overweight is a great thing, it's just that she accepts how she looks just so she's not living in a state of self-loathing all the time.

I get what you're saying about health, seriously. I literally *hate* having fat on my body, but I think larger girls should feel good about themselves even if they can't wear a size 2.

• Models should only be what The average dress size statistics in a country

UK is size 12-14 unsure about America or any other countries
    A 12-14 would be about beyonces/jlos stature

Models that are to thin are just as bad as obese model they are not role models for the general population in my opinion..
    Havin a sister that's big she always wanting to lose weight etc and with that health problems as well, I do not think bigger models are role models they are encouraging young girls not to lose weight that they need to to retain good health
    Same applies to thin models they are bad we have girls starvin themselves

• I fully agree, people should love their bodies for the way it is. But promoting obesity (such as Tess Holliday) is terrible, and that's why America is known as "The fat country". It's ridiculous.
    Thin/Healthy/Husky/Fluffy/Damn/Oh HAIL no

You don't love yourself if you get to the fluffy category. You can say it all you want, but you truly don't. Because if you let yourself get to that point, where you don't take good enough care of yourself, it's disgusting. Tess Holliday is truly appalling. Along with other morbidly obese "plus size models". Chubby is fine to me in my opinion, as long as you're healthy, but morbidly obese is just sad. No one should be promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. There's a reason why everyone promoted being skinny for the longest time: it's because it's healthier. Grant it, anorexia is just as dangerous as being morbidly obese, and that shouldn't be promoted either. Your organs shut down 1 by 1 with either condition. I see it happen with my mother. Fix yourself so you CAN love yourself.

• I agree.

But I also believe there is a place for them and they are needed.
    Take Tess as an example.
    Yes I agree she is obese and it shouldn't be encouraged to look like her. But the fact of the matter is there are people out there who do look like her, whether it's a medical condition or gluttony or whatever. If you had a clothing company that specialised in plus size clothes, what bugs me the most is when they use a skinny model. NO!!! People who are a larger size want to see how that clothing will fall on a bigger person. So in this example, yes, I want to see Tess modelling that dress with her huge arse rather than a skinny Victoria Secret model.

I think it's good to encourage plus size modelling. Everyone wishes they were thinner or buffer or whatever, but with something like clothing, we all have to wear it and just because it looks nice on a size 00 rake doesn't mean it will on someone who enjoys eating a sandwich.

• I have no problem with plus size models. It makes more sense for plus size models to model plus size clothing than regular models.

The problem is that people have jumbled issues of health and beauty together. Health and beauty are two separate things. Confidence and feeling good about yourself is important for everyone. Shaming should not be tolerated. But to say that being significantly overweight is okay because it's beautiful is bizarre, since there's no connection between the two. It's all fine when you're young, but as you get older, obesity impact your health and your body will put up a fight as you try to lose it.

• I am sorry but that thing about everyone beeing beautiful is bullshit. Of course everyone is beautiful to someone but not to everybody.
    Besides overweight is not healthy so I don't think it should have a marketing for that. You can be beautiful like that just belive! And then they die cause od diabetes or heart desease.
    I don't agree with showing those wemen that seem like they have eaten once in a week like what you should be either but pluz sized models are just a very stupid idea.

• I think that plus size models fill a very necessary space. When I was growing up, I never saw plus size women being portrayed as attractive. Stupid, unhygienic, overbearing, and rude. But never beautiful, clever, or interesting. Then I hit puberty, and I went from having a "normal" weight to being considered eighty pounds over weight. I struggled with my weight and my body image for years. It wasn't until I discovered Tess Holiday that I realized that "big" women could be beautiful too. Should we be striving to be overweight? No, but we should be striving to love ourselves at any size.

• Tess Holiday is both dangerously unhealthy and delusional. She doesn't think of herself as morbidly obese but if we look at her bmi she falls under the severely morbidly obese category bordering class three (the greatest level in obesity). It's also very obvious her BMI isn't skewed by muscle mass or height either so this woman is the picture of death not the picture of sexy. It's impossible for this weight to be healthy because obesity within itself is a disease.

• I think the morbidly obese ones are not great... for society in general and for just themselves...
    But the chubby ones, or even just the big boned ones are hot. =)

static2.stuff.co.nz/.../9862129_600x400.jpg

She's plus sized... and I don't think she's chubby or fat in any way. And she's hot!

• technically, plus sized doesn't mean fat. 'Normal' models are so skinny because the sizes that they wear are what first get shipped or are easier to ship or something along those lines. These sizes are usually size 4 give or take. Plus sized is anything from like size 8 and up

• I totally agree with you Chica. I have also been a victim of skinny shaming and believe me it isn't nice to hear people talk about how your body looks 'like an skeleton'
    Thankfully I have changed my friends and now my friends think I have a nice body lol
    Truthfully I think that telling people to you gotta put some weight on or off.. Is just impolite. Why not tell them to be more healthy? What's wrong with being healthy instead of focusing just on your 'weight' in an obsessive manner..
    People should seriously wake up dude.

• Thin will always be beautiful and the most desired by guys. Believe me. The media, fat women, and effeminate beta males are lying to you. Deep down every man prefers thinner women. I know too well the struggle thin women endure after witnessing my mother endure it for so long.

• @JRICHARDS1996 you're right. I have only seen some middle aged men like 'thick' woman. Otherwise not many people like them.
      99 percent of the time, it's one girl criticising the appearance of another girl just cause -sighs-

• I don't mind plus size models. I think Tessa is beautiful. I don't think that these models are promoting anything other than self love. Many will disagree and that is fine.

• I get what you mean. But it's just trying to level out the fact a lot of mannequins are stick thin. And it's trying to get a mix of both

• Plus size models are fulfilling an important niche. Over weight women like clothes-why not get someone to model those clothes?

• You know a lot of plus size models are healthy they workout a lot and they eat healthy majority of time. Not all plus size models are morbidly obese or are promoting obesity they are promoting body positivity which I think we need there are a lot of young girls and guys suffering with body dysmorphia which is a horrible way to be it messes with your head. I know that they're are models out there who are overweight and unhealthy which can inspire people to be the same way just like extremely thin models inspire people to want to be thin. I think everyone should be excepted no matter their shape or size, everyone is beautiful in there own whether they are thin, curvy, chubby, obese etc.

• I'm specifically talking about the few models who are severely unhealthy, while promoting loving yourself (which everyone should regardless of how you look), which to them means forget being healthy and everyone should respect them otherwise that's mean and such.

• Yeah I understand what your saying

• Advertising isn't forcing obesity down childrens throats. But that being said, there should not be advocates from an unhealthy lifestyle. I dont think that people should be shamed by their appearance, but we have a bad habit about either saying "youre absolutely perfect" or "youre absolutely horrible" when we should be saying "youre an amazing person, but we care about your health and you need to make a change". Being a little chubby won't hurt, but being obese or morbidly obese is unhealthy and should be discouraged. We should have "you can do it!!" Ad campaigns instead of unconditional negativity or positivity. Also, if im not mistaken, plus size models start at size 6, which is in so way plus size.

• I think they're necessary because not everyone wants to look like a Victoria's Secret model and not everyone wants to be thin. As hard as it is to believe, it's true. It's just smart business practice to cater to everyone, regardless if you like their weight or not.

• As long as you're healthy inside, it's fine. It's totally possible to be fat and healthy, some people just can't get rid of the weight no matter what they do. And some can. Tess Holiday claims that she's been to doctor plenty of times and she's happy and healthy. It's about your lifetstyle and what you eat that makes you healthy or not, not your size.

I can attest, I'm skinny as hell with a "healthy" bmi, but the way I eat and my lifestyle is sooo bad, I always wonder why I haven't had a heartattack yet. Everytime I go to the doctor, I'm told I need to eat better and excersize more to lower my blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar considering diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure run in my family. But I just procrastinating and lazy

And Tess Holiday is hot as hell to me because she's confident, and she has a pretty face 😄. She own's it, I love that about her.

• I think the have the right to be happy in whatever size they are. Why do people get so fucking offended? I will never know..

• It's not that they are promoting unhealthy habits, it's to make us plus size women Feel empowered and beautiful. Some of us plus size girls and women can't really lose weight sometimes it's just in our genes. I come from a big family and it's not because we eat a lot, it's just how God made us. We receive so much hate because we are big, "ugly," "gross," and "unhealthy"... I'm perfectly healthy but being called names hurts... I can't help my size... I would give anything to be skinny but I accept the way I look cause I'm beautiful in my own way, I can't speak for others though. God just wanted some of us to be big beautiful women and we deserve models to promote that we are all beautiful people no matter our size

• there is no model

• I completely agree with you, as someone who is on the taller, slimmer side with a BMI of around 18, I find that at one point everyone was like "Oh to be a model you have to be teeny tiny and the tallest girl going around" then curvier women begin putting forward the idea of body shaming facing bigger women saying that they too can be models (which is perfectly fine) but what I find strange is that the people saying that "YES! curvy women are all a man wants! They don't want some stick thin bony model and why do we advertise clothes with stick thin bony models anyway? It's so unrealistic" Like ok cool thats your opinion but there are infact naturally skinny girls out there that could be healthier than an obese 'curvy' women. I completely agree like what are our children going to grow up thinking? Society needs to advertise that all body types are beautiful in their own way.

• I believe the honor of winning a bid on a style or becoming a success with clothing belongs to those who can make anyone any size look fabulous.

I believe that we should invest in the real Americans and people in the world. It is good business. Sex sells and so does love. All sizes are lovable and deserving of adoration. It is not a bad t hing to write about. Freedom to feel good about yourself begins with forcing others to see people as beautiful creatures regardless of their looks. We are no longer shallow. Lovingly, ME

• I think it teaches individuals who are over weight that its ok - when it's not. Being overweight is just as detrimental to health as being under weight, and something which should not be encouraged.

• i dont have an issue with plus sized models coz they show the society we live in although i dont condone obesity as it leads to illness

• After years of underweight models it's only fair to have some bigger girls. There are a lot of us, hence advertising for our clothes. There are now more models in the average to healthy range as well. BMI has been known for it's inacuraccy.

• I think it is okay to include people who are heavier, because THERE ARE people who are heavier and some of them are just born that way... but there should be a limit. It's okay to have a few extra pounds but being morbidly obese is a health issue.

• I believe everyone has an opinion and everyone should just let people be who they want to be. You don't like plus sized models? Fine. But they're not hurting anybody. They're "encouraging obesity" the same way regular models are "promoting anorexia".

• I like all bodies to be seen in media and in magazines because a lot of people are built differently. But I agree with the Tess Holiday statement. All bodies are beautiful and if a plus size model agrees with that they deserve a spotlight chance.
    Its wrong to teach kids to starve themselves to be skinny but its also wrong to teach them its okay to be obese.

• More from Girls
    17