When are you too young to wear thongs/g-strings?

I have a friend and her daughter is wanting to go panty shopping for herself...She is 14yrs old and is interested in thongs... I guess my questions is to the women:

At what age are you old enough to start wearing thongs or g-strings? What age would be the "proper" age?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• My mom got me my first thong when I was in like 8th grade, 12 or 13 years old. It was really ugly and frilly and unbearably uncomfortable so I never wore it. She told me it was to see if I liked it and that it isn't proper underwear to wear to school, etc. I think she got it for me as a learning experience or something. Under those conditions I think its fine, but not for her to wear to school and show off, which might be the result if she's the one initiating the idea of wearing thongs. I think the proper age is 18 personally, after you leave high school. The girls in my high school wore thongs as a statement of their sexuality and it just appeared slutty. That's just my opinion though, I might be too closed minded

• It is so uncomfortable! I tried one on ONCE and I never bought one it does make you look slutty and stuff girls wear them all the time at school

• You bring up some great points... I will share this with my friend. I don't think you are closed minded at all. Thank you

What Girls Said 25

• I got my first at 14, its not slutty its just more revealing if she really wants one I say let her try one :)

• my mom always says...as long as I live under her roof and/or she pays for everything for me then I must obey her (including clothes like things)...I think 16ish is a good age to try it but it is very slutty in high school

• i was allowed to wear it. my mom didn't see a problem with it cause it wasn't like I was walking around with the black string sticking out from my jeans

• i got my first thong when I was in the 6th grade... after all they are underwear. I find them more comfortable than panties... and the panty line is a huge concern for us women... it gives and awful shape and look to our back sides...

• 7 year olds shouldn't be wearing them.

• my mother didn't want me to get a thong by I still got my first thong on my 14th birthday behind her back, my cousin bought me one because I wanted one but I never wore it to school, I js was curious about it, it was uncomfortable to have on all day but when I got older, I got a little more use to it. but really I only have like 3 thongs which I use for special occassion with my boyfriend. I think the proper age is the age at which one can give consent for sex because it does cause unwanted attention from guys if visible.

nothing if one if they buy a couple for her as long as they talk to her about it, that its not for school etc.

• i started wearing one at thirteen because I was sick of having my bikini panty things going up my butt. Kinda seems like thongs wouldn't fix the problem but I'd rather have a string up my butt than a bunch of material. I started to wear them for comfort and I love not having panty lines and I feel sexy about myself when I wear one. (I did even when I was the only one who knew I wore one too) It's an easy ego boost and a comfortable solution to a tacky problem. I didn't show it off or brag about it. If that's what she's going to do I think that's a problem. But I don't think 14 is a bad age to be wearing a thong. In fact, it's the perfect age. That's when girls kind of start to come into their own (not to mention notice other girls panty lines) and thongs somehow help. Some days I wear panties just because but most days I like wearing my g-strings :) If she wants a thong for the right reasons, I say the girl should wear a thong.

• I think that once a girl know about the whole sexual impact then she is old enough

• I started wearing them when I was 13, more of a peer pressure thing really (found them uncomfy at first) but I got used to them and wore them alot.

• I would have to cut the limit at Elementary school for SURE!

I actual started wearing some in Middle school at the end of 7th grade , but I was always 1 sometimes 2 years older than my class mates.

But again I think you should be able to wear them when ever you want.

I don't wear them cause I'm trying to be sexy or hot or anything I always wore them cause I hated underwear lines.

• I got my first thong when I was 13 and ever since they're all I wear :)

I feel a girl who has hit puberty is old enough to wear them.

• if your daughter has to ask her parents to wear one then she's too young

• when I was five I wanted to wear thongs..

• 14 you can start. most girls that are that age wear them already.

• I feel that age is relative. My mom let me have my first thong when I was 11.

• Ha, I love this question. I don't know if you watched it, but there was a sex education programme on, with Anna Richardson, and she was campaigning for shops to stop 'pimping our kids' i.e they wanted shops to stop selling inappropriate clothing for girls, and I mean girls under the age of 13. One of the items was a padded bra for six year olds, and both shops came back and said the padded bras were not to enhance the cleavage, but to give the girls some modesty. Now, the whole point in a padded bra is to enhance the cleavage, and why does a six year old girl, who doesn't have any boobs yet need to 'hide' her modesty...

I think 14 isn't necessarily too young for a thong, but I do feel that young girls are being a little too adventrous with clothing, I mean, what ever happened to having a childhood? and although 14 is said to be in teenage years, they are still too young to understand all the messages they give out when they wear particular things. I don't like it, you see young girls walking around supermarkets with their skirt so far up, when they bend over I can see EVERYTHING.

• Thongs and G-strings are no stament of someones sexuality for one thing, I first wore then around 16 I think and before I started having sex. It was more of; there just so comfortable, don't leave pantie lines and look great (even if I was the only one seeing it, its a confidence thing).

I can totally see how some guys/girls would precieve a girl wearing a thong especially if its showing as something slutty..Thongs are kind of linked to sex and that image since you see so many models, sex symbols wearing them (in revealing photos, p*rn etc.) and really your sometimes wearing them for someone else not yourself (boyfriend, s/o).

I do think there's a proper age to wear them 16+ is what I would say is a good age. If I saw some 14 yearold wearing one.. that's to young and kinda gross. If some girls pulling them out of her pants for everyone to see, she's just asking for it.

• Statement* :p

• she's old enough, girls like thong because they don't show panity line and are comfy and cute. my mom bought me one when I was 14, but really it depends on the girl and her folks...oh and my dad did the laundry and seen mine so he don't care either. If she is wanting one to show off and act sexual it might be best to make her wait a few years.

• Personally I have never worn a thong and I'm 17, you can always wear spanks if you don't want your undies to show, I just think it's gross to have a string up my ass all day xc

• I started wearing them at 15. RARELY... the only reason I wore them was to avoid panty lines. I HATE panty lines.. To this day I only wear them like 3 times a month... Depends on what I'm wearin.

• I never liked them, but I had friends that started wearing them with 12 or even 11, so I don't think 14 is that bad.

As long as her jeans is not extremely low cut or her skirt a little short, no one is gonna see it anyways, exept her boyfriend if she has one

• I think that she's old enough to pick out her own underwear. Life is hard enough for that age... choose your battles.

Having said that, I don't have a magic age to give you. I was 18 when I first started wearing them, and my mom saw some in my laundry and she had a problem with it. I was furious! A girls underwear shouldn't be the cause of drama in a household. It's just not that big of a deal.

• And, like mdmaddogmd or whatever said, the reason why I started wearing them in the first place was cause of the panty lines. Seriously. In terms of attractiveness, thongs are not pretty... in my opinion.

• That is a good point. Maybe this isn't a battle that my friend needs to be having. I am sure there are going to be more pressing issues later on in her daughters life. thank you

• In My opinion is no age appropriate the thing is the jeans are low and there will be a time someone will see it and I think That's not the kind of attention a 14 year old Should be aiming for... I would never were it... It s to sex shop look to me...

• its personal, everyone is different , personally I hate them things ! ha ha normally sixteen fifteen is when you should if you want to wear them !

• i think they are very comfortable, like if you drop something and you bend down the thong goes up and everyone can see ! maybe its just me?

• are thongs uncomfortable? why do you hate them?

• it's a matter of personal preference. I have never liked thongs, but back when I was 15 I had a friend who had started wearing them, so maybe it's not that unusual. hey, at least she's not 8.

• Very true... 8 would not have been good.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm not a woman, but my answer would be way over the top for 14.

• Does it really matter? I mean, if a young girl, say 8, wanted to wear a g-string under her shorts would it really matter?

If a girl is wearing a skirt and is planning on doing handstands and cartwheels, then obviously she needs something "covering". But if she's going to have it covered up anyhow, who cares.

• 13 or younger. <-those are kids. At 14-15ish then they start acting differently from kids (though not by a lot).

• As I understand it from me fiancee the pourpose of a thong is so people can't see your underwear lines. Not totally sure if I believe her to this day but I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

• girls get sluts earlier nowadays, its normal.

• Really it is personal preference, as long as she doesn't go around bragging or showing it off, some girls prefer them for comfort over anything.