What does it mean when he says he loves me like a sister?

My boyfriend of four years just told me that he realized he loves me more like a sister than a girlfriend. Now he wants time and space to see how he feels about our future. What does it mean when he says, "I love you like a sister"?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I think it more means that he isn't attracted to you like that anymore. Which is strange if you guys have been dating for like 4 years! I would say give him a little time and space to sort of his feelings. That doesn't mean that you have to wait for him though. Use the space that you are giving each other to discover more about yourself. You may find out after that time, that you don't really like him that way anymore too .. who knows =)Hot Alpha Female

What Guys Said 0

Be the first guy to share opinion!

Earn 1 extra Xper Point for being the first!!

What Girls Said 3

• It is a pure insult especially if you were intimate. He evidently has self-esteem issues or has something to hide where he does not want to become any closer. Or how about "we were friends first". Just as much as an insult. He is trying to be "nice" in his own way of "breaking up" a relationship he evidently is not ready or mature enough to handle. Move on. It's not worth it.

• It means : Don't plan on a ring or making babies. In my opinion, "Wanting space" is a nice way of saying, "sorry, you're just not right for me anymore". All men make up excuses to let us down easier, but any guy that says he "loves you like a sister", is very disturbing.

• He means that he doesn't want to be with you and he's trying to be nice about breaking up with you. At least that's what I would think. Sounds to me like he is just making up an excuse to end the relationship.