Abandoned...The painful experience of a break up

abadoned break upShe helped him pack his stuff. Somehow hoping it would hide the pain.
She glanced at him as he packed his other things. He seemed normal. Like It didn’t bother him. So she continued pretending she felt the same.
She checked around to see if there was anything else he forgot.
She saw his shirt lying on the floor. She picked it up and noticed it was her favorite shirt. She stopped for a minute while he continued to pack in the living room. She snuggled up against it for one last time.
Smelling his cologne. She closed her eyes. And pictured him holding her again.

“You’re holding me too tight”,
He smiles. “I don’t ever want to let you go…”
She mumbles, as he kisses her forehead “Everything will be ok.”
She sighed.
I don’t want to fall in love again. She looked up into his eyes.
For a moment she felt lost, as he looked deeply into hers. “I love you”, he whispered.
That moment, she felt her heart take over her body…

She swallowed the lump in her throat, and shook off the past. She noticed he was already standing by the door, ready to leave. She hurried to the front door, and handed him his shirt.
“Oh thanks,” he said, as he tried to take it from her.
She held on.
She didn’t want to let go… not just yet.
Maybe if she holds on tighter, then everything will be ok.
She looked up at him. But he looked so cold, and distant.
She couldn’t believe this is the same man who made her feel so loved, so accepted, so special…
The man who promised her… forever.

So many things she wanted to say. But she couldn’t open her mouth.
So many emotions possessed her. But she couldn’t move her body.
Their eyes finally meet. An awkward silence surrounds them.
Can he see the pain in my eyes?
Can he feel my heart shattering into pieces?
Can he taste the tears of my soul?
How did we get here…

“I love you” she whispered.
He looked away.
A tear rolled down her cheek.
Please say something… her heart begged.

Still holding onto his shirt, she felt her heart slowly filling up with emptiness, as she watched him walk away.

75

Most Helpful Guy

• I the only thing I can think to say is how great this is. The subject matter of course is sad, but it basically explains how we feel during break ups. We remember a time when everything seemed so perfect, and then we return to the painful present. Great article, even if it did bring a tear to my eye.

Most Helpful Girl

• So sad yet so beautiful! An experience that can reach so many. The love is what makes life worth living, yet it can be taken away from us in an instant and we feel so lost.So amazing how a shirt can represent all that we once had!!! Too bad they couldn't clean out our hearts and our minds as easy as they can clean out a closet and drawers......Sad and heartbreaking!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 4

• I cried.

• Tear to my eye. trying to guess why he left her though :(

• I haven't been back to get my things. It's been three months now. I'm afraid the exchange may be our last.

• Nicely written........

What Girls Said 6

• Great! WOW!!! I couldn't stop reading. I actually felt sick to my stomach, I couldn't breath for a moment. You hit that on the head!! Well written!!!

• Aww I didn't mean to make anyone feel sad. .. I'm sorry.

Thank you for the comments though :)

• All I can say is that this made me cry because that's exactly how I feel. I hate that I love him......

• Awesome, very touching indeed! wonder hw people can become js cold and distant.....

• Wow, that made me cry (almost). Very well written, it made my insides squeez together, like I was the one feeling that, and begging silently with all my heart that they would stay. Really great writing.

• it's like you're telling the story of my life...