I've heard of people taking breaks (I'm not totally sure if I know what that means). The way I understand the definition is the couple isn't monogamous for a short period, but anticipates they'll likely be committed again.
Would you get back into a relationship with a person that had sex with someone a day or week after the break started?
I'm just joking by the memes. I'm curious what your opinion is.
- I wouldn't be with them if they kissed someone during the break
- I only wouldn't be with them if they had sex during the break
- I wouldn't be bothered by them having sex with someone else during the break
- I wouldn't like them having sex while on a break but I would be with them again
Most Helpful Girl
I voted A.
Though I doubt I'd ever accept being on a "break" with my partner, since "breaks" usually mean "we will break up in the near future but right now we're half-assing it just to see how it would feel".
Anyway. If I DID take a break with my partner, we would set some VERY clear rules concerning the break (which is why I had such an issue with the Ross and Rachel break, they just made assumptions of their own, without setting any clear rules and that was dumb). So, clear rules. Or, well, just one clear rule.
- We're still monogamous to one another even though we're on a break, hence no kissing/touching/flirting/having sex/sexting and whatever with other people. We're still IN the relationship, we're just not seeing each other for a period of time. Preferably a set period of time as well (a week, 2 weeks, a month?), so we know when to contact each other again. The time apart would be used to reflect on the relationship and your own wants/needs, not to fuck around and pretend as though you're single again.
That's what a break would look like if I were to take one with my hypothetical partner. No misunderstandings, no gray areas. We would be still be completely monogamous and we would take x amount of time to think things over, that's it. And once the break is over, we'll discuss what we figured out and then either break up entirely or give it another shot.
So, if he went and kissed/had sex etc with someone, I would definitely not consider going back to him since he broke the rules.4
Most Helpful Guy
I would very much be against the break to start as for me that is like a cop out, its like leaving the house for a week and expecting the trash to suddenly disapear, its stupid and illogical so I would probably break up with them if they where adament about a break. In the unlikely occurence that a break did occur, if they had sex with some one or even dated or kissed some one else that is cheating and my response would be to assume they simply wanted to cheat without "cheating" a loop hole if you will. So not only would it be cheating and I would break off any ties to them but it would be even worse because they thought I was to stupid to realize what their intentions where.2
- Show AllShow Less