Guys, GUYS! If you sent 😘 To an ex what would you mean by it?

I sent my ex a message on his bday and he replied with a "thanks 😘 I've been thinking about you"
i broke it off, but you think there is hope for future reconciliation? Thanks!!!

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Even without the emoticon, saying "thanks, I've been thinking about you" alone would be a clear indication there was more than hope- the emoticon makes it pretty clear as well. However, as Siddhārtha Gautama (also known as 'Buddha') said when discussing the difference between forgiveness and reconciliation, while forgiveness is one way reconciliation is two ways.

"Reconciliation — patisaraniya-kamma — means a return to amicability, and that requires more than forgiveness. It requires the reestablishing of trust. If I deny responsibility for my actions, or maintain that I did no wrong, there’s no way we can be reconciled. Similarly, if I insist that your feelings don’t matter, or that you have no right to hold me to your standards of right and wrong, you won’t trust me not to hurt you again. To regain your trust, I have to show my respect for you and for our mutual standards of what is and is not acceptable behavior; to admit that I hurt you and that I was wrong to do so; and to promise to exercise restraint in the future. At the same time, you have to inspire my trust, too, in the respectful way you conduct the process of reconciliation. Only then can our friendship regain a solid footing."

If you broke it off, and you want to return to a relationship that does not simply go a while and then end again- it is important that, no matter how willing he is to forgive, you approach it in a way in which you make things right. Why did you break things off- why do you feel differently now? I was taught by a mature Christian, on the matter of reconciliation, that it is important that one approach one's own faults not by saying "I'm sorry", but rather saying "I was wrong, please forgive me".

If you felt wronged in some fashion, it is important to discuss it and then consider how it is handled. My ex-wife was verbally abusive, controlling, and we were in a power-and-control relationship: when she wanted to reconcile, long after my attempts failed, I recognised she was apologising for the wrong things and not recognizing the areas that truly hurt me the most. If she had just been willing to consider the real hurts, it might have gone differently- but by then the relationship would have only been toxic and hurt our child, rather than helped anyone.

I also recommend any true reconciliation be done face to face. Explore it a little further personally, and then ask if he would like to meet some time to catch up.

• Wow, thank u for all that wisdom, I agree. The biggest thing is communication about feelings, problems... Getting to the heart on matters. I moved far away though so I guess it doesn't really matter anyway :(

• You are most certainly extremely welcome. I will give you the same kind of question in reply that my father's therapist once gave him after my mother was stationed in another country soon after they met- why doesn't it matter? Why must it be over? If you really feel there is something worth pursuing here, then pursue it. Do not let distance or practical concerns block you- I waited years and crossed an ocean to meet my current wife, then she used her savings to fly here and visit me, and within months we married and she is working towards citizenship. If I had let those kinds of worries stop me, or she had- we would not be together, and there is no question that this woman is my soul mate. If you I am not willing to surpass all obstacles, to risk it all for someone I love- either it is not the right person, or I am not yet ready to invest what it takes for a lifelong relationship and should focus on growing myself. Don't ever settle for halfway.

What Guys Said 22

• Yea, it means he stil likes u

• If you want to be with him then doit.

If the opposite be done with it.

Either he has feelings or he wants to get laid.

No one truly knows till he is seen it with his own eyes.

• Haha well I moved 100s miles away which he knows.. So no sex

• Well it's either that or he's worried you might bad mouth him around town and he's trying to be nice so it doesn't happen.

• The expression "I've been thinking about you" is way way stronger.

If i write that it's because i wish getting intimate with that person.

• right on schedule... every 2 weeks u ask about your ex.

lol

• it depends if he moved on if you want to know then ask him out on a date

• I moved far away 😔

• if you broke up in good terms then he could be just be talking to you out of respect. I talk like that with my ex girlfriends but I would never date them again but since they broke up with me on good terms I just respect it. If you regret what you did then you should just tell him and see what he says?

• Maybe... But what he sent was kinda flirty, and texts before were as well. There is no point me telling him though as we are like 1000 miles apart 😭

• i think he has some feelings for you probably, thats why he said he has been thinking about you

• Yeah... I dunno we've been broken up over a year but I saw him 4 months ago and he seemed kinda emotional :(

• Thanks, I appreciate ;)

• no prob :)

• He probably thinks so.
    That's life.

• It's better to move on rather than getting back with an ex because the same issues as to why you broke up will still be there.

• It's... Just a smiley.

• It means he want to rip your heart out and give it a kiss while winking at you. He probably been playing too much Mortal Kombat!

• Last time I sent that emoji to an ex it was followed by "kill yourself" because she'd cheated on me with my best friend and had told me she wanted me back.

• No cheating involved.

• Then no. Exes are exes for a reason. And that reason will always be there. I was always a firm believer of second chances (and third and fourth, so on) but when you've tried as many times as I have with as many exes, you realise that it simply doesn't work. Finally learnt to stop chasing the past and it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

• Yes. If you broke it off for reasons you think were stupid,
    I'd say, 'go for it'.

If you broke up for serious reasons, then just don't...

• sounds like he wants that

• He definitely still likes you

• Is it the kissy face, what he said or combo of the two? Just curious :)

• Pretty much everything you typed up there, the text message and the fact that you broke things off

• Drunk or sent to wrong person

• I'd only send that if I wanted them back.

• it would obviously mean he wanted to lick your feet

• Certainly sounds flirty.

• He probably has some feelings for you

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• I think so. If you wanted, I doubt he'd say no right now.