My ex acts like I don’t exist?

Since our breakup about a month ago we haven’t had any contact at all. When we ended things we both apologised for our mistakes and I said I wanted to be on civil terms with him. So I thought it wasn’t a bad break up. But since we go to the same university I have bumped into him twice at the gym, and both times he would literally walk right past where I’m working out and not even look at/acknowledge me. If I move to an area of the gym where he is he’ll leave and go somewhere else so he’s not near me.

Since I actually like him as a person and we have mutual friends I was planning on just smiling at him but being preoccupied but he just acts like he doesn’t know me? Why is that? It kind of hurts since I care about him/ still have feelings even though I know we wouldn’t work in a relationship so wouldn’t want him back.

I understand everyone’s saying to move on, and I’m doing my best to. But with all his other exes he’s remained friends/ on ok terms with them... he even follows them on social media and likes their posts. So why can’t he hand me the same respect?

1110

What Guys Said 10

• I am the exact same way with my exes. I don't talk to them once the relationship is over period. However the break up is fresh for both of you so maybe that's why he isn't ready to jump right into just friends mode yet.

• Why do you ignore your exes?

• Because I don't like them. They remind me so a past failure and I don't want anything to do with them. There purpose was not for friendship it was for more. I'm not going to downgrade the situation to a friend. I don't see the point of hanging on to them either.

• I get you. My ex though keeps in touch with his other exes and even past hookups/fwbs. I don’t know why I’m the only one cut out completely.

• let me be brutally honest here to save any confusion... he is you ex. thats it. full stop and no need to have any further contact. you just need to get over it and move on. i imagine he has

• if you have feelings for him you and want the relationship back you have to tell him. you have to be willing to face the potential of rejection but the painful truth is a great lesson and you may have many more love lessons before finding someone who doesn't blow balloons until they pop and then act shocked, surprised see ya later goodbyes~

• I do have feelings for him, but he started behaving badly in the relationship and ultimately I wasn’t happy. I don’t think getting back together would sort out those issues.

• the more you commit to any individual and work with them... the more your connection will develop. it's a trick of nature to think that someone isn't going to work out... you'd be surprised how much a relationship can evolve. you might be right in this particular case... he is young enough to not want to grow up too fast

• He probably ignores you because he still has to cope with the change. If he's always reminded of you it's pretty hard for him to move on and don't end up beeing stuck in the past. Give him some time and space. You'll maybe get on a shared base again one day.

• So you dumped him?

• Yes, but it was because he started messing me about towards the end of our relationship. So I’m my mind we were both at fault.

• Likely in his mind it's not the same, and staying friends with you makes him suffer.

• So? He's your ex

• He’s my ex who I still care about. Just because we don’t have people in our lives as boyfriends doesn’t mean we want them out of our life completely.

• That's what ex are meant to do

• Not really.. I wouldn’t ignore an old friend so why would I ignore an ex? At one point you cared for that person.

• You have different definition but basically ex do that

• Sounds like he found some one new

• Maybe he still hurts.

• Time to let him go. You'll eventually get over it

What Girls Said 11

• Everyone handles break ups differently, sometimes we aren’t really sure what to do. While for you, you want to be casual and civil, it might be easier for him to not acknowledge you or keep his distance. Yeah, it’s mean, but if I were you I’d just accept his process and give him his space and time. Maybe things will be better after it has blown over.

• He is trying his best to get over you by pretending you don't exist. the pain is real. coz if your presence doesn't affect him at all, he'd be on speaking terms with you right now and be casual. for him to completely shut down like that with you, it means you hurt him deep like the well. lol

• its a good thing it helps you get over him faster. Would you rather he treats you like crap or treats you like a nice person which way would make it harder for you to move on?

• Nice person, because I miss having him as a friend just not a boyfriend

• ahhh well maybe it better for him to ignore you to let you go. Maybe try in a year or a few months but give him the space or if he feels bad he come to you and say sorry for his behaviour.

• I've had moments where I thought why can't we be friendly, sometimes the other person simply doesn't want to. Go through the emotional process and you'll be fine. Take care

• Who cares what he does or does not do to you. It is over. Just do what you think is the right thing to do and do not put expectations on his behavior.

• If he leaves whenever you come into the facility, he's clearly aware you're there. He does acknowledge you but he tries to "pretend" that he's not watching you because if he truly didn't care he wouldn't leave when you show up.

• U exist u take space on earth problem solved

• You're his ex, not his girlfriend. Get over it

• Maybe because he still likes you? I would do the same if I couldn't get over someone.

• Just a way to cope with this

• He prob needs more time... feels to awkward or still likes you

• He is done with you